AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which data can I see from mode-s?  (Read 35549 times)

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: Which data can I see from mode-s?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 09:57:31 AM »
Correct Tarbat, that information is displayed.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:47 AM »
Hi Tarbat!

The answer is yes - not quite as impressive as your Tornado list screenshot, but it does prove the point.  I don't pick up many F3's in my part of the world, but I'm sure if these aircraft are detected then you would get the ones that you are interested in!

All the best

Allocator

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 10:15:58 AM »
Thanks AirNav Support and Allocator.  All I need now is an announcement from Airnav on the ongoing costs of network access after the first year to take the plunge and buy a Radarbox, and fill in that big gap in coverage over the far north of Scotland!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
Thanks AirNav Support and Allocator.  All I need now is an announcement from Airnav on the ongoing costs of network access after the first year to take the plunge and buy a Radarbox, and fill in that big gap in coverage over the far north of Scotland!

Tarbat,

While you are thinking about it, you can read the new users manual for V1.4 (due for release shortly) here:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=394.0

Note the bit about the SQL database and the BaseStation database import fuction :-)

Bill

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
Hi Tarbat,

Its not for want of trying - to fill in the Big Gap I mean.......generally less than 20% of the contacts are ADS-B...really frustrating with all Heli/SAR traffic !

Regards
Bill

[attachment deleted by admin]

Roger

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 09:35:40 AM »
As a newbie I am still slightly puzzled by one thing. I can understand military a/c and even some bizjets not using ADS-B so as not to divulge their position. I understand Airbus and Boeing have fitted ADS-B as standard for several years and clearly many airlines have retro-fitted it to the older a/c in their fleets. But why does an airline like Flybe not use it on any aircraft (using mode-s instead) even on their new-build Embraers and Dash 8s?

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Maybe they cant afford it - or just dont want everyone knowing what they are up to :-)
Seriously - It may be difficult to fit the kit to Dash 8's and I am sure that to retrofit the kit is more expensive than having it delivered from the factory fitted. Also BA still have some B733's not fitted and the same with other "major" companies.....

Roger

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
Thanks roadrunner - sorry for not replying sooner, away on business in Amsterdam. Ran the system for 12 hours last Saturday and although 1700 a/c went into Mylog on the day, I noted not one single ATR, Dash 8, Embraer of any model nor any Canadair CRJ using ADS-B although plenty of each using mode-s. And the only bizjets using ADS-B were all Gulfstreams. Makes me suspect that it's the aircraft (even new build like Lufthansa's CRJ9s) that are not fitted with it rather than individual operators choosing not to use it ....?

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2008, 11:48:50 AM »
It is a mixture. I live near Luton - good for bizz jets and what you say about Gulfstreams is correct, they are probably in the majority but I have seen Citations, and Hawkers, plus surpise of the lot, a Yak-42 using ADS-B.

No doubt things will continue to improve but until it becomes mandatory (if ever) to fit the kit, we will have to make the most of it.

If you are close to an airport, it is possible to connect whats in the list with just a height by using this as a guide against the ILS and radio messages. I am able to tie-up most in-bounds to Luton.

Have fun

Roger

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »
And as I read your post, FJF50 F-GSPA is using ADS-B crossing Compton descending westbound. More than happy to have my theories proved wrong! And tied up 2 Flybe off Southampton this morning on the basis of cruising height.

Definately having lots of fun with the box - best Chrissie present from the wife ever!