AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox delayed data after powered for a long time  (Read 19971 times)

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
Re: Radarbox delayed data after powered for a long time
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
Hi

Over the past few days, I've had my box on continually, and have experienced several dodgy positional hits on my box for traffic leaving EGCC (Manchester) when observing it from my house - basically the position on the map is lagging behind where the actual aircraft is in real time (not currently using the network either so it's not that!) - it's not massively out but it is noticeable in that traffic is actually visable to the east of my house , when on the box it's west of my home location,(which hasn't been changed for approx 18 months).

As I type this, everything is spot on as a BMI Baby 737 has just departed EGCC and is bang on positionally

Could it be due to the less than settled weather we've been having recently?

Happy New Year to all!

Rich

homestea

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »
I'll see if i can post a video of the positional data error accumulation that i am getting.  I wonder if my radarbox hardware could be faulty?

homestea

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 02:58:49 PM »
Hey Marpleman, try unplugging the USB cord then reconnecting it and see if you see a "jump" in position (to a more accurate positioning) like i am getting. You seem like you are experiencing exactly what i am, though it seems ALL of my traffic is lagging.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:00:38 PM by homestea »

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 10:05:35 AM »
Hi homestea

I'm only observing this with certain positional data, not all coverage. Doing what you suggested doesn't really make it any clearer to discern what's happening.

Had a strange one yeasterday when a LH A330 "stood still" and was overtaken on the screen by a KLM B777 which were both visibly identified passing several miles due north heading US bound.
The LH A330 then suddenly jumped about 30-40 miles in a split second.

This was a one-off but doesn't explain the continuous lagging movement of EGCC departures positionally

Regards

Rich

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 11:19:25 AM »
Do you have the optional '*' showing in the aircraft label to see which tracks are live and which are Network?  Are you using the 5 minute delayed Network, or real-time?

Is there a chance that you are getting a mixture of live and Network tracks and you are confusing which are which?  What happens if you deselect 'Get Flights From RadarBox Network' at the bottom of the Network aircraft list?

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
Hi Allocator

Can't speak for homestea, but I'm currently not using the network as my 12 months are up :-(  , and cannot really justify the renewal at present for my use.

also when I'm looking at local traffic,I always took the network down to avoid confusion.

today's been fine - everything showing where it should

Rich

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2010, 07:47:15 PM »
homestea,

Can you try another PC and see whether you see the same results?

After more than 2 years on the market we have never come across what you have described and the lack of response from others on the forum related to your issue seems to match that. This could be a particular machine issue which may have a USB hub issue.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
homestea - I have the beginnings of a theory!

On the status line alongside the Hardware and Network status indicators theres a bit that says something like 150 Msgs/Sec (60).

When your display has got very slow, what sort of numbers are appearing there - can you give us an example or two?

Rod
Rod

homestea

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
homestea - I have the beginnings of a theory!

On the status line alongside the Hardware and Network status indicators theres a bit that says something like 150 Msgs/Sec (60).

When your display has got very slow, what sort of numbers are appearing there - can you give us an example or two?

Rod

Im in the USA, and near a relativly small international airport. so Im not getting as much traffic as the people in england, that said; right now mine says
 27 Msgs/Sec (6)

RodBearden

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
The reason I ask is that recently I saw the number in brackets (which is the number of compressed messages processed by the RadarBox) get a lot bigger than the first number (the number of messages received by the RadarBox).

When this happened, my grid and map got delayed by up to 5 minutes. The circumstances were that my processor had been greatly overloaded - CPU was clocking 100% for very long periods, and the messages were presumably stacking up in the box before the processor could accept them.

I'm just wondering if your problem could be down to an overloaded processor - have you used Task Manager to see if your processor is getting pushed to the limit?

Rod
Rod

homestea

« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2010, 10:15:50 PM »
my processor is only at about 25-35% on average, so i dont think this is the problem.  Im thinking that it is a driver problem or conflict with my system.  I am running th radarbox on a laptop with a centrino 2 duo, windows 7 64bit, 4GB Ram.   I see the driver folder includes 2 subfolders (i386 and amd64) since I am running a Intel processor, should i be trying to install the drivers in the i386 folder, as i assume the amd folder is for AMD processors? 

RodBearden

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
Ah well, so much for my theory, then - it's unlikely to be lack of resources on your machine.

It sounds like you've installed the right drivers, but it doesn't sound like a driver problem anyway.

Sorry - I've no more ideas.

Rod
Rod

homestea

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 12:29:46 AM »
I Just finished installing the radarbox on my girlfriends computer and I get the same results.  Perhaps my radarbox is faulty or maybe i am being too particular.  Her computer is a windows 7 64 bit laptop with an amd processor.  I consistantly get altitude reading in program on a departure climbout 500-1000ft different than the pilot is reporting. Unfortunatly I havent been able to check an ADS-B aircraft position because pretty much the only planes ADS-B equipped flying out of this airport are UPS and FedEX, and I havent seen any departures for those today.

I was looking and it appears that windows 7 has a default usb polling rate of 125hz, is this adequate for the radarbox signals or does it need to be increased?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 12:43:01 AM »
Altitude is not the best way to compare for the following reasons:

1.) QNH Settings means the altitude being displayed is not what the aircraft is at
2.) ATC call outs while descending or climbing might lag behind the real value

You will need to look at positions.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

homestea

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2010, 02:49:38 AM »
Altitude is not the best way to compare for the following reasons:

1.) QNH Settings means the altitude being displayed is not what the aircraft is at
2.) ATC call outs while descending or climbing might lag behind the real value

You will need to look at positions.

I would agree with you about the altitude, but just before i typed this a gulfstream 4 was departing, reported 7000, the radarbor reported 5200, i then disconnected the usb and plugged it in again. so it was off for about 6-7 seconds, but the new altitude that was recieved was nearly 9500 (the correct altitude).  there is no way the radarbox would have reported this altitude had i not disconnected it and plugged it back in.  I wish i could resolve this problem.