anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replace SBS-1 with Radarbox  (Read 25800 times)

piper-pilot

• CHRIS @ ML&S
Re: Replace SBS-1 with Radarbox
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »
Your SBS antenna will work however you need a BNC-SMA adaptor!

Regards

Chris @ ML&S
CHRIS @ ML&S

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 05:47:52 PM »
Your SBS antenna will work however you need a BNC-SMA adaptor!

Regards

Chris @ ML&S

As posted above earlier in the thread with picture.

Tabat,

I'm using the standard RB antenna at the moment as I've got the SBS-1 out of the back of the cupboard to look at V129 and I'm using the external SBS antenna for that.  If you can get the RB antenna where it can see the sky, it works exceptionally well for such a weedy little antenna!

I've got my RB running from my powered hub now - it wouldn't work without the power adaptor with a Windows "not enough power" pop up message.  I went through installing the drivers manually again without any snags.  As long as you know which drivers you need, you'll be fine.

I've written down what I did this time, so if you need any help, just let me know.

Allocator

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 05:53:07 PM »
Thanks Allocator.  I'm not now planning on using the SBS antenna.  I'll use the standard RB one to start with, and may upgrade to a better external one later.

Also thanks for trying out the USB hub, that's put my mind at rest that it's likely to work okay.

I'd still like to know which type of mini-USB adaptor I would need if anyone knows - B4, B5, B6, B8, or M4.

Allocator

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 06:08:41 PM »
I've found a picture - it's a USB B4/B5/B6/B8/M4 Mini adaptor - doesn't help too much though, as I don't know which is which!  One of my cables has a "B" on it but the others have nothing.  I didn't know that there were so many versions!

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »
Yes, I didn't realise there were so many either.  I know of two types at least.  I've got one on my camera that's different to the one on my Harmony remote.  But difficult to tell from photos which type the RB is.

Allocator

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 07:23:49 PM »
As a wild guess, I'd say it was a Mini B5.  I think that the 5 is the number of contacts.  The cable looks like this:

And you can count the contacts here in the socket in the back of the RadarBox:

Of course, it could be a B6 with 5 contacts plus earth.  I can't get a picture of it, but there are 5 strip contacts in the male plug.  It's not a B4 as I'm sure that is the square plug with one rounded edge as used in USB printer leads.

There must be somebody on the forum who can say if I'm talking a load of tosh!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:25:57 PM by Allocator »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »
1.3 is the software version in all RadarBoxes shipped after October 2007. Not sure why Tarbat you would like to know the mini-USB adaptor standard as you will get the cable with the RadarBox and the USB end will fit into any hub, computer etc..
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »
Thanks for details of the software being shipped.

I wanted to know the type of mini-USB adaptor, so that I could use an existing 8m cable that's already wired from my computer up to my SBS-1 in the loft.  I don't really want to run a new cable if I can avoid it, so I'll need an adaptor to convert the large plug on the end of that cable to the smaller plug needed into the Radarbox.  Do you know the specific type of USB plug.  Is it a B4, B5, B6, B8, or M4 plug?

I guess if it's okay to run the Radarbox through a USB hub, then that's also a solution I can use.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:02:18 AM by tarbat »

piper-pilot

• CHRIS @ ML&S
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
I have used one through a Powered Hub on the end of 5 metres of USB cable and had no issues.

Regards

CHRIS @ ML&S

Robin

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008, 09:02:00 AM »
The connector on the RadarBox uses a standard SMA connector (beware of the reverse SMA used on WiFi) the USB cable is standard mini USB and the mag is not ideal for use outside, use the BS1100. you will then need a BNC to SMA adaptor.

I have a couple of questions about replacing my current SBS-1 with a Radarbox:

1. Is the connecting lead on the Radarbox antenna as long as that on the SBS-1 antenna?

2. Can the antenna supplied with the SBS-1 be used with Radarbox, or is it better to use the one supplied with the Radarbox?

