AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Standard Twig in Loft.....how do you route them?  (Read 5708 times)

Tramline

Standard Twig in Loft.....how do you route them?
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:54:40 PM »
This seems a very basic question, but for those who utilise their loft space can you advise how you route the cable please. 

Do you drill through the ceiling or route some other way?

Also, given the standard antenna lead will not suffice, what is the best cable to use to extend its length plus fittings (actual part names/numbers) - where can these be sourced?

Thanks very much.....

Oh....BTW, how much is a standard antenna to buy?
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Dean

• Plane photographer
Re: Standard Twig in Loft.....how do you route them?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:10:48 PM »
Simple advice is don't bother. The supplied antenna is ok if you are desperate or going portable.

A scanner antenna will work at reduced performance. I would really recommend a dedicated 1090 MHz antenna. Several companies make them.

Usual rules apply -

as high as possible and with certainly nothing metallic around it.

C0-ax - use the thickest (i.e low loss) you can affor / fit in.

Don't bend or squash co-ax - nice gentle radiuses.

Hope that helps.

Dean

EK01

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »
You could place in the loft and drill through the ceiling or just leave the loft hatch slightly open and let the cable throught that way. There are several strings on the forum regarding antennae, fittings , etc. They come in all shapes and sizes but remember they must be dedicated 1090 antennae to work properly. Airband antenna will not do. Just do a general search.

Tramline

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »
Simple advice is don't bother. The supplied antenna is ok if you are desperate or going portable.

A scanner antenna will work at reduced performance. I would really recommend a dedicated 1090 MHz antenna. Several companies make them.

Usual rules apply -

as high as possible and with certainly nothing metallic around it.

C0-ax - use the thickest (i.e low loss) you can affor / fit in.

Don't bend or squash co-ax - nice gentle radiuses.

Hope that helps.

Dean

Thanks for the reply Dean, but you'll see from my post that I don't plan to change the standard antenna but was wondering how others routed their cable and what extension cable they used and where it was sourced.  I find the standard antenna just fine.  I was looking at buying another standard antenna so one would remain in the loft and then I could use the other around the garden and mobile to other destinations.

EK01 thanks for yr reply I'll look out 1090 cable.

Anyone actually added cable to the standard antenna?

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:50:36 PM »
Google Walters and Stanton.
They are very helpful and keep stocks of W103 coax. Also pre-cut lengths with plugs on the end. You need the right combination of plugs and in line converters. They will sort you out.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

EK01

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
Tramline,

As jeremy says go to http://www.wsplc.com

You'll find all the info there. On their home page click on the ANRB details towards the bottom left of the page. By the way, it's not 1090 cabe you need but a 1090 antenna with associated cable and fittings. The website has the details.

Ian

bearcat

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi

I have mine placed in the loft and because I live quite high with few obstructions I can get  a good range. I do loose some range through the gable ends though.

I use 20 mtr of Wesflex 103 routed down the outside of the house, drilled a hole through the wall to go under the floor boards and up to my PC in the dining room.

Hope this helps

Stewart

t1mb0

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:45:31 PM »
or looking at it the other way....
RB hardware in the loft as close as possible to the antenna, so use the standard supplied one fine. Then 'extend' your USB with a length of CAT5 UTP cable. I am using 25m+ of UTP for this with un powered adapters both ends, and it works just fine.
The advantage here is that your signal loss down the antenna cable is as low as possible,
and the only cable you have to route is a nice flexible piece of CAT5 which is cheaper than thick coax, which in my case routes down through airing cupboard, under landing floorspace and into 'Office' where main PC is.
Not endorsing this source as better than any other, but got the extender from www.cables2u.co.uk for £19.99

Hope this alternate view helps
12m SE of EGHI

Tramline

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:24 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has responded with their setups.  Very interesting indeed.

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
I tried the same route as t1mb0 using Maplin's version - totally u/s, went to a Lindy active unit with a separate psu, and had brilliant success with increased range, which I'm convinced was down to having a consistent power supply to the RB.    I can thoroughly recommend the Lindy unit, but it's around £54 delivered for 12.5m version.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

t1mb0

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »
yep I steered clear of Maplins version as it didn't seem to offer the same performance as the one I got, if we're talking about the same one.
The one I have boasts up to 60m and with the length I am using it has been A1.
Plenty of ideas to keep you pondering anyway.
12m SE of EGHI

Tramline

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:26 PM »
So just to confirm, I plan to use the supplied antenna but will need cable extension to the RB.   I wasn't planning any extension to the actual RB box (i.e the USB lead from the PC to the RB) but simply a longer lead from the RB box to the antenna.  I hope I'm making sense here.  I'm most grateful for all your ideas and details you supply.

bratters

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »
If I've read it right Tramline what you need is not an extension aerial lead but an extension USB lead ie between your box and your PC.  Aerial extensions cause signal loss; UHB extensions do not.

Put your box together with your aerial in the loft then connect via extended USB to your PC. As discussed you will need a live powered extension - plenty on ebay.

Works well for me - although signal reception in my loft is not of the best regardless of the aerial. :(

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:36:22 PM »
As I said above, I can thoroughly recommend the Lindy USB Active Extension System available from

http://www.lindy.co.uk/sharing-converting-extending/usb-extenders-converters/

I've no connection other than as a very satisfied customer and user.     You pays your money and takes your choice!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Tramline

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 03:32:13 PM »
I'm obviously not explaining myself too well, so let me apologise and clarify.

1. I was intending to locate my standard antenna in the loft and keep it there.  I was hoping to run an extended cable from the antenna down to the RB unit and my laptop which would be located in my study.

2. So what I'm looking to do is extend the antenna lead from the PC/RB to the loft.  I would then purchase another standard antenna so I can go 'mobile' with my PC and RB whenever I wish.

I've taken onboard the comment about signal loss when extending the antenna lead but wondered if anyone had actually set their RB use as I've described and could add to any of the previous posts.

Once again, I'm most grateful for those who've posted their thought, comments and links.

Hopefully, I've explained myself clearer this time!