AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How are the signals used by ATC  (Read 3475 times)

Dean

• Plane photographer
How are the signals used by ATC
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:47 PM »
Hope someone can enlighten me.

I know what the ADS-B signals do etc but notice that a lot of commercial flights that come overhead etc etc don't transmit a signal.

Aside from making our hobby more interesting who uses the ADS-B signal and for what if not all flights have to transmit it or those that do have incorrect info being sent out?

Thanks.

Dean

Fenris

Re: How are the signals used by ATC
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
Essentially the ADS-B transmissions are used by the TCAS collision avoidance systems on the aircraft, and Mode S generally is used as an upgrade to Mode C altitude-encoding transponders.

The ATC radars obtain a skin paint by the normal process of reflecting pulses from an aircraft and detecting their return, but that is a very blunt instrument and provides no real information on the target thus seen. So Secondary Surveillance Radar is used, which is a bit of a misnomer, because it isn't radar it is a transponder system. The interrogator operates at 1030MHz and the aircraft then transmits back at 1090MHz, the S in Mode S means 'select' which is a selective interrogation method whereas with Mode C all aircraft in range would respond to incoming 1030MHz signals and in dense environments that leads to many signal collisions.

I'm sure some Googling will lead to more information on the subject.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »
Essentially the ADS-B transmissions are used by the TCAS collision avoidance systems on the aircraft.

While that's true, TCAS works perfectly well in the absence of ADS-B data and the latter is only used to enhance perfomance of the basic TCAS system, which is based on 1030/1090Mhz standard interrogation/responses and, in suitably-equipped aircraft, Mode S acquisition squitters.  TCAS isn't normally identified as one of the drivers for the introduction of ADS-B.

The FAA has a very good Introduction to TCAS at www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/nextgen/research_tech_dev/eng_dev_serv/tcas/media/pdf/tcas.pdf (makes no mention at all of ADS-B).
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Fenris

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
Fair enough Dave, I was trying to write something that was short and fairly simple. You are correct that TCAS predates ADS-B and works in its absence.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:09:53 PM »
Surely the simple answer to the OP is - nobody, except for development purposes as it has not yet been introduced into any ATC service that I know of.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 02:14:18 PM »
Surely the simple answer to the OP is - nobody, except for development purposes as it has not yet been introduced into any ATC service that I know of.

Aberdeen ATC use ADS/B (and multilateration) for north sea offshore helicopter operations beyond their normal radar range.  Last I heard, it will be fully operational by June 2010.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:40:24 PM »
Aberdeen ATC use ADS/B (and multilateration) for north sea offshore helicopter operations beyond their normal radar range.  Last I heard, it will be fully operational by June 2010.

And ADS-B is also used operationally by Nav Canada to provide separation for aircraft over Hudson Bay.

See www.navcanada.ca/ContentDefinitionFiles/Services/ANSPrograms/ADS-B/ADS_B_Brochure_EN.pdf
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 03:06:04 PM »
Must admit I forgot about the Canadian one, but as far as I know the Aberdeen one is still in development with only ten helicopters fitted.
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk