AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows 7 64-bit version WARNING!  (Read 6201 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Windows 7 64-bit version WARNING!
« on: January 09, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »
Although this is not an RB problem directly, I hope AN will allow this post to remain, as I fear a lot of others may get in the same dire straits as me!

A warning to all, I've installed Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit version on my new Acer 9920G - once it's been installed, you're stuck with it - I've got the factory default back up disks for Acer 32 bit Vista and all the Acer extras, they will not load/install, just come up with error messages.

I've not attempted to load RB yet, as my RB is still away with W&S, but far worse is that I've got to scour the 'net to find all the 64-bit drivers for my lap-top, none of the 32-bit drivers will run, I've not as yet found the necessary driver for the wireless connection, so can't even get on line with my 9920G laptop, having to commandeer my wife's again.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to re-load the 32-bit versions, once 64 has been loaded - Win 7/64 is using the same HDD partitions as the OE software.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

SpeedWagon

Re: Windows 7 64-bit version WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 03:06:33 AM »
Have you tried booting from the Vista install CD?  I got errors when I tried running setup for Windows 7 64 bit when running Vista 32 bit.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
John,

Why on earth would you want to downgrade to 32 bit?

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 08:01:20 AM »
Why on earth would you want to downgrade to 32 bit?

I think the clue is in this part:

I've got to scour the 'net to find all the 64-bit drivers for my lap-top, none of the 32-bit drivers will run, I've not as yet found the necessary driver for the wireless connection, so can't even get on line with my 9920G laptop, having to commandeer my wife's again.

:-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:24:24 AM »
John,

I find it hard to believe that 64 bit drivers for a new Acer laptop are not available as they have an upgrade programme for Vista operating sytems sold between June 26, 2009 through January 31, 2010. Acer makes laptops for many OEMs. I've just upgraded a Dell Inspiron to Win 7 64 bit and all the drivers were available.

Have you tried asking Acer tech support?

You could try one of the many companies that supply driver search and update engines:

e.g. http://www.driveraccess.com/app/pages/acer.aspx

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Peter

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:20 AM »
I also installed Windows 7, 64 bit on my new computer, you are correct in that there is no going back unless you completely format the HDD and start all over again. I found the drivers required for ANRB by simply searching this forum, so had no problems with RB at all. However, it does start to get complicated if you have to search for a "missing .dll".
There were none extra required for ANRB, but if you also run other similar programmes, you must be sure that the .dll is obtained from an authentic source. I had a saga starting last October which I solved by a stroke of luck only yesterday by visiting the "ftdi 2xx" official website.

Peter

bearcat

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »
Some Acer laptops used to have a hidden partition with an image of the original install, so it may be best not to erase any partitions on restoring your laptop

To restore I think you have to start in safe mode and follow the instructions

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »
Hi all,   
Thanks for all the replies and interest!

Speedwagon, I didn't go for the upgrade install because it'll only install the 32-bit version, so I made sure I prepared the Acer Factory Default DVDs Vista install 1 and 2, Drivers and Applications non Disk 3, I have got some of the drivers to install and run OK now, but I've still got to get one for the WiFi, so I can get on-line and download direct to the 9920G.

Tom, Dave is spot on (as usual)! all I've got now is Windows 7 64-bit, I've lost all the extras  and applications that come as a package (Works, Office, Digital TV) - the Acer upgrade doesn't apply to the 9920G, and as above if 32-bit Vista is loaded, only 32-bit Win 7 will install!     I've not gone to Acer Technical Support yet - as that is a very expensive route.     I am gathering the drivers from sources such as the one you provided, thanks.

Peter, I've tried re-formatting, but as soon as I try to load from the Acer back up disks or the Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit disk, all seems to be going OK, the load freezes up with an error message either 0xa000000e in the Acer back up, or 0x80070017 in the Win 7 32-bit.

Bearcat, yes I'm finding 4 partitions on one HDD, as installed originally by Acer, but I've not been able to alter the sizes or delete them (as yet).     I can't Restore as the 64-bit version has overwritten the 32-bit install - a brand new unformatted HDD may be the only way to get over this little hurdle.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, all are very welcome.

I wanted to warn others that installing the 64-it version may not be quite as straightforward as you'd think, and make sure you've got all relevant drivers before you take the plunge!

ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

knight01

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 11:05:56 AM »
Most windows 7 drivers are now available.  I have a Asus laptop that is about 4 years old (it came with Windows XP originally) and when I installed Windows 7 I had no drivers (no drivers for graphics card, wireless, usb, sound, etc).  It was like using Windows safe mode.

I followed advice I got from another forum.  All I did was get the wireless driver first from the Intel website to get the internet working.  Then I just ran Windows Update and windows update picked up all the missing drivers and installed them automatically.

hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:09:33 AM by knight01 »

CoastGuardJon

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 12:43:22 PM »
Hi knight01, thanks for that, I've managed to get most drivers loaded now, direct from the Acer support site.    I will enable the Windows Update and see how things go.