AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OK, so where are all the Flybe aircraft ??? (Radarbox nr Exeter, Devon)  (Read 78776 times)

cool_1

Houston...we have a problem...

I have set up my new RadarBox - OK its actually a few miles South West of Exeter Airport (EGTE), with a generally good South West reception (I have had many flights going over all day from EasyJet, Ryan Air , British Airways, and Virgin etc). 
So far so good...

But now, after using for nearly a whole day, Ive noticed that there are NO Flybe flights showing up anywhere !?  This is ridiculous as they have been flying in and out all day, many within a few miles of my RadarBox.   

Is there a software bug here, or do they not transmit the same info as all other aircraft ???

This is VERY disappointing as the main reason I want to use this technology is to monitor local air traffic. (80% of local flights arriving / departing for me  , are Flybe !!!). 

Please can one of the site gurus clarrify the problem here please ?

KILO21

Re: OK, so where are all the Flybe aircraft ??? (Radarbox nr Exeter, Devon)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:12:04 PM »
i've had a look in my log and have plenty of Flybe flights.  Flybe don't transmit ADS-B so they won't show up on the map,  however they will detected by your box and should show in your log.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 08:45:36 PM »
I expect they will eventually have to have Mode-s so time will tell. Nice to have Exeter covered though (from an ex-east devon man).
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

anorak

• support The Devon Air Ambulance Trust
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
Hi Cool_1, I`m up in North Devon and have Exeter covered on RB and my AOR 8200. Flybe show on screen but without position info as said before, but by listening in you can follow there progress, Air South West, Aurigny and Skybus all have the same "problem" to us.
Best wishes for the New Year, Anorak Dave.
Dave. Exmoor, North Devon.

bearcat

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 11:44:55 AM »
I'm not sure which software version ships with new units but are you using ANRB V3.13. This version will then show the Flybe flights etc in the list when the flight number is picked up, but you may have to manually update some of the routes

cool_1

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:47:56 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the replies.   

I have Airnav Radarbox 2010 v3.13.

I seem to only have a small handful of Flybe flights showing in the Log file (much less then I would expect) , but the lack of ADS-B being transmitted by Flybe explains that one....I just hope it becomes a mandatory requirement.  The main benefit of ADS-B as I understand it, is to reduce the load on ATC, so it must benefit the ATC, and the airlines for workload, safety, and efficiency.
Who cares about the installation cost  :-)

Im currently taking a look at planeplotter which allows Multilateration of aircraft without ADS-B with enough users:   http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm
Im not sure if that will help or not with Flybe.

I also use the website http://www.radarvirtuel.com alongside Radarbox.
I do however find it surprising that the weblink more often has more route info (ie destination airport etc) against some of the flights, than Radarbox.
Is there a reason for this also ?

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 03:03:47 PM »
There is a chance that you might be seeing more Flybe aircraft in the MyFlights list than you think.  If there is no valid Flight ID, then you won't be getting an airline logo.  How about using the Fleet Watch option with wildcards to capture the Flybe fleet?

http://www.airframes.org/fleet/bee

This should do the trick entered in the Fleet Watch Setup list.

G-BRUY
G-ECO*
G-EMB*
G-ERJ*
G-FBE*
G-JEC*
G-JED*
G-KKEV

Check MyLog too using these wildcards one at a time, and see what you have in there.

Yellowshrek

• RadarBox Mid Devon 12NM from EGTE
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 04:26:10 PM »
 Cool_1, as a user in the Mid Devon area and an employee of the said company I know that neither the Q400s or Emb.195s are ADS-B equipped. I believe this is a type option and in fact you will not see any Ejets or DHC fleet with ADS-B. In fact the new BA Cityflyer Embs do not have ADS-B fitted. So this means you will not get them on the map either when they deliver through Exeter. (Air Southwest DHC-8s being the same).

As a regional MRO movements through the Flybe Maintenance Organisation will probably not be identified on the map also as I cannot name many Regional fleets that i.d. (I have noticed the occasional Cityline CRJ on the map with a circled cross only on MyFlights)

I will ask around and find out if there is any plans to add ADS-B to the fleet or whether there is any indication whether it would become mandatory in the future.

So movements identified on the map through Exeter will consist of the based Flying Colours A320, and the occasional charter flight.

Bad news but I hope this helps.

So many trails not enough time!

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:26 PM »
I believe this is a type option and in fact you will not see any Ejets or DHC fleet with ADS-B.

Yes, I can't recall ever having seen any Embraers with ADS-B, although it is in fact fitted to a handful of Dash 8s in Germany and elsewhere.

I will ask around and find out if there is any plans to add ADS-B to the fleet or whether there is any indication whether it would become mandatory in the future.

AFAIK there are still no plans to make ADS-B mandatory in Europe other than in a few specific areas such as the North Sea helicopter corridors.

