anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK, so where are all the Flybe aircraft ??? (Radarbox nr Exeter, Devon)  (Read 78772 times)

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
Re: OK, so where are all the Flybe aircraft ??? (Radarbox nr Exeter, Devon)
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
Hi Everybody, a personnal plea. Could we keep the forum good natured and good humured, I could watch Eastenders for the depression bit.
Have a nice day,  Anorak Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

Fenris

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »

What the computer feels needs updating is any blank field.  Therefore if you list by all time and click on each column header, it will place those with blank values at the top.   These are the ones you now need to manually updatein your database explorer.

OK, but would it be unreasonable to ask that the incomplete list be extracted and presented with the ability to move to the database entry in question for ease of use?

satcom

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
I'm new to the forum...not an RB users , but an SBS1 owner ....however  I help Bev at COAA maintain the Mlat network and just thought I should clear up a few myths about what Mlat is all about.

Multilateration is totally dependant on a contained , secure network within planeplotter itself.

Its not just a matter of letting raw data flow ...and thats it !

Every ground station must be precisely located and validated on an individual basis.
Could Airnav do that ?
Do they have the resources to moniotor it 18 hours a day and carry out continual
network tests ?
And at what cost to the user ?

Planeplotter is not to be seen as a competitor....its an add on to both SBS1 and RB.

Sadly only SBS1 users can , at present , act as ground stations for PP Mlat...but , RB users can still have Mlat facilities , provided they pay the one off licence fee and an annual fee of just 12 Euros plus tax.

What I think Andre' should be concentrating on is making RB useable within the PP Mlat network.
Look upon PP Mlat as an asset rather han a threat.

If RB users could deliver raw data in the correct format , then they too could become PP MLat Ground Stations and Master users for free [ no annual 12 euro fee ]
Their own data would then be included in Mlat fixes providing increased accuracy and coverage.

An uncontrolled Mlat network would be worse than not having one at all....so the answer is  , make Radar Boxes  deliver the correct raw data and let RB users embrace the existing PP Mlat network.

Its all about harmony....

Finally the rather pointed comment about PP being unreliable following a couple of recent outages is just laughable.
PP has been running for years whithout any long term problems[ by long term I mean the occassional server outage of a few minutes]
Recent events were totally outside Bevs control , just like any other network situation
I'm sure the RB network has been down from time to time ;)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:49:37 AM by satcom »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
Every ground station must be precisely located and validated on an individual basis.

Couldn't a GPS receiver add-on help solve that problem?  At the moment we still get the odd MLAT Ground Station in PP in the wrong location.

satcom

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 11:52:27 AM »
Of course it could  Chris ....so , who is going to ensure that each RB ground station within the RB Mlat network is using a GPS receiver plugged into their PC to ensure their location is correct.
Who then is going to remove rogue stations from the network..switch off dubious suppliers of raw data and pin down the source of spurious info ?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:54:09 AM by satcom »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Of course it could  Chris ....so , who is going to ensure that each RB ground station within the RB Mlat network is using a GPS receiver plugged into their PC to ensure their location is correct.

I didn't mean plugged into their PC.  Airnav could be developing a GPS addon for the Radarbox, for all you know.  It's all guess-work, with little point in speculating.

And PP MLAT isn't always as great as is sometimes suggested.  For me at least, around 90% of MLATs that I attempt in PP fail, despite having 3 Ground Stations around me.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:58:21 AM by tarbat »

satcom

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:05 PM »

And PP MLAT isn't always as great as is sometimes suggested.  For me at least, around 90% of MLATs that I attempt in PP fail, despite having 3 Ground Stations around me.

But you know why that is.....simply because you are geographically out on a limb , PLUS , you are not supplying your own SBS1 raw data

satcom

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2010, 12:02:36 PM »
" I didn't mean plugged into their PC.  Airnav could be developing a GPS addon for the Radarbox, for all you know.  It's all guess-work, with little point in speculating "

Good idea.....at what cost to users ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
But you know why that is.....simply because you are geographically out on a limb , PLUS , you are not supplying your own SBS1 raw data

Geographically out on a limb?  I was told that with 3 Ground Stations I would be able to use MLAT.  As it is, I've managed to successfully MLAT less than 5 local aircraft since I paid for MLAT.

MLAT works for the select few in areas with a high number of SBS-1 enthusiasts (London, Manchester, etc.).  For the rest of Radarbox users around the world, PP MLAT is useless in my opinion.

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »
DaveReid:
"Personally, I'm past caring who AirNav use to fix the problem, I just wish they would fix it. How's that for a constructive, unbiased suggestion ?"

This is false Dave taking in account the emails and PMs we have changed regarding this. We don't like hidden agendas.

Anyway let's focus on what really matters:
1- MLAT: exactly what we've told before. As withe other features on our software/hardware expect something much better than what PP offers.

2- Databases: what is the most used/common third-party aircraft registration information currently available (for spotters, etc)?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
2- Databases: what is the most used/common third-party aircraft registration information currently available (for spotters, etc)?

In the UK - Gatwick Aviation Society, which Airnav already get data from.

satcom

« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 12:16:22 PM »

Geographically out on a limb?  I was told that with 3 Ground Stations I would be able to use MLAT.  As it is, I've managed to successfully MLAT less than 5 local aircraft since I paid for MLAT.

MLAT works for the select few in areas with a high number of SBS-1 enthusiasts (London, Manchester, etc.).  For the rest of Radarbox users around the world, PP MLAT is useless in my opinion.

Well I suppose that if living in England means we are the select few , then fair enough ...all 50 million of us  :O)

Chris , the user map is available for all to see....and you can see that if you supplied your own raw data , then things would be much different.

Meanwhile for the "select few" ie the rest of the poplulation , Mlat is a huge success. if it wasn't , Air nav wouldnt be worrying about it , just to satisfy 5% of its users would it ?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2010, 12:35:59 PM »
MLAT works for the select few in areas with a high number of SBS-1 enthusiasts (London, Manchester, etc.).  For the rest of Radarbox users around the world, PP MLAT is useless in my opinion.

Well I suppose that if living in England means we are the select few , then fair enough ...all 50 million of us

Are you now suggesting the PP MLAT network covers the whole of England?  For all 50 million people?  Down to 3,000 feet or better as you've claimed previously?  I just feel that the capabilities of PP MLAT are over sold by some people.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:38:22 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »

Meanwhile for the "select few" ie the rest of the poplulation , Mlat is a huge success. if it wasn't , Air nav wouldnt be worrying about it , just to satisfy 5% of its users would it ?

What makes you think that AirNav are 'worrying' about MLAT?

satcom

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:01 PM »

What makes you think that AirNav are 'worrying' about MLAT?

Why else would they have bothered to become embroiled in this thread other than to try and  pursuade RB users that  they recognise the competition.

As I said earlier , PP is not a threat .
Planeplotter is now a recognised add on resource for the SBS1 and there is no reason why it cant be the same for RB.

Personally I think its a real shame that RB users cant become PP Mlat Ground Stations  , but at least they can still use PP Mlat as master Users and get the benefit that way.

There have been a number of RB users who have taken advantage of PPMlat and then realised its even better to become a ground station too...and have gone out and bought an SBS1  in addition to , or in place of their RB.