AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft symbols facing North, flight heading SouthEast?  (Read 6565 times)

TGA388

Aircraft symbols facing North, flight heading SouthEast?
« on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »
Hi all, has anyone else noticed this? I seem to get this only on Kuwait Airways 772 flights and a very few BA 772's.

It is very odd as the flight direction is generally SouthEast, but not always, and the aircraft sysmbol is facing North, causing it to look like the flight is tracking sideways or even backwards!

It is not a major problem and it is not unique to V3.13, does anyone know why this happens?

Update: I have added a screenshot (hopefully) to show this happening. BA198 heading NorthWest  to LHR G-VIIM is the aircraft involved.

Best regards, Dave
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:03:40 PM by TGA388 »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Aircraft symbols facing North, flight heading SouthEast?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
Hi all, has anyone else noticed this? I seem to get this only on Kuwait Airways 772 flights and a very few BA 772's.

It is very odd as the flight direction is generally SouthEast, but not always, and the aircraft sysmbol is facing North, causing it to look like the flight is tracking sideways or even backwards!

It is not a major problem and it is not unique to V3.13, does anyone know why this happens?

Update: I have added a screenshot (hopefully) to show this happening. BA198 heading NorthWest  to LHR G-VIIM is the aircraft involved.

G-VIIM often fails to send either track or groundspeed (which is why the latter is missing too in your screenshot).

RadarBox interprets missing track data as a bearing of 000 degrees, which is why the aircraft symbol is pointing north.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

TGA388

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
Many thanks, that explains why I get this 'problem' I guess we will just have to live with it.

Best regards, Dave.

bearcat

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks, I wondered why this happened. In my case it's the Kuwaiti 777 9K-AOA that always seems to point north

DaveReid

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
Thanks, I wondered why this happened. In my case it's the Kuwaiti 777 9K-AOA that always seems to point north

Yes, unlike G-VIIM above, which sometimes sends track, 9K-AOA never seems to (in common with quite a few other 777s).

Ironically these aircraft, and all the other 777s that don't transmit track, do send heading - perhaps a future version of RadarBox could make use of this information to orient the aircraft symbol correctly ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Pinza

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
Here is another culprit:

G-MANH ATP Mode-s 400749 Atlantic Airways

Screenshot attached.

Fenris

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
Many of the ATPs I see appear to be stationary over West Africa! Feel lucky you see one over the correct country ;-)

DaveReid

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
The ATP is so slow it often flies backwards in a strong headwind  :-)

HKG

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »
I have problems with the Air Hong Kong A300s, which always face north no matter what direction they are actually flying. Heading always shows 360 in the list of flights and the aircraft symbol always points to the north.