HTH
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Yellowshrek

• RadarBox Mid Devon 12NM from EGTE
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 03:36:04 PM »
 Cool_1 Just watched A9C-AWL Bae RJ land at Exeter and this is the first time I have seen something land there so thank you. However reminded me I have to go back to work tomorrow after the Xmas break (see thread above), so no thanks for that!!
So many trails not enough time!

cool_1

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 09:54:11 PM »
Hi budding RadarBox users !

I thought I would update you with progress since my first 'noobie' post, where I couldnt see any Flybe aircraft around Exeter Airport (EGTE) and around the Devon countryside.

Well I took the plunge, and paid the registration fee for Planeplotter, and now successfully using the Multilateration (MLAT) facility on a daily basis.
I have to say the fun and extra reward you get for the small investment of a few hours reading and tweaking of Planeplotter, are fantastic !!!

Here is what I did  (to assist any other Multilateration newcomers) :-)

1) Download and installed planeplotter (only 5.65 MB !) :   http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm
(I believe you need the full registered version to use the network traffic, but like most of you, I dont mind paying a few more quid to support real innovation, and make the most from my Radarbox.)

2) Request a free 21-day Multilateration trial here:  http://www.coaa.co.uk/mlat_request.php  - just go for it...youve got nothing to lose.

3) As soon as you receive your confirmation email, it walks you through the installation and setup.
Took me about 2-3 hours to get MLAT working including a few settings changed, and a one line addition to my router.  You literally just open up a port to allow data flow.  I was impressed with the nice clear instructions on the email to do this.
You will also need to make sure your PC date/time is accurate, and that your Longitude/ Latitude are in correctly.
(heres a little tip. I used Multimap, to get the accurate position of my receiver box.  Put in your postcode...and the secret is to scroll down, and you will get your Lat / Long in the correct format)

4) Now goto your Radarbox interface, and select one of your local flights. Look up the flight no. you want to see on your Planeplotter (Aircraft list) view. On the line with the flight no. hold 'left shift' and click your mouse on the flight number. Wait 60 seconds and the magic really happens.   Watch those tracking curves get a fix on your flight, and then you can watch it move in real time !  It really is a Eureka moment !
My first MLAT flight was tracking a Flybe  flight, all the way from Exeter (EGTE) to Edinburgh (EGPH)- Fantastic.

After a bit of practise you will soon start tracking loads of non-ADS-B flights, and it really will add an extra dimension to your Radarbox.
Note: you will need a few other users to be tracking the same aircraft for MLAT to work, so dont be put off if it doesnt work straight away. (the best ones to MLAT will show up in orange or green on the Planeplotter listing, to help you).

So basically if I can do it...anyone can.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my post, and for all the local knowledge on Flybe etc, and in particular Lee (from Plane Finder),who was incredibly helpful with tips on Planeplotter, and even helped me get all my aircraft displayed on my iphone with Plane Finder (A great application for anyone with a Radarbox and an iphone) !  He also gave me some links for some fantastic PP Map overlays.

Hope this helps anyone else who may be interested in map following extra aircraft around Exeter Airport , and many other South-West (non ADS-B) flights, including military flights.

The more Radarbox users who give MLAT a go...the better Radarbox will become...
All the best, and happy Radarbox spotting...

Jon

LiveATC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 03:46:26 AM »
cool_1  , What options need to make  in PP?

cool_1

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 01:41:16 PM »
Hi,

here is the paragraph in the Planeplotter MLAT trial email.(which you will receive).

QUOTE "
In PlanePlotter, select Options..I/O settings and make sure that in the Input section, you have checked 'UDP/IP data from net'.Start PlanePlotter processing and wait for your chart to be populated. Select View..Aircraft.Choose an aircraft without a position. You will most likely succeed if the aircraft details are in green or orange and if the aircraft is not too low.Hold down the Control button and left click on the chosen aircraft.
After a few seconds you will see an information box appear telling you how many seconds to wait and how much data has been sent to you.At the end of a minute you will see a summary of the results of processing the data.If you receive enough information for a fix, the view will change to the chart or outline centred on the derived position.There should be a diamond-shaped symbol at the position of the chosen aircraft. If the symbol does not show, check your 'Omit after' time in Options..Chart..Options; it may have timed out before it appears.If there is insufficient information for a fix but a position curve has been obtain, again the view will change to the chart or outline with the curve showing.If there was insufficient information for either, try another aircraft.

"  End of QUOTE.

I have attached a few snapshots of my own Airnav Radarbox options on Planeplotter.

Hope this helps...

regards,
Jon

[attachment deleted by admin]

Horsham Spotter

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
Hello all.
Is it possible to see non ADSB aircraft once you have set up and paid for PP on the RB display.
Steve
3.1nm miles south of EGKK westerly App & Dep.

cool_1

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
Hi Steve,

yes...snapshots of an MLAT example below.   (on Radarbox, not even the flight ID showed up on this example).  Only the Mode S info needed from Radarbox. 

My box location is in orange with a cross in the south. Planeplotter did the rest !
You get a fix within 60 seconds, and then it plots with a moving map in real time :-)

Many superb background charts are available for free too.

regards,
Jon.