anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: anrb 3D  (Read 17074 times)

Silver Doctor

Re: anrb 3D
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 04:25:41 PM »
Gotta agree with Jordan's reaction!!!! I was looking forward to it but based on that price, I think AN have lost a perfect opportunity. We have been drumming up potential new members based on the release of the 3D version. It looks so much better than whats there at the moment and makes it easier to get new members interested. However, while some may be willing to purchase the Radarbox, they see the additional cost of the add-ones too expensive to take the plunge. All our presentations go well until we get to the cost of the "add-ons" & upgrades.....then it aall goes pear shaped! Customers (and potential ones!) feel like they are just being sucked in and then ripped off.....very disappointing!! Wouldn't it be better to promote a reasonably priced product and drive for higher volume sales than implement such high pricing and force the Radarbox into an enthusiast market only???? Or maybe I'm just the unlucky one to live in an area hit by recent economic woes!! I just see a very shorted sighted strategy here, sorry......I'll just have to make do with my 2D!
Is it a bird, is it a plane...nooooo its the silver doctor!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 04:45:32 PM »
I'm perfectly happy with the 2D version, and would never consider paying to use the 3D which, IMO (and as I'm the one who'd be paying!), it is purely gimmicky and eye candy - very useful for air crash/near miss investigation, but not for me.    I'm just interested to know what's up there, but, each to their own!    Real-time I mght pay for.
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

Silver Doctor

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
Agreed John, especially when it comes to real time. I also agree with your "eye candy" comment, but in todays world these kind of updates are expected as part of the standard package....not something to pay large premiums for later. Plus its the "eye candy" that helps to create the initial impression and get new members first introduced to our club, ie, those kind of images generate a lot more initial interest and have more pulling power than the 2D images.....what we have found is that after that initial "pull in", many quickly lose interest when they see the cost...its typically only the real enthusiast that stays any way interested. If thats the sole target market of the product then no problem, if its targeted at a wider audience then our experience and evidence shows its definitely not effective. Anyway.....on with the show...thats someone else's worry...I'll jut enjoy the pieces I like!
Is it a bird, is it a plane...nooooo its the silver doctor!

jannuh

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
I'm happy with 2D and realtime @ PlanePlotter (pay once 25 euro!)

Tried 3d G.E. at PP, more a play function, nice to try a few times...

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
I'd rather have free network with automatic multilateration to track non ADS-B aircraft.

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 05:54:12 PM »
Just an update, RadarBox 3D is in Final Beta Testing currently, once we have more information to dates etc.. we will provide them.

Regarding some of the other comments. RadarBox 2D will still be updated etc. RadarBox 3D is a separate project and has no affect on 2D.

We are giving customers the choice, we are not forcing them. The cost of buying both a competitor product and RadarBox with the 3D version will be similar so we see no issue the cost. There also been a considerable amount of cost and effort been put into this project that we have to recoup.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Fenris

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
oh my god are you serious? 90 pounds?
thats a quarter of the whole price of the box

But remember you're paying for the development costs incurred in producing the software, plus some profit. The actual RB hardware cost is probably about 10% of the purchase price, so you're paying for its utility to you rather than the cost of the parts.

The usual rule is that the manufacturer only gets about 1/3 of the retail price, because once you've removed the VAT and then the profit for the distributor, that's about what's left.