anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Route Information  (Read 5883 times)

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
Route Information
« on: December 30, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »
Hey guys, Merry Christmas. Not sure if this has been covered before, did try a search but to no avail!
I'm running RB 3.13 and have noticed that all my Thomson Airways routes are incorrect! Aircraft are clearly not following the route they are displaying. Not noticed this with any other airline apart from Thomson with the exception of the odd diversion due to fog/snow.

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
Re: Route Information
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 05:09:31 PM »
Hi again! I know I didn't memtion it in the original post but - Any Suggestions? :)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 05:59:29 PM »
Are they incorrect, or just missing?

Have you cross checked the flight numbers with the Thomson website or other flight tracking websites to see where they say they are going?

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
Thanks Allocator, they are all incorrect!! The wife works for Thomson and so knows the destinations. For example a flight showing Luton to Herraklion was actually heading for Manchester from Sharm El Sheik. Thomson don't fly to Herraklion in the winter in any case.
How is the route information generated? Is it a database or are they generated by the aircrew? My thought is my database is incorrect and showing old routes for Thomson?

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
I suspect that the database that Airnav is drawing data from has the Summer schedule. It probably hasn't yet caught up with the Winter route information.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 03:17:11 PM »
The database updates every 6 months for flights, so it may be out at the moment.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:53:02 PM »
For example a flight showing Luton to Herraklion was actually heading for Manchester from Sharm El Sheik. Thomson don't fly to Herraklion in the winter in any case.

That's a perfect illustration of why a flight lookup database or service for ADS-B aircraft needs to use the aircraft's location as a sanity check.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

dca

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:10 AM »
The database updates every 6 months for flights, so it may be out at the moment.

Can the database update not be increased to say a quarterly update to avoid this issue?
9 nm south of LGW

Allocator

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
It's never going to avoid it completely - even if the database is updated daily :-)

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »
Many thanks guys for the information & Happy New Year, interesting debate, I'll see what happens over the coming weeks. Anyone know exactly when the database is due to update?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 05:20:53 PM »
Many thanks guys for the information & Happy New Year, interesting debate, I'll see what happens over the coming weeks. Anyone know exactly when the database is due to update?

As previously stated, airline schedules change daily, but the two main changeovers are at the start of the Summer and Winter seasons, at the beginning of April and November, respectively.  I don't know how that fits in with AirNav's update cycle, but presumably they align to some extent.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 10:03:38 AM »
Further to the above! Can I update the database manually when I recognise an incorrect flight?

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:52:45 AM »
Yes - the quick way is to right-click the flight in the grid and choose the "Lookup Flight ID in Databade Explorer" option. Change the data, and enter today's date and time in the CH column.

Rod
Rod

nbquidditch

• Narrowboat Quidditch
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:20:59 PM »
Thanks -Rod, is it possible to update the flight from within My Log?

Allocator

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 10:25:12 PM »
Thanks -Rod, is it possible to update the flight from within My Log?

MyLog is a historical database of what you have seen in the past.  It is completely separate from the NavData.db3 'source' database.  Changes that you make in MyLog will not affect what you see on the map or in the aircraft lists.