AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Magnetic Variation  (Read 1882 times)

homestea

Magnetic Variation
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:41:38 AM »
I there any way to input a magnetic variation factor into Radarbox so that the headings called out for aircraft to turn to are accurately shown in the flight data fields.  It seems the software is set to true north.... Is this correct?

The compass radar rings can be a bit deceiving where i live;  the variation is 13 degrees!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 03:48:16 AM by homestea »

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
Re: Magnetic Variation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 07:52:27 AM »
I there any way to input a magnetic variation factor into Radarbox so that the headings called out for aircraft to turn to are accurately shown in the flight data fields.  It seems the software is set to true north.... Is this correct?

The compass radar rings can be a bit deceiving where i live;  the variation is 13 degrees!

Don't be misled by what you see on the screen - the column on RadarBox labelled Hdg actually shows track, not heading.  I've given up trying to get this changed as AirNav have stated that showing the wrong label is "more helpful" than showing the correct one :-)

See www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=1716.msg13553;topicseen#msg13553 for a longer discussion on this.

Anyway, track is always relative to true north, anywhere in the world, which is why I guess is why the maps are thus oriented.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour