anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Strange Object  (Read 2848 times)

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
Strange Object
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »
I appreciate this is a little off-topic but I've just seen an object fly overhead Leicester southbound as I got out my car at 09:25pm (actual heading was about 200 deg. towards Coventry) with just a single light, no strobes or red and green nav lights. It was below the current cloud base which is quite low broken cumulus - looking at the city light reflection on the clouds I'd estimate cloud base is below 5000ft. Interestingly it passed virtually overhead and was COMPLETELY SILENT and it was too dark to make out any kind of shape. Unfortunately my RB is not hooked up to my laptop at the moment so I can't try and verify if there was anything emitting an ADS B or Mode S signal that could have identified it. This is a serious post guys, just wondered if anybody has seen anything like it tonight or at any other time and did anybody see anything via their RB.
14NM SSE of EGNX

meagain

Re: Strange Object
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »
Seen several times, no transponder though-
http://www.skylanterns.net/

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 11:41:59 AM »
Often seen in "stream" from weddings and other parties, scarey when you see them for the first time.
Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

pure3000

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
i agree with the lanterns i spotted several last night about 12:10am scarred the life out of me until someone explained. lol

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:18:45 PM »
Hi yep "Chinese laterns" it will be they caused a UFO scare locally here in Bangor Northern Ireland last New Years Eve. The local paper asked if anyone could identify the object.

It was reported by several people and I and my family watched it also on that occassion, so I replied to the editor.  

Interestingly they then did a feature on me in their "Mad About" spot on my interest in aviation.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 04:06:03 PM »
thanks for the replies all, chinese lanterns would make sense!
14NM SSE of EGNX

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:47:07 PM »
Hi all

Right on cue I am at the Radarbox on the computer with the radio on. It is a crystal clear night and so I have the curtains open to see the aircraft ott.

Suddenly through the trees is a large orange light and it seem s to be heading for me!! I ran down stairs and into te rear garden.

A chinese lantern launched from a few gardens up it passed over the house climbing slowly in a gentle breeze. I went to the front of the house watching it climb. It really does look very UFOish as it gets higher looking like a steady red light rather than the flicker which was clear at low level over the house.

Anyhow it was heading South Easterly from Bangor towards the coastline when last seen!!

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

g0seg

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 12:56:40 PM »
Hi all, yes, i`ve seen the dreaded lantern UFOs a couple of time up here but the night before last - New Years eve, i saw something that a: didn`t show up on the Radarbox and b: was defintely controlled. A ball of orange light just below the cloudbase - about 6 thousand feet above ferrybridge C power station in West Yorks two miles from here travelling due north. It then swung towards the east and accelerated from a slow rate of knots to high speed then vanished into strata but still illuminated the cloud base for about a minute. The same object reappeared  back over the power station traavelling at high speed then headed northwest eventually vanishing into cloud. No idea what it was but it appeared to be a fair size but was silent - we were a mile away from it when it finally vanished. What it was, not a clue! Will have to keep off the meths i reckon or the boot polish was going hard!! Bi now, Roger - g0seg