anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: new user - help  (Read 4486 times)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
new user - help
« on: July 01, 2009, 11:53:35 PM »
I am just getting to grips with this facinating box. Can somebody tell me how
often the data is called for from the internet server? I see a slow refresh rate of sevral mins. The direct data is fine at once a second. Can one change the
internet refresh rate?
> I also find the box very CPU intensive even with a fast processor and lots of
RAM. Is this just me?
> Thanks.
> jeremy. (Newbury)
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: new user - help
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:01:44 AM »
Hi Jeremy and welcome!

Some answers - the data for flight info from the network is refreshed every 30 seconds - there's a countdown timer at the bottom of the screen. It's not changeable.

Fo flights that you are picking up locally on your RadarBox and from the network, the data is first searched for on your local database, NavData.db3. If it's not there, then, if you click on the flight in the grid or on the map, RB will look for it on the AirNav server. If it's not there, AirNav will search for it on the Gatwick Aviation Society (GAS) database and try to get pictures from the Airliners.net website. This happens whether or not you are chosing to get network flight info.

As for the CPU demand, that rather depends on which version of the RB software you're using. It's less if you are using the Version 3.0 Beta version than if you're using Version 2. My CPU's currently (and it's late at night with not many aircraft around) using between 7 and 20% CPU, peaking every 30 seconds (when the network data arrives) at 60% for no more than a second.

And it shouldn'tbe using much RAM, no matter which version you're using, or which Windows version you have. On my system (Version 3 Beta on XP sp3), it very rarely uses more than 640 Mb of RAM even though I've got 3 gig.

Hope that helps.

Rod

« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:03:27 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

SuffolkFlights

• Suffolk - The home of Anglo Saxons
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 01:59:50 AM »
I'm now running Win XP sp3 with Airnav 2.01 and now have few problems. I was running Vista and Windows7 RC before and had many probs. With Version 3 beta,  I run it in Win98/ME compatability mode and it works OK.
Suffolk are people too!

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:27:42 PM »
Thanks both.
I am running 3.6Ghz cpu and 3.25GB of RAM, XP, sp3. The menu still locks up. with email open and a few other windows then it seems to take between 40 and 90% of cpu when watching the task manager. I am workinf split screen.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 03:39:52 PM »
You might want to try the v3.0 beta - that's meant to fix the menu locking problem.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
I have upgraded to 3.0 Beta and will see how it goes. First impressions are good.
Thanks all.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com