anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Show us your twig!  (Read 16795 times)

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Show us your twig!
« on: November 14, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »
With this talk of aerials, including the standard twig on a narrowboat, and remembering some photos of other folks’ aerials posted on various other threads, I wonder if it would be good to start a thread where users can post photos of their aerials – so here’s mine.

and here's my polar diagram - expanded suspiciously by the real-time network, allegedly.

I can’t get a photo showing my surroundings, but if you can, so much the better. My twig is an HBA-1090 feeding 15m of Westflex W103. No preamp.

Anyone else want to share?

Rod
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:50:07 PM by RodBearden »
Rod

juangelb

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
    • Máquinas Voadoras
Re: Show us your twig!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Here goes my...
The two white vertilcal homebriew...

Polar diag. At SW heavy blocking of half a dozem 25 floor buildins, at SE heavy blocking of a 10 metess away of antennae high tower.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:12:09 PM by juangelb »

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi Rod nice idea so here is mine. It's the DPD antenna mounted on a 6 foot pole on the chimney stack. 15 metres of Westflex W103 as with yours. i thought it might be interesting to see the polar diagram also?

If it makes sense, and to help orintate the polar diagram, if you took a direct line from where I took the picture through the chimney pot the Isle of Man lies in that direction

John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:01:12 PM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

Deadcalm

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
Here's mine.  AS1500 with Kuhne pre-amp, 20' from ground level.  We are in the beautiful Correze countryside in France, and about 450 metres amsl.  Reception is generally pretty good in most directions.  Mid-Biscay in the west, to Germany in the east, northern Spain in the south to the Loire valley in the north.

DC

Go around, I say again go around...

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
I've not been "across the pond" for more than 30 years and very much enjoy seeing the buildings and scenery that you're including with your antenna pics!  I've traveled in the UK, Europe and Russia, and so much of it is a photographer's dream.

Jim
KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA

RodBearden

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
Brilliant stuff, folks - thanks for the excellent pics - spectacular settings and views - just what I was hoping for - but I also want to see pics of the RadarBox aerial dangling from windows and propped up on biscuit tins on the shed roof!

Rod
Rod

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »
I'd post of picture of my twig, but it's hidden away in the loft in complete darkness :(

RodBearden

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
Heard of ladders and flash?  ;-)

Rod
Rod

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:15:37 PM »
I've tried.  Its all the roof trusses that get in the way, I just can't get a clear shot of it!!

jetset

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
My current set up in the loft.
The nearest is the Radar 100, and behind that is the AR30 for Airband. Both from Moonraker.
Hope to get these on the chimney sometime.
Steve

DeeJay

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
All these photos of outside antennas  make me very envious. Please spare a thought for those of us who are denied this facility.

RodBearden

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »
DeeJay - as I said in reply #5, I want to see all types of installations - if you've got your aerial stuck in a bookcase or on a windowsill, we'd still like to see it!

Rod
Rod

Northern Watch

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 07:35:06 PM »
Rod,

Your set-up looks similar to what I have planned for my newly acquired Rama Antenna.  The best position is on the gable end of the house using something similar to the brackets you have used.  Can you let me know where you bought them or was it mounted professionally.  Also, did you treat the external surface with something to protect it from the elements as I live close to the sea and could suffer from corrosion problems in the future.

Rgds

Keith

Fenris

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »
Polyurethane varnish works very well, it's slightly flexible so will not crack off easily when the antenna heats and cools.

Protect coax connectors and joints with self-amalgamating tape, but that's very UV sensitive so cover it with cloth tape and then cable tie that to prevent the glue failing. An overall coat of polyurethane varnish is not a bad idea.

54901 - Jim

• N9JHB.com
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
I relocated my Twig to its temporary location on a window sash in my home office a couple of days ago.  The polar diagram is not yet fully refreshed, but the coverage is about a 60 mile radius.  The antenna will be moved to my attic sometime during the winter months, along with some other antennae for scanning and ham radio.

Jim

KOSH - Oshkosh, Wisconsin USA