anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Running Airnav on a Macbook  (Read 8233 times)

thetrees

• FreeBird Aviation Database
Running Airnav on a Macbook
« on: December 01, 2009, 01:26:20 PM »
Folks,

I have finally made the leap from Microsoft to Apple and have loaded the ANRB software on to the Windows element within Parallels on my Macbook.

The problem is that the box won't be picked up by the software when plugged in.

Does anyone have any experience, or is this something that just won't work?
Laurence

Fenris

Re: Running Airnav on a Macbook
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »
Are there any settings relating to USB in the Parallels settings?

What does Parallels say about its level of USB support?

donegalvolvo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
I'm running it no problems on a 24" iMac with OS 10.6.2.

I have used it through Windows XP in Parallels and VMware and found Parallels to be better.

When you first plug in the radarbox Parallels should ask you if you want to connect the box to the mac or to the virtual pc. Select the virtual pc and tell it to always remember your choice.

If that doesn't work then in the parellels menu bar at the top of the screen click on Devices - USB. You shoucl see AirNav RadarBox. Click it. A tick beside it means it is connected.

Now you will also need the drivers installed for the box. You can run the installer cd to do this.

If it still doesn't work go to start - control panel - system - hardware - device manager. You should see the radarbox showing up under the USB list.

It will work though and it's going great for me.

thetrees

• FreeBird Aviation Database
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
Thanks for your advice.
I have checked everything and it's definitely there, it just doesn't want to function!
Possibly a Windows 7 thing, so i'll try and dig out what's troubling it.
Laurence

x777

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 03:09:46 PM »
No problems with my Macbook, also running Parallels.  Not being funny but I take it you did the normal install on the virtual machine?  Also, Parallels Tools may help if not installed (for some reason I couldn't connect to my wireless network until I installed it).

Cheers

x777

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 03:11:17 PM »
Oh yes I seem to remember I had to install both the CD software AND run the Windows device manager to make it work

N3HEV

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 03:25:03 AM »
Hello all......

I am running MAC OS 10.6.2 with Parallels 5.0 build 9344. RB loads and starts fine, but after about 5 minutes or so, the Data LED stops flashing, then the USB LED stops also, even though the RB software (V3.13 with driver 2.6.0.0) shows the RB hardware still connected.

Any ideas why? I have checked and re-checked the drivers, re-installed the program, all no good. RB does run fine over 12 hrs or more when booting the MAC via Bootcamp straight into WinXP, just won't stay running in the virtual XP.....frustrating....everything else in that environment works fine.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions......

daelight

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
Hello,

Having found the same issue with both Parallels & VMWare 'losing' usb connectivity after 3 minutes so I am using the free, and very capable, VirtualBox VM on my Macbook. It is being constantly being updated and optimized. Give it a whirl...

N3HEV

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
daelight......

I downloaded and installed the VirtualBox software, loaded up WnXP and RB 3.13 w/2.6.0.0 driver and it works great! I have been up and running now for well over two hours and I've had message counts as high as 55 per second.....all on a lousy no gain discone in the attic....can't wait to get a real gain antenna on the freq and a pre-amp.....now to get rid of those mountains to my west........Thanks for the tip, but I sure wish I knew what kept it from working on Parallels....

daelight

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:32:18 AM »
I run that setup alot. Would recommend at least 3GB RAM too.

Glad that helped you. I'm afraid there's not much I can do about the mountains to the west :P

N3HEV

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 03:14:13 PM »
daelight.....

Have you run into a sizing issue with the RB software inside of VirtualBox? I run VB at my MAC's native resolution, read 1900xsomething, but RB looks big and when I try to open preferences, it opens the screen fine, but half of it is not able to be seen or allow me to click the 'save' button to save my changes. I keep playing with the resolution to get RB higher, that is smaller, and it won't budge.

N3HEV

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
daelight.....

I fixed my problem. Just adjusted WinXP settings and all fell into line. Loving the RB now :)