AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox faulty? low "my flights" count  (Read 41904 times)

palmar

Re: Radarbox faulty? low "my flights" count
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 08:29:41 PM »
Funnily enough, yesterday I had one of my highest aircraft counts, over 500.  I normally average 200-300.  Maybe all the aircraft are flying north for the winter!!

Tarbat, you should check the daily NAT tracks.
http://jetvision.de/nattracks.shtml (Firefox required)
Traffic over Scotland is heavy when the jetstream blows straight from the west towards you. Then westbound flights choose to circumnav over Iceland and eastbound flights follow the wind.
Most of the flights to the US East Coast go with the tracks. West coast goes across Scotland anyhow.

neroon79

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 08:30:55 PM »
More or less business as usual over here in Germany...

Greetings from northern Germany, Ingo
11.75nm ESE of EDDV

SW: ANRB v5.00.072/6.01.001 on WIN10 64Bit Pro&Home
HW:
Ant.: DPD Productions ADS-B Vertical Outdoor Base Antenna
AMP: Kuhne electr. KU LNA 1090 A TM
Cable: 25m of ECOFLEX 15+
NB: Asus P53E 24/7 op.
PC: 28"4K + 24" Monitor
AirSpy mini @RPi3

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 08:35:23 PM »
Just as a FYI we did reply to the customer who started the topic.

Usually front end failures of the RB means that the RB is almost deaf so a 50% drop would mean a failure of those components are not likely. Anyhow we have asked him to check all other details again (antenna, connections) if that doesn't help he will send it back to us and we will run some checks and replace it if needed.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

knight01

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »
I tried the suggestions and didn't see any improvement.  I sent my Radarbox back to W&S about a week ago (01 Dec.).  What is the turn around time?  How long does it normally take?

TIA 

bratters

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
We seem to have got a pair of parallel threads here, both indicating the same problem or at least describing very similar symptoms.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3913.0

Strange...........

flanker

• My Airband Listening Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Well I have enjoyed unusually good reception on my RB today, in fact, the best reception since I purchased it several weeks ago so maybe 'atmospherics' does play a part in reception quality? (high pressure today??)
14NM SSE of EGNX

bratters

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
High pressure building - just wish I had a box to enjoy it!

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
Hi Bratters, sent mine back to W&S Mon 30/11, delivered Tues 01/12 (Royal Mail Special Delivery - old Registered), returned to me yesterday Tues 08/12.    Engineers comments "front end saw filter replaced tested all working ok", ran it up tonight, works, but doesn't seem as sensitive as it was before it died.   Mine is a few below 10150 Serial No. (Nov. '08) which I thought were supposed to be bullet-proof..................?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

bratters

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2009, 09:16:22 PM »
Hi Jon - I've had front end saw filter problem in the past but this is somewhat different. Numbers and distance don't drop to a bare minimum as with saw problem but go down to about 50% of normal - much as  others have described. 

Strange that this new (new to me anyway) problem should suddenly arise. Someone suggested software but wouldn't have thought that was possible.

My box No 104xx - which means nothing to me - and currently with W&S. I wait impatiently!

Would it be helpful if W&S contributed the occasional wise and reassuring word on the forum?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:15 PM »
Have a read of:

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2759.0

W&S are usually quick, usually a turn around within a few days to a week. Though this does depend on parts being ready and any bank holidays.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2009, 10:15:14 PM »
AirNav Support,

Thanks for that.

Although W&S were very quick with the turn around, I noticed a slight rattle from the RB, so took the liberty of removing the 4 front screws and removed face plate and the pcb to make sure nothing was loose or floating around to cause damage.   

I have to say that I'm not at all impressed with the quality and appearance of the repair.   Very messy soldering and melted flux left on the pcb - rather amateurish, and surely with smd components, W&S should have the technical facilities to replace components as the original equipment.   The rattle was the lid of the screen can, which has been badly deformed (during its removal and replacement of the failed components I assume) and the lid is so loose it moves and rattles.   There is now a resistor soldered across the antenna input socket, I assume, to form a leak/route to ground, but is this causing the apparent loss of sensitivity?   I will take some photos and post here, if that is of assistance.    Should the paper label on the pcb match the Serial No.?, just wondering if some-else's board has been stuck in my Box?
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

knight01

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2009, 11:24:08 PM »
I asked for a replacement unit when I sent it,  as I've only had it since August 09.  But I don't mind if it gets repaired, I just hope it doesn't come back in that condition or worse.  If it does, I won't be very happy paying for RM Special delivery to send it back again.

GlynH

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:42:30 AM »
All this talk of RadarBoxes getting 'replaced' is IMHO a bit of a red herring.

W&S in my experience rarely replace the box but usually prefer to repair it.

As mine was only two weeks old when it failed initially I would not accept having it repaired as I felt it should be replaced.

I even took in a copy of the email from AirNav where they stated it would be replaced but that was not good enough for W&S who still wanted to repair it.

It took all of my powers of persuasion, the threat of asking for a refund and the Floor Manager disappearing out back or upstairs to talk to 'God' before they reluctantly agreed to replace it.

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=2793.msg24700#msg24700

Since then I have had a further 'repair' but to be honest I never opened the box to take a look...maybe I should have done as these are the same clowns that fitted a PL259 to one end of the Westflex 103 cable I bought at the outset after all...

Would be interested in seeing a picture of your repair Jon?

I would hazard a guess and deduce from the amount of boxes having suffered this problem and the quick turn-around time for repairs that W&S have a stash of 'pre-repaired' boards ready to go - it would not make much economic sense if they didn't IMHO.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »
Not complaining here just asking a question as I still think the RB is the best thing to happen to my hobby. I still think I am seeing a reduction in numbers of aircraft recorded by my box.I have attached a former pre 3.13beta polar diagram and one running since 3.12.09 when 3.13beta was released.. I run my box 24/7 so the new diiagram has had a reasonable chance to build.

I am off work this weekend and jusrt checked now,  since midnight I have recorded 305 aircraft. Certainly before this I would be at leat a 100 aircraft more than this. At the end of a day OK I accept weather conditions etc might be the cause different routes etc etc but it does seem that others have noted a difference?

Is it releated to fixing the "spikes", was or is it even possible, that to stop the spikes some level of sensitivity has been changed?

Anyhow I have reset the polar diagram now to see what it is like under 2010 3.13 .

John

PS keeping  a watch now for Airforce 1 etc.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:58:55 AM by Canonjohns40D »
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.

bratters

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
My box now back from W&S who as before were both efficient and effective.

I would of course be happier if the box were somewhat more reliable I but certainly can't complain about the after-sales service. I'm sure Airnav are pushing hard for even better build quality and stability.

Certainly the brilliant v3.13 software is worthy of the best box you can get.