anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who controls UK at night?  (Read 5135 times)

ukv1290

Who controls UK at night?
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:00:21 AM »
Hey all!

I have noticed that not a lot seems to go over the UK at night! - Is the UK bandboxed into one freqency? - What sector is it bandbox into?

Thanks

Tom

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Who controls UK at night?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 02:04:52 AM »
I can't answer your question, but yes, it is very quiet tonight - I've only got three aircraft in all UK airspace at the moment. Thank goodness for the network - Australia's buzzing right now!

Most of our Aussie users are probably using RB version 3.11, and seeing areas that they never got before!

Rod
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:06:40 AM by RodBearden »
Rod

radarspotter10

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 02:30:43 AM »
Hey all!

I have noticed that not a lot seems to go over the UK at night! - Is the UK bandboxed into one freqency? - What sector is it bandbox into?

Thanks

Tom
hi ukv1290.
Do not think so, i hear Scottish control at night for north Ireland
from pat
ps:
i am tracking pat 44 usa air force.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:39:13 AM by radarspotter10 »

MrT

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »
I can't answer your question, but yes, it is very quiet tonight - I've only got three aircraft in all UK airspace at the moment. Thank goodness for the network - Australia's buzzing right now!

Most of our Aussie users are probably using RB version 3.11, and seeing areas that they never got before!

Rod

G'day Rod,

Yes, the Aussie airspace is alive again tonight. :)

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 04:42:20 PM »
Hi, I'm new to RB and the forum but have been a pilot and airband listener for some 30 years now, it's certainly true there is a 'skeleton' crew at the atc centres during quiet night periods, usually several sectors might be bandboxed together and not always the same ones. I live 15nm south of East Midlands which can get busy later at night though with freight traffic.
14NM SSE of EGNX

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 10:17:20 PM »
Hi Flanker, Pat and all, I'm very fortunate living where I do, on The Lizard, sw Cornwall, looking out west over the Atlantic, with the Lands End transmitter in sight (on a clear day?), 132.95 (busy 24/7) London west ATC is loud and clear at all times, as are the aircraft which call on this frequency.    I've come to the conclusion that the west (Lands End) ATC radio set up works as a repeater, as the aircraft show the same signal strength as the ATC when transmitting - can anyone confirm this?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 08:18:03 PM by CoastGuardJon »
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

cornish rebel

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »
Hi Flanker and welcome to the forum. I'm over in Ireland about 20 miles from Shannon/EINN I have a scanner tuned in to all the Shannon frequencies with my Rb to I find from midnight it gets fairly quiet over here apart from cargo stuff flying over your way till around half 3ish in the morning when it starts to pick up again with the oceanic comes over here heading your way for the morning rush most gets bandboxed to STU VOR before being being passed over to London control but then can depend on where they are heading as some of will head to WAL VOR before being passed over Manchester control or even MAC VOR  before being passed over to scottish control what or where they go after that I don't know as its out of my range.
Located in Limerick Ireland about 20 odd miles from Shannon airport EINN

cray725

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:47:31 AM »
Overnight after 00:01 hours flights disappear here mostly in England. Noise abatement laws apply! Stuff flying over 20,000 feet an in transit doesn't count but most UK airports in  the UK have night time flying limits for take offs and landings.
ANRB, Acars 2.1, AirnavSuite 2004 and an SBS1e

t1mb0

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 08:36:32 PM »
I have found the following often bandboxed together
same controller (and aircraft) 'repeating' simultaneously on all three, ie it's doing it now.
12m SE of EGHI

cornish rebel

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:39:16 AM »
I that over here with Shannon control sometimes it depends which sector they are flying through and how busy it is up there
Located in Limerick Ireland about 20 odd miles from Shannon airport EINN

cray725

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 05:07:36 AM »
I used to control Electricity at night and day. I was a Network Control Engineer.
I worked a full shift pattern, it messed up my retirement sleep :)
ANRB, Acars 2.1, AirnavSuite 2004 and an SBS1e

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »
Overnight after 00:01 hours flights disappear here mostly in England. Noise abatement laws apply! Stuff flying over 20,000 feet an in transit doesn't count but most UK airports in  the UK have night time flying limits for take offs and landings.

Not sure if the same noise abatement laws apply in Scotland ;)
Most nights I see landings at Kinloss for Loganair and Aurigny aka Royal Mail, in the early hours around 1am-3am.  Or maybe different laws apply to civilian aircraft using military airfields.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:52:16 PM by tarbat »