anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More live aircraft without network  (Read 31619 times)

radarspotter10

Re: More live aircraft without network
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2009, 11:43:24 AM »
Hi Pat.

Yes, RB  runs just fine on my low spec machine.

I might buy a better, faster laptop one day. Hey, I might even upgrade to Windows 7 ??? Hmmm... then again, I doubt it!  :)
hi paul
My laptop was Vista now back to windows xp.
no way would i use vista.
from pat

MrT

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
Hi Pat,

My motto is; 'If it aint broke, don't fix it'.

I have been using XP for years now with no problems.

I see all these people having major issues with Vista (and now Windows 7) just so they can have a 'prettier', sexier looking interface. That's what it boils down to in my opinion. All piss n' wind.

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2009, 12:27:49 PM »
Same here i have two laptops one small specs and the other i got new about 3 weeks ago and my home computer, my airnav works great on them all,  but i notice on this thread their one individual who is hell is bend on taking our airnav box down into the gutter, give us a break.
from pat getting fed up with his antics.

Pat, are you referring to me? If so you are missing the point. I am very pleased with my RB, if I were not I would have ditched it long ago. In fact I actively promote AirNav by having their logo and a continuous radar map display on my website and by giving presentations on ADS-B and the RB to organisations such as the Royal Air Force Association,  U3A, Air Cadets and others. I'm currently arranging to show it to an Army Air Corps TA unit. So, anti-RB I am not!

The fact that I'm seeing more live flights without the network is good news for me as I am more interested in mode-s military flights than full ADS-B aluminium tubes carrying civilian pax. I merely offered the information as a discussion point and because a similar phenomenon was reported by a number of users in the past i.e. flights not crossing from the network to MyFlights when they came within range of the users antenna. Sadly I've not been able to find the relevant topics using the search engine on this forum but I'm sure someone at AirNAv must remember them.

As for your pain at reading my posts Pat, there's a simple solution; don't read them if you find them painful. I'm also from Ireland Pat - from Dublin. But I left in the mid '50s. Since then I spent over 33 years in aviation, as aircrew and as an aircraft engineer. I then spent some 23 years in IT. So I feel qualified enough to discuss the RB here without some 'cultie' getting uptight about it.

Slainte,

Tom
Tom
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk UK
15 miles SE of EGUN
32 miles SE of MAM > DIKAS track
http://www.viking9.co.uk

radarspotter10

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
Same here i have two laptops one small specs and the other i got new about 3 weeks ago and my home computer, my airnav works great on them all,  but i notice on this thread their one individual who is hell is bend on taking our airnav box down into the gutter, give us a break.
from pat getting fed up with his antics.

Pat, are you referring to me? If so you are missing the point. I am very pleased with my RB, if I were not I would have ditched it long ago. In fact I actively promote AirNav by having their logo and a continuous radar map display on my website and by giving presentations on ADS-B and the RB to organisations such as the Royal Air Force Association,  U3A, Air Cadets and others. I'm currently arranging to show it to an Army Air Corps TA unit. So, anti-RB I am not!

The fact that I'm seeing more live flights without the network is good news for me as I am more interested in mode-s military flights than full ADS-B aluminium tubes carrying civilian pax. I merely offered the information as a discussion point and because a similar phenomenon was reported by a number of users in the past i.e. flights not crossing from the network to MyFlights when they came within range of the users antenna. Sadly I've not been able to find the relevant topics using the search engine on this forum but I'm sure someone at AirNAv must remember them.

As for your pain at reading my posts Pat, there's a simple solution; don't read them if you find them painful. I'm also from Ireland Pat - from Dublin. But I left in the mid '50s. Since then I spent over 33 years in aviation, as aircrew and as an aircraft engineer. I then spent some 23 years in IT. So I feel qualified enough to discuss the RB here without some 'cultie' getting uptight about it.

Slainte,

Tom
hi  TOM
But Tom not you, you jump to soon kid. was referring to anmer antics
sorry about that.
from pat
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 03:04:31 PM by radarspotter10 »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Pat,

My apologies.

Tom
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN

radarspotter10

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »
Pat,

My apologies.

Tom
TOM.
Its me that has to apologies sorry
from pat

MikeC

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2009, 11:20:49 PM »
hi  TOM
But Tom not you, you jump to soon kid. was referring to anmer antics
sorry about that.
from pat

And pray Pat, what antics are those?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2009, 11:39:05 PM »
Regarding MikeC earlier post.

