anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More live aircraft without network  (Read 31610 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: More live aircraft without network
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 12:16:07 PM »
Tom, I can see the video fine.  Select Full Screen mode and then HD and it's all crystal clear.  You are right, it's only a short clip, but how else would you like to see this demonstrated?  The traffic I see in MyFlights can vary dramatically from day to day - to the point where I've checked to see if my antenna is still connected to RB, and looked out of the window to see if it's still on the end of its pole!

Have another look and see what you think.  I don't think that there is any intent to call you a liar - take it easy man :-)

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
Allocator,

Even in HD the clip is too short to prove anything. My polar diagram has grown over many days.

Anyway, I've had enough of this. I shall comment no further. I'm off back to tracking non-positional aircraft on another "World Wide" tracking network which even allows one to record non-positional network flights and records squawk details in reports, something which AirNav seem to find impossible to do.

Ciao,

Tom

Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 12:42:38 PM »
Enjoy PlanePlotter.  Give Bev my regards, I worked very closely with him testing PP for the SBS-1 and RB a while ago.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 01:21:15 PM »
We haven't called you a liar either Viking9. Your initial post suggested that you were receiving double the amount of the messages after the network has been switched off.

That is a massive difference and its definitely not something we have seen or beta users have seen. If there wasn't any axe to grind your last post doesn't seem to match up to that.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »
My polar diagram has grown over many days.

Isn't it just as likely that reception conditions have improved, or just more aircraft are flying over your area?

I have days where I only see <10 aircraft locally, and others when there's >40 on the list.

I've never seen any examples of network aircraft "interfering" in some way with hardware aircraft.  Of course, a lot can depend on your timeout settings!!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:10:40 PM by tarbat »

Runway 31

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
This is getting all rather silly, why all the throwing the toys out the pram.  You would think you would be rather happy at getting more aircraft on your box, whats the problem.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »
This is getting all rather silly, why all the throwing the toys out the pram.  You would think you would be rather happy at getting more aircraft on your box, whats the problem.

Thank you for your equally unhelpful input. Once again I would recommend you and  others read my posts. Did I say I was unhappy with the increased number of flights? I think not.
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2009, 04:23:47 PM »

Isn't it just as likely that reception conditions have improved, or just more aircraft are flying over your area?

I have days where I only see <10 aircraft locally, and others when there's >40 on the list.

I've never seen any examples of network aircraft "interfering" in some way with hardware aircraft.  Of course, a lot can depend on your timeout settings!!

Tarbat,

You should know by now that I'm pretty savvy and have tried various time-out settings etc. There is no point in comparing your location with mine. If I had less than 500 live flights a day detected I would be sending my box back for investigation. On an average day I pick up more than 30 USAF live flights alone. So - no comparison.

Anyway - I'm getting tired of this thread as I've had little constructive contribution - so I'll stop contributing to it now and just bask in my good luck.

Tom
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
Pat, thanks for that. I've been trying to find previous posts about that but the search engine is not bringing them up.

Tom

I would support Tom in his comments.  He has made a reasonable observation and AirNav have dismissed his observation, effectively using a software developers reply, I first heard about 20years ago.  "That's never been reported before."

As a radio ham for 40 years, I would accept that weather conditions can play a big part, but when that's used in the sentence that starts, "as he can't now compare".  That does not appear to be a reasonable response.

As a 'new boy' here, I have been trying to accept that AirNav postings are knowledge driven, but when I see:-

Quote from: AirNav Team, AirNav Systems, Jr. Member
Two short video clips added to the AirNav Team YouTube Channel to show the affect of deselecting Network processing - no affect at all!

Yes it is ...

a pathetically  unscientific piece of "evidence".

Perhaps this junior team member needs some advice from more experienced members of his team.

Most of us who post here, do it to IMPROVE the product, not only for ourselves but for AirNav and it's future customers.

Reg.

AirNav Team

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2009, 05:36:27 PM »
Low in forum post count numbers maybe, but certainly not 'junior' ;-)

Thank you for your comments Reg, however,  I'm certainly not prepared to enter into an argument here - just stating facts. I've only been a Radio Amateur for 27 years myself, so I bow to your superior experience :-)

AirNav Team - ready to help all RB users, even on a Sunday evening!

Deadcalm

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2009, 05:43:13 PM »
Airnav Team Jr member - if you are the new "mouthpiece" for the Airnav team, I must say I approve of your obvious command of grammar and spelling - a refreshing change from that of your erstwhile colleagues.  Perhaps with more reasoned, carefully worded responses to posts made by the users of your products, there may be a little less heat in this forum all round.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

landyman

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 06:00:42 PM »

Since my network subscription ended .... my polar diagram has grown considerably.

I started to type my last posting and then left my keyboard when I was needed elsewhere.  After sending I read the other posts.

No one has (unless I missed it) commented on the polar diagram, which possibly is a better indicator of what has occurred.

With the strong winds this weekend, the trees have lost many leaves.  So it is possible that this has increased the range of signals received.  So has anyone else seen an increase in their polar diagram?

But I have compared my own polar diagrams.

On this PC I've got out of the box 2.01 and it causes too much slowing down to be able to reasonably use other programs (not other programs slowing down RB as posted by another), so I've now stopped using it.  This means that it's old polar diagram is still visible on screen.

On my older PC, I installed 3.06, but only used it for a short time as I experienced no improvements over 2.01.  But I'm now back to using it as a RB only PC.  This means that it's current polar diagram is also visible on it's screen.

There is no significant difference between the two, side by side.  Suggesting that weather conditions are not a significant factor.

I am also possibly the closest RB user to Tom, (although I have never met him) and therefore it's reasonable that my polar diagram should also have increased range, even if only slightly.  It has not.  My RB is always networked, but when during the week traffic levels increase, I will conduct some tests.

Reg.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2009, 06:15:51 PM »
I wasn't going to mention it but as the subject came up - I too was a licensed radio amateur for more than 30 years. Callsigns; G4GYC, EI9DI and  5B4DT. When in Cyprus with the UN in 1996 to 1998 I took a modest part in 2m transequatorial propogation experiments with Ray Cracknell in South Africa and Roland Whiting in Cyprus. I worked over 130 countries on HF with just a G5RV, so I do know a little about wx and RF propogation.

BTW, the past few days have seen poorer than usual comms in the aircraft vhf/uhf bands at my location whilst my polar diagram has continued to expand.
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN

landyman

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2009, 06:26:44 PM »
Low in forum post count numbers maybe, but certainly not 'junior' ;-)

Thank you for your comments Reg, however,  I'm certainly not prepared to enter into an argument here - just stating facts. I've only been a Radio Amateur for 27 years myself, so I bow to your superior experience :-)

AirNav Team - ready to help all RB users, even on a Sunday evening!

With 5 stars, I took "Jr. Member" as being attached to and part of the line above.  So it's good to have an experienced team member working on a Sunday.

Science is a series of observations that lead to a better understanding, which become facts.

I would guess that your ham radio experience maybe similar to mine.  I mentioned my ham radio years as a citation.  Too many folk make postings saying what they think rather than what they know.  Not just here but generally.

So I'll add a SIG taken from elsewhere.

Reg.

A word of advice to those trying to rationally debate with those who "believe" as opposed to know: don't. It's been tried many times before, and those caught within an ideology will twist and turn any fact not compatible with their belief. -  Carlos
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:29:05 PM by landyman »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2009, 06:33:35 PM »
And of course it's good to remember the old adage:

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Tom
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN