AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox is "blind" for the planes above my head  (Read 67300 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Radarbox is "blind" for the planes above my head
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 10:22:01 AM »
I think that if RB had a problem with 'multiple path signals' - although I'm not quite sure what you mean by this really - then it would be a common problem seen by loads of people.  I run my RB in a number of different areas, from the very busy London area with an incredible number of aircraft, to areas where the majority of traffic is medium to high level.  The results are the same - no blind area in the overhead.

I'm sure I remember a problem with a user in Singapore(?) who wasn't picking up local traffic.  I can't remember what the ideas were that were put forward for this, but it is a very unusual occurrence.

Have you tried running your RB from a different location?

That exact figure of 68 miles worries me a bit - why would it be exactly that figure?  What sort of level are the aircraft?

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
Yes it is very strange and annoying.  I havnt yet tried it at a diff location, I will take it mobile with a laptop when I get a chance.   With multiple path signals they can cancell out each other, or interfere with each other.  I am only guessing as I have no other explanation. 
FYI   I also have a SBS1e and it has none of these problems which would eliminate an interference at this location
Mike

Allocator

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:14 AM »
OK, we will wait with interest.  Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum as I see that you are a new member.  Have you only just discovered the forum?

I've got an SBS-1 too, and I ran RB and the SBS side by side for quite a while as I'd already had the SBS-1 for a year when I got my RB.  Two and a half years on and I don't use the SBS at all now.  I will fire it up again if Kinetic ever produce a software upgrade - lol

I didn't have any issues with a blind area with the SBS-1 either - the performance of the 2 boxes was pretty much identical, except of course for the RB network.

Where about in the world are you?

radarspotter10

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »
OK, we will wait with interest.  Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum as I see that you are a new member.  Have you only just discovered the forum?

I've got an SBS-1 too, and I ran RB and the SBS side by side for quite a while as I'd already had the SBS-1 for a year when I got my RB.  Two and a half years on and I don't use the SBS at all now.  I will fire it up again if Kinetic ever produce a software upgrade - lol

I didn't have any issues with a blind area with the SBS-1 either - the performance of the 2 boxes was pretty much identical, except of course for the RB network.

Where about in the world are you?

Hi Allocator.
Same this side allocator working perfect, maybe aerial on aircraft vertical/horizontal ? i dont know,  and welcome Mike_Tassy to the forum.
Mike_Tassy my problem at the minute on this forum, and not referring to you,
but i notice new members with a mission to run airnav down on there first or second posts, i have reported this to airnav, and airnav have caught a few in the last week.
Airnav is your product that good that people have to come to disrupt this forum and try to discredit the airnav system ?.
from pat 

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
Hi I am in Tasmania, Australia and not running any products down, just telling it like it is, and just need a fix for this problem. I really prefer the Airnav product aspecially the software side ,I think ANRB is far superior. I also have both boxes and find the performance to be similar - except the null.   You can rule out anything to do with antennas, coax,  computers, location, interference it just comes down to the box itself
Mike

Allocator

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 11:46:09 AM »
Any chance of a screen shot Mike?

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 11:48:59 AM »
I will fire the ANRB up and connect to the network for a coup[le of days, you can see the problem for yourself.  I am at  S41 04.00  /  E145 53.00   NW Tasmania
Mike

radarspotter10

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »

Sent you pm .mike

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 12:10:25 PM »
I have just set the network up will leave it running for a couple of days,  it is almost midnite here so wont be much on for 5 or 6 hours
Any way I can put a label on my QTH which will show on the map
Mike

Allocator

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 12:15:19 PM »
I will fire the ANRB up and connect to the network for a coup[le of days, you can see the problem for yourself.  I am at  S41 04.00  /  E145 53.00   NW Tasmania
Mike

OK, I've marked your home location and will watch on the Network.

And just confirm that you can't see anything inside 68 miles in all directions but you can see aircraft within this area on your SBS-1?

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
correct

Allocator

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2009, 01:19:10 PM »
Of course, it will be impossible to know if Network traffic showing within 68 miles of your location is being picked up by you or by somebody else.

Do you get much traffic from the south of you?

If you posted a screen shot of your non-network traffic when you see any, then that would help.

Can you see the traffic going east-west over Victoria?  There has been a steady flow and I wonder if this is your traffic being fed to the Network.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 01:22:17 PM by Allocator »

Mike_Tassy

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2009, 10:03:57 AM »
Hi I have had my network going today and I also have a plot from planeplotter with a few hours worth.  The red circle is where I cannot receive any plots, although the aircraft remain in the list of mode-s and are continually updated, then reappear on the map when going out the opposite direction.   My receive range is good, I can get up to the nsw / vic border most times.
Mike

Fenris

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 10:57:35 PM »
Wasn't there someone in NZ who had a problem like this with a rectangular area near his location?

The fact that both of you are in a similar area of the world makes me wonder if it's some kind of maths error in calculating where the aircraft are displayed.

Do the targets show as having a position? If so, what happens when you double click one of the My Flights entries that isn't showing on the map? I wonder if the map suddenly jumps off elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 12:10:14 AM by Fenris »

Allocator

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2009, 11:39:11 PM »
That's the best idea so far Brian, and seeing the screen shot from Mike certainly shows the problem he has.  Thanks Mike, a picture being worth a 1,000 words and all that.

Mike, are you seeing the 'globe' marker next to these flights when they are in your 'dark area'?