AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox 3D (4.00) Ready for Beta Testing  (Read 30742 times)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
Re: RadarBox 3D (4.00) Ready for Beta Testing
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2009, 03:26:02 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the odd 3D Model pointing in the wrong direction?

e.g. in this screenshot, you can see the aircraft is heading 075 in both the text interface and the 2D screen, and also the trails in the 3D screen, but the model itself is pointing in a totally different direction (I'd guess 320 by the looks of it)

abrad41

« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
Hi Airnav

I have been running the new "exe" a few hrs know and seems stable (Without Network). The biggest problems for me are -

The welcome screen is still there and the rb does not remember the window postions.

Andy

GlynH

« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2009, 11:09:44 AM »
OK...got the latest version...thanks.

Observations;

1. 3D map is useless for me...sorry.
I cannot see aircraft on there that I can see on the Map View or am alerted to within a 5-mile radius despite the 3D View being set to a 20 mile radius.

2. Sometimes lines just appear with the aircraft label but no model of the aircraft.

3. The imagery of where I live is not detailed enough and looks ugly! ;^)

4. The zoom function is erratic and difficult to use.

5. When zooming the 3D View I have little idea of the scale unlike the Map View where airports can be seen and Radar Rings work.

6. Clicking the Home button zooms in so far that the Radar rings around my home location are nearly full screen.

7. Clicking the aircraft icon sometimes brings up the details box for less than a second - far too quick to be of any use. On occasions it does obey the timeout box of 10 seconds

7. Hitting F3 does not take the screenshot - is it supposed to?

8. FTP upload stops.

9. Switching to Map View still opens the window in a thin strip taking up about a third of the available space. Even maximising it and then closing the program down gracefully will not make the app remember the next time and so it still opens up the Map view in a tall thin strip.

10. Sometimes exiting the app although it closes the program window still leaves itself in the toolbar and can only be closed with TaskManager.

I could go on but I wouldn't want to sound disrespectful or you 3D guys to get upset with me so I'll shut up for now...

I'm sorry but this 3D thing really isn't for me at all - it's not even eye-candy as I thought it might be although I will say some of the screenshots you guys upload look pretty good...mine are rubbish. :-(

I was going to attach the Beta_log.txt but it is 838MB in size (61MB zipped) for what might amount to less than half an hours use? :-0

No wonder the app is running slow...it's taking all the resources just writing the Beta-log!! ;^)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:21:48 AM by GlynH »

abrad41

« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »
Glyn

Clicking the Home button zooms in so far that the Radar rings around my home location are nearly full screen.

Agree.

Clicking the aircraft icon sometimes brings up the details box for less than a second - far too quick to be of any use. On occasions it does obey the timeout box of 10 seconds

Agree.

FTP upload stops

Agree - Mine is not working at all today.

Switching to Map View still opens the window in a thin strip taking up about a third of the available space. Even maximising it and then closing the program down gracefully will not make the app remember the next time and so it still opens up the Map view in a tall thin strip.

Agree - again

Andy

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #154 on: December 13, 2009, 02:21:54 AM »
Can we have an option to define our own SMTP server to send logs/alerts etc.

There have been a number of instances recently where it would be nice to have this option, including the current problem of daily logs being truncated at 42k, outstanding for about a month now.....

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2009, 03:15:28 AM »
I've just had another instance in the latest beta where the preferences panel fell behind the main screen and was inaccessible - had to F4 to close it.

Also in pilot view the height line is sometimes being displayed in front of the view while the virtual plane catches up to it. This wasn't apparent in earlier beta's and probably should be turned off while in pilot view. - Example video & screenshot here:

http://www.petermcgrath.info/AirNav/Video_2009-12-13_140447.wmv

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:42 AM »
I could go on but I wouldn't want to sound disrespectful or you 3D guys to get upset with me so I'll shut up for now...

I'm sorry but this 3D thing really isn't for me at all - it's not even eye-candy as I thought it might be although I will say some of the screenshots you guys upload look pretty good...mine are rubbish. :-(

Hi Glyn

I've also reported a lot of the problems you listed - I'm sure AirNav would rather know about any bugs now than find out about them after the general public have their hands on it, so lets hear all about any others you have :)

haha - sorry, we can't help where you live :) (joking!)

To be fair I had a look at your location via the network and the google earth terrain is quite detailed, the problem seems to be most aircraft are flying high above you, so you never get to see the detail.