RadarBox can happily run on low end machines without out the network. We have a machines in London which are only P4 2Ghz which is 5 years + old and it can happily pick up 200 miles around London Traffic with any issue.

You have mentioned sharing, sharing does not affect the cpu cycles, it is only 2% of the process that RB requires. Anyone spreading such information that this is causing an issue is totally wrong and a myth. We will come down harshly on those who continue to suggest this as we suspect its being done to cause damage to RadarBox.

Turning on the network, means every 20/30 seconds, the software now has to process 800+ extra flights very quickly. Of course this put pressure on any system.

RadarBox software is different to other software in terms of it depends on various conditions, such as the amount of traffic your receiving, what options you have turned, your database size etc..

RadarBox has been run on very low end machines (500mhz less) used just for data purposes and its works very well.

Going back to the point of this thread we have over 3000 customers now and most have used the network. If there was such a serious issue it would have caught by now and mentioned a lot but the reality is that isn't the case.

In Viking9 case, we can only point at whether other software was running in the background causing RB to slow down or whether its just different weather has improved reception lately since his network expired. We have done extensive tests indoor and our beta team and we never found the network having any degradation of local flights being picked up.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

MikeC

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 10:07:16 AM »
Thanks AirNav.

As I read the response, shared (network) flights should not take precedence over local flights in normal circumstances.  If they do, it is put down to either a low spec PC or one under strain running other applications?

Clearly Tom (Viking9) can't test this as he no longer has access to network flights.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
I got curious about this thread, so I've just done a very unscientific 'finger in the air' type of test by switching off the Network processing and watching the numbers.  This test was only over about 3 minutes, most of which was with the Network switched off and with the figures written down every now and then.

MyFlights/Network

34/976 - fairly constant this Sunday morning
33/0 - Network processing switched off
30/0
30/0
30/0
28/0
28/0
32/863 - Network processing switched on again
32/887
33/916
31/937

This reflects what I've seen in the past regarding MyFlights v Network loading.  As I said, only a very brief test, but interesting none the less.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
MikeC,

As we have said, we never seen a case of that happening so we cannot say why it happened.

In Vikings9 case as he can't now compare we put it down change in weather conditions etc.. nothing to do with the software. We have seen nothing to indicate from our tests and beta users tests to indicate a software issue.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:04:50 AM by AirNav Support »
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

AirNav Team

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
Two short video clips added to the AirNav Team YouTube Channel to show the affect of deselecting Network processing - no affect at all!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AirNavTeam

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »
[/quote]
Two short video clips added to the AirNav Team YouTube Channel to show the affect of deselecting Network processing - no affect at all!

Aw c'mon you guys. Have you been at the funny fags? That blurry amateur video proves nothing of the sort. One cannot distinguish live from network aircraft in that clip and even if one could it would prove absolutely nothing. What a pathetically  unscientific piece of "evidence".

I have no axe to grind except that I do not like to be called a liar. Since my network subscription ended, the number of live aircraft seen has dramatically increased, the average number of messages/sec has dramatically increased and my polar diagram has grown considerably.

Got it?

And for Allocator - could you please point me to where in my posts on this subject I mentioned "Network loading". I have not suggested any link to network loading - rather I have suggested a link to a similar phenomenon that was reported by a number of others -the fact that when aircraft are shown on the network they are not shown in Myflights when they pass into range of the local antenna.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:13:36 PM by viking9 »
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN

radarspotter10

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »

Aw c'mon you guys. Have you been at the funny fags? That blurry amateur video proves nothing of the sort. One cannot distinguish live from network aircraft in that clip and even if one could it would prove absolutely nothing. What a pathetically  unscientific piece of "evidence".

I have no axe to grind except that I do not like to be called a liar. Since my network subscription ended, the number of live aircraft seen has dramatically increased, the average number of messages/sec has dramatically increased and my polar diagram has grown considerably.

Got it?
[/quote]
hi viking9.
This topic is on going for a long time, its something i accept,  i have known about it one week after i got my airnav box,  if you remember viking9 at the start of year airnav had big problems with the network being down, everybody notice that when the network was of,  flights where slightly up  and posted comments about it at the time.
all the best pat
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 12:12:19 PM by radarspotter10 »

viking9

• Aircraft Photography
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
Pat, thanks for that. I've been trying to find previous posts about that but the search engine is not bringing them up.

Tom
Tom
15 miles SE of EGUN