anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Antenna connector type ?  (Read 3982 times)

phil2004

Antenna connector type ?
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
Hi, I'm looking for information on the indoor antenna plug type ...is it a TNC or a SMA type?
also ... is it possible to convert from a bnc to the airnav connector type without large signal loss?.  Any help/information would be much appreciated!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Antenna connector type ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:08:06 PM »

Terry

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »
Hi phil2004.
                 I have been using the SMA to BNC plug since day one with the RB and tried several antennas with the SMA and SMA to BNC connector.I personally have seen no loss whatsoever using 4 differenmt antennas with both type of plugs.

Hope this helps,Regards Terry.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:05:07 PM by Terry »

phil2004

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 04:35:24 PM »
That's a great link ....just what I needed ...thanks!

and thanks Terry ...points noted ....I hate to go to all the expense and trouble of running 15mtrs+ of  westflex to find huge losses in the connectors and/or setup

While on the subject... anybody got any ideas/opinions/experience of good quality outdoor antennas for the ANRB ?

Terry

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
Hi again,
            There ae a few antennas on the market to choose from,my personal antennas are the one i`m using at the moment is the BS1100 with the high gain whip(at the moment i have 380 A/C on my flights but i`m, in a superb position),my stand by antanna is the Watson,another very good antenna.I forgot to mention i also run a pre-amp.From this location(Banbury)i can reach just over the scottish border,into Holland,just short(15mls)of Charles De Gaulle airport,clear the channel islands into France,into cornwall,most of wales,20mls short of Cork,back up covering Cumbria and  into Scotland,GlynH runs a Watson and also lives in Banbury,ask him for his opinion,he`ll be only to happy to give you his views.

Best regards Terry.

phil2004

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »
Yep, that's a fantastic location Terry... especially at 500ft and sooo much traffic from all points. Would love to see a screenshot sometime of your polar diagram. I'm going to look at antennas online for the next few days on and off then decide on one. Naturally I want one that works well but also is weather proof. I have a 4 section mast with a maximum height of about 80ft. I need to test it as soon as the weather settles before I extend it at all for safety reasons...it tilts over at 90 degrees for working on and checking, so I will add the antenna at this time ...I do have one on it now but it is connected with rg58 or something cheap but I do still get over 200nm at only 22ft height and also use a preamp (M-75) and on the 'other' box. Again, thanks for all the information ....much appreciated...best regards, Phil