AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RadarBox 3D (4.00) Ready for Beta Testing  (Read 30454 times)

Falcon

Re: RadarBox 3D (4.00) Ready for Beta Testing
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »
Hi AirNav,

I'm not sure if you'll receive my e-mail or forum message first but it appears I don't have a 3d menu available to me in the software. I've received an e-mail indicating I'm active for the 3d from Andre. Could someone look into this. I'm running a clean install of 4.00.

Thanks,
Darryl

GlynH

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Hi AirNav,

I'm not sure if you'll receive my e-mail or forum message first but it appears I don't have a 3d menu available to me in the software. I've received an e-mail indicating I'm active for the 3d from Andre. Could someone look into this. I'm running a clean install of 4.00.

Thanks,
Darryl

Ditto.

Although ANRB v4 starts up in 3D View when I go to Preferences there is no 3D tab...not even a blank tab like reported earlier so I am unable to access any 3D settings.

Also when I do open the Preferences window where the Apply, OK, Cancel & Help buttons are at the bottom of the menu they don't quite fit in the height of the window and therefore the scroll bar shows to the right of the buttons...looks odd and there is definitely enough screen estate there to display the buttons as can be seen from the screenshot.

http://www.screencast.com/t/MDBkZGNkZT

There is also an annoying square image in the middle of the screen which completely obscures my location and of course gets bigger when I zoom in...see 2nd attached screenshot.

http://www.screencast.com/t/YTljNTlmYT

I can concur with other reports that the info in the Status bar is almost impossible to read and would agree that the FP upload time should be user configurable - I have asked for this before but you didn't want to make major changes at that time.

Is now the time maybe...

...or maybe not as ANRD3D has completely frozen up after less than 10 minutes of running.

The File Menu button has stuck in (age-old problem) and I cannot access any menu, screen update is not working, even Task Manager does not see it as Not Responding but I cannot even use the minimise/maximise/close gadgets nor anything else.

Look what happens when I move the Task Manager box over the ANRB screen...I now have the sleepy pointer up when moving over the RB screen.

Clicking a couple of times on the taskbar caused the complete program to shut down and disappear from view.

This is repeatable and occurs even after a reboot.

http://www.screencast.com/t/MWMyOGUzOGM

The last time I ran the program however the strange square in the middle of the screen turned into a set of 'radar rings' which although is much better than the square still obscures my location...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:19:01 AM by GlynH »

Falcon

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 07:28:56 AM »

Ditto.

Although ANRB v4 starts up in 3D View when I go to Preferences there is no 3D tab...not even a blank tab like reported earlier so I am unable to access any 3D settings.

If I'm not mistaken there is supposed to be a 3d menu option right from the main menu without going to preferences. So you would have File, Filters, Map, 3D View, Tools, Window, Help

I don't start in 3D or see anything remotely resembling anything 3D in the software. I login successfully so maybe somebody didn't throw the 3D switch on my account correctly.

Darryl

GlynH

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 08:26:56 AM »
If I'm not mistaken there is supposed to be a 3d menu option right from the main menu without going to preferences. So you would have File, Filters, Map, 3D View, Tools, Window, Help
Darryl

I can't really say for certain just where the 3D Preferences are as I can't see 'em! ;^)

Taking a look here would indicate to me that it should be another tab in the Preferences window;

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3901.msg39189#msg39189

Darryl, do you see any menu anomolies on the latest builds or have yours been banished for good?

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »
I've noticed if you are in "follow aircraft" mode and the aircraft goes out of range and times out, if you don't exit the "follow aircraft" mode, some time later the 3D screen will dunk you in the ocean (if you're over the ocean). I don't know what happens if you leave it in that mode over the earth!

This has happened to me a few times....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNQCYUS_sw

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 09:05:29 AM »
I can't really say for certain just where the 3D Preferences are as I can't see 'em! ;^)

You can also get to the 3D preferences page via "3D View/3D View Settings", but yes the tab is missing from the normal preferences view... But I now see that is missing for you too Glyn...

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 09:14:00 AM by pjm »

GlynH

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 09:17:45 AM »
If I start ANRB3D in 3D View and then click the Map View for the first time a window appears that is smaller than the usual map window and is zoomed out a long way.

I then zoom in and centre my Home location.

If I then click 3D View I get the GE plug-in with the earth in the centre of the screen but then it zooms out to make the earth smaller!!

If I then click on Map View the GE plug-in disappears and I just get a blank grey screen.

Clicking 3D View will bring the GE plug-in back but again in a smaller window and once again the earth zooms out so the earth is @ 1" diameter...difficult to see continents let alone aircraft over England! ;^)

Again Map View (and Split View) just goves a blank grey screen with nothing in it.

In addition all of the icons on the Quick Launch icon bar are greyed out with the exception of the last three; Weather, Airport & Get Weather.

I also get Flight in Range Alerts (set up for 5Nm) but no aircraft appear on the 3D map.

When I do see an aircraft it appears to be either flying backwards (red aircraft flying from Solihull to Oxford) or sideways (green aircraft over Milton Keynes) - see attached screenshot.

If I click on the aircraft icon I get the info window pop up for less than a second so am unable to read anything about it.

If I click on 3D View from the Main Menu and click 3D View Settings the Preferences window opens but defaults to the General tab - as I said before there is no 3D tab.

As mentioned before there is no FTP upload when in 3D view.

On opening the program a second time the GE plug-n defaulted to the North Pole and my Home Location had disappeared although if I click Home (which has now reappeared and is not ghosted) it takes me home but neither the word Home nor Banbury shows.

