AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox delayed data after powered for a long time  (Read 20065 times)

Runway 31

Re: Radarbox delayed data after powered for a long time
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
Eggplant, you say aircraft positions seem to be updating slower than before you upgraded. what is your setting for screen refresh rate under preferences./Radarbox?.  This may have something to do with what you are experiencing.

eggplant

« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »
Right we are going to step in here and issue a warning to a few users to calm down.

This thread is about homestea issue only. So far no one other than himself is seeing the issue. As we have mentioned after 2 years we have not heard of such an issue. This does sound like a machine issue or USB issue.

Regarding version 3.13, it has been a overwheming success with only a 3 minor isuses known to us. The vast 99% majority is extremely happy with it and have thanked us for our efforts. The 3.13 comments threads shows this.

Eggplant if you have some issues which you don't think are being acted apon please contact us direct and we will be glad to listen.

Just to show how open we, the bugs we have been notified on is shown at the page below
http://www.airnavsystems.com/bugs/

Airnav,

Well done for issuing a warning ! As for me - I haven't stated that I have issues that I believe aren't being acted upon.  If I did I would already have contacted Airnav tech support.

My apologies if I have misunderstood something, but both myself and Marpleman (and who knows how many others) are experiencing anomalies that appear to be similar to those as reported by homestea. I'm sure you'll agree this forum thread is an approprate place to discuss the matter.

All the best
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

eggplant

« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38:15 PM »
Eggplant, you say aircraft positions seem to be updating slower than before you upgraded. what is your setting for screen refresh rate under preferences./Radarbox?.  This may have something to do with what you are experiencing.

Thanks for the idea - but always has been set to 1000 ms.

Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

eggplant

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2010, 06:42:20 PM »
I run the free CCleaner and Defraggler often.  CCleaner also takes care of registry scans to get rid of the rubbish left behind when programs are uninstalled.  I have plenty of free space on the HD used for running programs.  I have a secondary HD for storing static stuff - pictures and the like - and a USB backup drive that is only used by Norton Ghost for archives.

I use the latest version of AVG Free antivirus (Norton Antivirus is a pervasive monster) and the free version of ZoneAlarm takes care of the Firewall.

With the exception of the second and third HD, this is pretty much the same setup across all my machines.

I do use Norton Internet Security, and am aware that it has a bit of repuatation for messing up other programs. I wonder if any other users using Norton s/w have any problems ?

All the best

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »
Anomalies are fine, they do happen. Aircraft transponders don't always send the correct information, aircraft flying backwards with incorrect heading has been seen before. If your machine is overloaded then all software will start to do weird things.

However going back to the issue mentioned in this thread this has not been seen by anyone else the way he describes it. Lets try and keep it to the thread subject.

homestea we ask you to do the following:

- Try another PC
- Compare with visual contact of aircraft arriving or departing and do not use altitude.
- Please remember some aircraft occasionaly give wrong positions so do not be confused by that.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

homestea

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »
Anomalies are fine, they do happen. Aircraft transponders don't always send the correct information, aircraft flying backwards with incorrect heading has been seen before. If your machine is overloaded then all software will start to do weird things.

However going back to the issue mentioned in this thread this has not been seen by anyone else the way he describes it. Lets try and keep it to the thread subject.

homestea we ask you to do the following:

- Try another PC
- Compare with visual contact of aircraft arriving or departing and do not use altitude.
- Please remember some aircraft occasionaly give wrong positions so do not be confused by that.

Hello, I've tried installing radarbox on a different PCs, unfortunatly that machine is also running windows 7.  Positional data is off roughly the same on both computers.  This even further leads me to believe that it is a windows 7 driver issue, or a radarbox hardware issue on my unit.  

Also my computer is a high end gaming machine with no other applications running in the background so i know it is not overloading. t has over 2Gb of RAM free at all times as well as it only spikes at 20-35 % CPU max at any given time

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:40:12 PM by homestea »

homestea

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
Here is a typical ADS-B jump as i am describing.  You see the gap in positions. This gap spans roughly 5nm, and the USB signal was only disconnected about 7 seconds.  if you do the math that would equate to about 2500 knots to cover this span in the amount of time the usb was disconnected, if everything was working ok.  

This error was accumulated with the unit only being on for half an hour or so.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:18:28 PM by homestea »

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:12 PM »
homestea - sorry if this has been asked before - thread's getting long - but have you tried using a different USB cable?

Rod
Rod

homestea

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 12:20:27 AM »
homestea - sorry if this has been asked before - thread's getting long - but have you tried using a different USB cable?

Rod

that's a great idea Rod, I will try it later tonight and post my results!

Runway 31

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 06:52:46 PM »
Within the area of coverage of my polar diagram there are small parts that have very little or limited coverage.  At times I can watch aircraft get to a particular part of airspace, it doesnt move for a minute or so and then it jumps to where coverage resumes.  My antenna is in the roofspace and i would think that this is caused by the particular airspace being blanked out by a nearby roof joist.  Could this be what is happening to yourself homestea, something blanking out returns within your covered area.?.

homestea

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2010, 08:03:49 PM »
Within the area of coverage of my polar diagram there are small parts that have very little or limited coverage.  At times I can watch aircraft get to a particular part of airspace, it doesnt move for a minute or so and then it jumps to where coverage resumes.  My antenna is in the roofspace and i would think that this is caused by the particular airspace being blanked out by a nearby roof joist.  Could this be what is happening to yourself homestea, something blanking out returns within your covered area.?.

No, When i made my photo, I waited for a stong ADS-B aricraft signal that was giving 1 second updates, I then unplugged and plugged back in as as soon as the radarbox reconnected it gave strong returns again, however with the huge jump in distance.  The area that the plane is shown in, also happens to be my strongest coverage area for my antenna. 

Marpleman

• Proper aeroplanes!
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi again homestea

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems. One thought - does the respective record of the aircraft "timeout" in "Myflights" when you experience the jump on screen,or does it remain as a legit tracking?

Just a thought :-)

Rich

meagain

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 10:47:31 AM »
If your antenna's view is not blocked towards the gap then I would assume your system is jammed by something and for some time. Could be high energy mobile phone transmission or wireless TV or so between 500 and 2500 MHz. Best take your friend's notebook and change your position to open field and check from there.

homestea

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:15 PM »
Im still trying to figure out exactly what is going on. It seemed that when i switched to a shorter new USB cable, the problem seemed to go away for a while. Then last night all of my flights were delayed again.  It may be a conflict with my wireless mouse, so i have disconnected it and will find out this evening if the mouse was causing conflicts.  I have been seeing more and more recently the backwards effect that was described by another user some posts back on this thread. I will report baack soon. 

homestea

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2010, 10:00:07 PM »
Well I've now ruled out the wireless mouse causing the problem, i still am getting a delay buildup.  This sure is getting frustrating! I hope i can eventually figure out what the issue is! I encourage everybody running a 64 bit machine on windows 7 to watch closely the called altitude by aircraft to departure control to see if you are getting a delay as well.  Also watch ads-b aircraft positions versus what you can see outside your window.  Also try unplugging the radarbox usb and re-connect it to see f you see a large "jump" in positions.  Hopefully there will be a fix somewhere, somehow.