Where I am, typically the aircraft will be on approach to Sydney airport so when I'm capturing screenshots they will be more detailed, because I'm closer to the ground, sometimes almost down to ground zero.

The other thing I noticed about you location is that there are SO MANY aircraft in the sky - ANRB does run a lot slower because there is so much more to display. Not sure how much extra delay is caused by processing network traffic at this end, I normally have the network off, but it didn't seem to make a lot of difference in Chile where there were only a few aircraft on display...

fyi - I did capture a couple of screenshots of your location, are these similar to what you are seeing??

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I also have the problem of the height line going ahead of the aircraft in pilot view, but please don't turn it off - I was in a Jet2 B733 in the hold over Blackpool only two nights ago (due to fog), and it was good to see us chasing our own trail.

Rod
Rod

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
but please don't turn it off - I was in a Jet2 B733 in the hold over Blackpool only two nights ago (due to fog), and it was good to see us chasing our own trail.

Kinda defeats the purpose of "pilot view" doesn't it?, Maybe you need a "Pilot view with fog lights" :)

You can use "follow aircraft" if you want the trails displayed as well...

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
6. Clicking the Home button zooms in so far that the Radar rings around my home location are nearly full screen.

Does setting the "Looking down From" 3D option to a larger value (like 40000 or 50000) help?

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »

Does setting the "Looking down From" 3D option to a larger value (like 40000 or 50000) help?

pjm is correct. You should try modifying the "Home View: Looking down from" value. The reason it's so big now is to make it more visible after you zoom out and start tracking aircraft. There have been suggestion that the symbol is too small.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2009, 04:45:57 PM »
I also have the problem of the height line going ahead of the aircraft in pilot view, but please don't turn it off - I was in a Jet2 B733 in the hold over Blackpool only two nights ago (due to fog), and it was good to see us chasing our own trail.

Rod

I think that if we only disable showing the last few most recent points in the trail, it should solve both problems. 1. it will prevent the end of the line becoming visible and 2. it will keep the path visible so you can see your own trail if in a holding pattern. Sound ok?

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2009, 04:47:40 PM »
I've just had another instance in the latest beta where the preferences panel fell behind the main screen and was inaccessible - had to F4 to close it.

Also in pilot view the height line is sometimes being displayed in front of the view while the virtual plane catches up to it. This wasn't apparent in earlier beta's and probably should be turned off while in pilot view. - Example video & screenshot here:

http://www.petermcgrath.info/AirNav/Video_2009-12-13_140447.wmv

Hi pjm,

The GUI developers are now hard at work fixing these GUI problems. They will fix this bug.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »
OK...got the latest version...thanks.

Observations;

1. 3D map is useless for me...sorry.
I cannot see aircraft on there that I can see on the Map View or am alerted to within a 5-mile radius despite the 3D View being set to a 20 mile radius.

2. Sometimes lines just appear with the aircraft label but no model of the aircraft.

4. The zoom function is erratic and difficult to use.

5. When zooming the 3D View I have little idea of the scale unlike the Map View where airports can be seen and Radar Rings work.

7. Clicking the aircraft icon sometimes brings up the details box for less than a second - far too quick to be of any use. On occasions it does obey the timeout box of 10 seconds

7. Hitting F3 does not take the screenshot - is it supposed to?

8. FTP upload stops.

9. Switching to Map View still opens the window in a thin strip taking up about a third of the available space. Even maximising it and then closing the program down gracefully will not make the app remember the next time and so it still opens up the Map view in a tall thin strip.

10. Sometimes exiting the app although it closes the program window still leaves itself in the toolbar and can only be closed with TaskManager.

I was going to attach the Beta_log.txt but it is 838MB in size (61MB zipped) for what might amount to less than half an hours use? :-0

No wonder the app is running slow...it's taking all the resources just writing the Beta-log!! ;^)

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Glyn, something is definitely wrong in your case. Is there any chance I could a copy of this log? Could you post it online either here on the forum or to a file upload site (like drop.io) for us to get? It should not get this big. I apologize for this not working for you. I understand your frustration and we want to get this fixed asap.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
Hi Airnav

I have been running the new "exe" a few hrs know and seems stable (Without Network). The biggest problems for me are -

The welcome screen is still there and the rb does not remember the window postions.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The GUI devs are now working on this and the other GUI related issues (preferences falling behind and settings getting lost etc..). This will be fixed soon.