A quick look shows that the option for my Custom Legend in Preferences has been wiped clean.

When I exit I get the error requestor window open.

This was from a virgin install...should I continue?

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:30 AM »
The last time I ran the program however the strange square in the middle of the screen turned into a set of 'radar rings' which although is much better than the square still obscures my location...

That's what you should have, once you start tracking a few aircraft it will seem really tiny and hard to see :)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »
Another funny when starting ANRB, that I haven't seem before. "reload plugin" fixed it, but I think this is the first time I've ever had to use the "reload plugin" button!

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »

Something very strange going on with your setup Glyn. Sometimes you have the "3D View" options and other times you don't!

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 03:16:07 PM »
Hi AirNav,

Thanks,
Darryl

Hi Darryl,

It sounds like your account might not be setup correctly to allow the 3D option on the server. Also, when you startup RadarBox 3D, your computer must be connected to the Internet. Be sure your connection is established before starting RadarBox and see if you get the same problem. If you were already connected and still dont get 3D, then your account must not be configured correctly on the server. We'll check into your account on the server. I'll PM later after I verify.

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
Another funny when starting ANRB, that I haven't seem before. "reload plugin" fixed it, but I think this is the first time I've ever had to use the "reload plugin" button!

pjm - This happens on occasion which is why we make that 'reload plugin' easy to find. The Google Earth Plugin sometimes has problems with too many 3D models loading or using too much memory (and sometimes other problems that we don't fully understand why it crashes). There is an internal timer in RadarBox software that will detect the plugin has crashed and will restart it automatically, but you must have caught it before the timer checked status.

prbflight

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:36 PM »
I don't recall the sequence of screen changes I did but I eventually found the 3D settings screen.  After I had configured my settings I let the program run overnight. when I checked it out in the morning I did not suffer from the freeze the day before.  The program appears to be running ok right now although over the last 48 hours I have had the same issues as noted by others above.

Paul@cyyb
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:28:12 PM by prbflight »

AirNav 3D Development

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
If I start ANRB3D in 3D View and then click the Map View for the first time a window appears that is smaller than the usual map window and is zoomed out a long way.

I then zoom in and centre my Home location.

If I then click 3D View I get the GE plug-in with the earth in the centre of the screen but then it zooms out to make the earth smaller!!

If I then click on Map View the GE plug-in disappears and I just get a blank grey screen.

Clicking 3D View will bring the GE plug-in back but again in a smaller window and once again the earth zooms out so the earth is @ 1" diameter...difficult to see continents let alone aircraft over England! ;^)

Again Map View (and Split View) just goves a blank grey screen with nothing in it.

In addition all of the icons on the Quick Launch icon bar are greyed out with the exception of the last three; Weather, Airport & Get Weather.

I also get Flight in Range Alerts (set up for 5Nm) but no aircraft appear on the 3D map.

When I do see an aircraft it appears to be either flying backwards (red aircraft flying from Solihull to Oxford) or sideways (green aircraft over Milton Keynes) - see attached screenshot.

If I click on the aircraft icon I get the info window pop up for less than a second so am unable to read anything about it.

If I click on 3D View from the Main Menu and click 3D View Settings the Preferences window opens but defaults to the General tab - as I said before there is no 3D tab.

As mentioned before there is no FTP upload when in 3D view.

On opening the program a second time the GE plug-n defaulted to the North Pole and my Home Location had disappeared although if I click Home (which has now reappeared and is not ghosted) it takes me home but neither the word Home nor Banbury shows.

A quick look shows that the option for my Custom Legend in Preferences has been wiped clean.

When I exit I get the error requestor window open.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Hi GlynH,

The window size you describe on startup is indeed strange. Those nested windows (map or 3D view) should starup maximized. If it opens small, click the maximize icon on that sub-window and it will fill up the full space. After you do that and close the application, it should remember that it should auto-maximize the sub-windows next time. If this is not the case, please let us know. Also, can you provide us with your system specs (i.e. OS version and screen resolution is most important in your case). Please send these to [email protected].

Regarding the "flying backward" you mention, when starting RB3D for the first time, we set the settings to "minimum" as default which just overlays a simple icon on the 3D map where aircraft are detected. The three icons only represent 'climb', 'leveled' and 'descend' only and and don't represent heading at all (which is why they look like it's flying backward). If you go into the 3D View settings and choose either "medium" or "maximum" setting, you'll get more detailed aircraft icons (or 3D models) which will show you the heading correctly as you expect. They do use more system resources, but they look very cool. We need to set minimum as a default so we can support basic hardware (i.e. no graphic accelerator).

We're still trying to determine what could be going on with the other issues you had. Stay tuned on those and we'll respond with more details soon.

prbflight

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »
I just shut down the program and restarted.  Here is the sequence I used to get to the 3D settings.  Maybe it will work for others.

1) start RadarBox 3D and let it load fully...it should start in 3D (note the menu at top does not give 3D View option.

2) click on the Map View tab and let the map view load.  (note the 3D View option is now on the menu although if you open it every thing is greyed out.

3) click on the Split View tab and let both screens load (if you go to 3D View now and click on settings you still do not get the 3D settings screen yet.)

4) now click on the maximize box on the 3D portion of the split screen so it overlaps the 2D box.  Your screen now shows the 3D map only.

5) go back to the 3D View menu and click on settings and the settings screen will appear...at least it does for me.

Paul@cyyb