3. Is the USB connection on the RB the same as on an SBS-1?  I've already got a long USB lead connecting my PC up to the SBS-1 in the loft, and would rather not replace the USB lead.

Anything else I should be aware of about replacing my SBS-1 with a Radarbox?

Hi tarbat,

Answers to your quaetions :-)

1 - Without taking the RadarBox antenna off the velux window, I've measured 2.5 m of lead.  It might be slightly longer as there is a bit outside the window.  The plug on the end of the antenna that goes into the back of RadarBox is like a small satelite TV antenna plug - not sure of the name, but I'll post a picture here later.

2- You can use the SBS-1 antenna, both the mag-mount, or BS1100 (as I do) with an adapter that fits between the SBS-1 antenna and RadarBox.  I had one kicking around to allow me to connect an external antenna to my Amateur Radio handie.  Again, I'm hopeless with the names of the plugs - pictures to follow!  I tend to use the SBS-1 mag-mount when I use RadarBox at work, and the RadarBox antenna when I'm at home.  Use of the BS1100 has only started recently as I've stopped using my SBS-1.  There are some polar diagrams somewhere on this forum - I'll try to find them!

3 - The USB connection on RadarBox is not the same as the SBS-1.  The SBS-1 uses what I would call a USB printer cable, whereas RadarBox uses the small D shaped connector that is the same an my card reader and digital camera.  I'm using the USB Cat45 cable extender I've talked about on the Kinetic forum - works a treat!

Installing the RadarBox drivers can be a similar issue as the SBS-1, as if you plug RadarBox into a different USB port, the PC tries to install drivers automatically just like the SBS-1.  It's no problem as long as you manually select the driver location.

I'll get back to you with pictures in a bit.

All the best

Allocator

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
Okay, I'm hoping this is the mini-USB adaptor that I'll need:

This is a B5, not B4 as suggested earlier in this thread.  Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I'll know soon if this is all going to work, or if I'll need to go the USB Cat5 extender route.

BTW, this is what a B4 mini-USB looks like, and it doesn't look like the right one:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:43:16 AM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008, 01:38:30 PM »
Quick update.  Radarbox arrived this morning, and I'm up and running.  In the end my USB hub is able to run both Radarbox and SBS-1 at the same time, without the need to power the hub.

Allocator

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 02:29:28 PM »
Quick update.  Radarbox arrived this morning, and I'm up and running.  In the end my USB hub is able to run both Radarbox and SBS-1 at the same time, without the need to power the hub.

Tarbat,

Great news!  I've been in and out today so I've only had my RadarBox running for the odd half an hour at a time.  I'm looking forward to seeing some traffic in that dark hole that is the Moray Firth.  Have you managed to get your antenna out in the open?

All the best

Allocator

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
No, it's in the loft exactly where my SBS-1 antenna was at the moment.  Getting the same coverage as before.  Just sorted out the military flags, thanks to your excellent post at http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=171.msg970   I'm guessing this is the latest version of the D008.dat file you're using?

Now just need to sort out my outlines.  I notice that Bones' Radarbox page has gone missing at http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/AirNav/AirNav_Utilities.htm , so I've got to do some research on what outlines I can change, etc.

You should see my flights on the RB network, got 3 in view at the moment on route from Germany to the USA.

Allocator

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 03:36:11 PM »
Tarbat,

I'll PM you with the D008.dat file I'm using at present.  You should be able to copy/paste and save it in Notepad - just watch the file extension really is .dat not dat.txt

It's not 100% and could probably do with a bit of work, but it's enough for my immediate needs.  I've asked AirNav to remove the 2 character limit for the bmp name as this will allow more flexibility and make the dat file easier to read.  I can't get onto Bones' site either at the moment.  I can zip the outline files and send them to you if you like - all together they are less than 1 mb as they are.  I started with all Bones outlines, then deleted the ones I didn't want.  RB gives you all or nothing when it comes to outlines.  Just PM me with an email address if you want them until Bones site is back on line.

Cheers

Allocator