AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft type in MyLog / MyFlights  (Read 8499 times)

Jollygreen

Aircraft type in MyLog / MyFlights
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:37:13 PM »
I am seeing several aircraft types as either blank, null or '...' in MyLog / MyFlights even though the aircraft is correctly identified in the picture section of MyFlights. Is there a way I can update the Aircrft Type table in the Database Explorer to have all types, mine is currently only showing 1036 records. Can anyone supply me with a list of the valid aircraft types so that I can update the actype table by hopefully importing the data.

Many thanks

Nigel

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Aircraft type in MyLog / MyFlights
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:40:04 PM »
You need to select the Aircraft table in database explorer.  You can then update any aircraft types (the AT field) with the correct values.  Sorting the table on the AT field is a good way of finding those with blanks or "...".

Jollygreen

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 01:00:14 PM »
Tarbat, trouble I have is that there are none of these values are in the Aircraft Type table. I only see them in the Aircraft table. Does the Aircraft table get the aircraft type designator from the Aircraft Table? If so, is it a case of checking what is missing from the Aircraft table and adding it to the Aircraft Type table. If so, do you know where can I get a list of valid aircraft types

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:26:32 PM »
You should never need to update the actype table. I don't think that table is used.

There are lists around of ICAO aircraft types - eg. http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm
Put "*" in Manufacturer to get a list of all 9021 ICAO type codes.

I'm sure someone has posted a better link that that, so try a search on the forum for ICAO. However, what I tend to do is:

1. Look in the data\silhouettes folder.  There you will find the silhouettes of all ICAO aircraft types that Radarbox recognises.

2. Find a similar aircraft in the aircraft table.

Do you have an example of what you're looking for?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:30:02 PM by tarbat »

Jollygreen

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:47:13 PM »
Some examples from today are ....
CS-DSA  ...
CS-DXZ  ... 
D-ABQJ  ...
N137WA  ... 
ZJ170   ...

Nigel

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »
There are lists around of ICAO aircraft types - eg. http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm
Put "*" in Manufacturer to get a list of all 9021 ICAO type codes.

It's not quite as bad as that !

There are 2354 ICAO type designator codes - the 9021 count refers to the type descriptors, which contain a lot of aliases to aid searching.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:08:16 PM »
Some examples from today are ....
CS-DSA  ...
CS-DXZ  ... 
D-ABQJ  ...
N137WA  ... 
ZJ170   ...

I'd use GAS lookup for those.  For example, the first one (CS-DSA) is FA7X

YXUphoto

• YXUphoto
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »
Just wondering....lets say RB gets a Mode-S code from an aircraft, what is the next step?  Does it look in the NavData and if the info is there, then uses only that info?  Or does it download more info from the network (if available) and replaces your entries in the NavData?  I have been updating 100s of outdated entries in NavData and wouldn't want RB to overwrite my good info with outdated info (like Aircraft type)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:56:03 PM »
If you want to prevent Radarbox updating your aircraft, then best to turn off populate in Preferences.

DaveReid

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 04:59:44 PM »
Just wondering....lets say RB gets a Mode-S code from an aircraft, what is the next step?  Does it look in the NavData and if the info is there, then uses only that info?  Or does it download more info from the network (if available) and replaces your entries in the NavData?  I have been updating 100s of outdated entries in NavData and wouldn't want RB to overwrite my good info with outdated info (like Aircraft type)

The way it should work, IMHO, is that when you pick up a Mode S code RadarBox checks the current details for that code on the server, and if those are different (i.e. more up-to-date) than the details in your local database then the latter should be automatically updated.

But what has been happening to some users is that out-of-date (or blank) data coming from the server has been overwriting good data in their local databases - hence AirNav's advice to disable the downloading of photos/details as a precaution until the problem is fixed.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

YXUphoto

• YXUphoto
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »
I had a suspicion that was happening.  I have noticed that I have updated several entries over and over.  Problem is, most of the info I get is good and I wouldn't want RB to stop receiving updates.  Sometimes partial updates are better than no updates.  Once my DB is fairly full, I can turn off the info and just concentrate on fixing errors.

YXUphoto

• YXUphoto
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 06:01:07 PM »
I know lots of the info comes from the G.A.S. server, but when I tried to update their info, it wouldn't accept it.

Pinza

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
Have been busy manually updating my AirNav databases - mainly with a/c type - probably self-inflicted grief for ignoring this forum's advice to turn off auto-populate during network problems...

Finally worked out how to add or amend aircraft details, but still have one question:

Before I open Database Explorer (to play around), I am unchecking 'Process Hardware Flights' and 'Process Network Flights'.

Do I need to do this? - or can I leave them 'ticked' to receive live data while I update?

Am just a bit paranoid about corrupting my databases if AirNav tries to write to them while I have them open for editing!

DaveReid

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 08:03:05 PM »
The SQLite database engine is certainly capable of managing simultaneous access from multiple programs, or multiple threads within a single program.

A properly-written application should be able to take advantage of this.

Pinza

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »
Gosh Dave - if that's a reply to me, then you've just blinded me with science!

Am I using a 'properly-written application' or not?

Basically, do I need to close 'processing' tick boxes or not before messing with Database Explorer.

Cheers
Chris ;)