anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is the range of Radarbox and how many aircraft have ADS-B  (Read 2001 times)

Malteser

What is the range of Radarbox and how many aircraft have ADS-B
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Hi,

I'm considering buying radarbox, but i have a few questions id like to ask first. First of all, although i live very close to the airport here in malta, i live in a shallow valley, will this effect the range of my radar box?

Secondly, i'd like to know how widely used this ADS-B system is utilised by aicraft? I.e. will i get most air traffic or 25% or what?

Thanks in advance.

Fenris

Re: What is the range of Radarbox and how many aircraft have ADS-B
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »
1090MHz propagation is pretty much line of sight for practical purposes, the maximum range is limited by the radio horizon. If you have high ground close enough to screen targets below a certain angle above the horizon then it will limit your maximum range. This effect can be minimised by siting your antenna as high above the ground as possible, but doing so adds to cable losses so you need to balance height against range gain.

In Europe ADS-B is very common for commercial aircraft, although some like Embraer and DH Canada aircraft don't transmit their position, so you will find the majority of aircraft do plot on the map.

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: What is the range of Radarbox and how many aircraft have ADS-B
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
Hi Malteser

We already have at least one RadarBox user in Malta whose aircraft we see on the network quite often - he is in range of the airport, so we can see the planes on the ground there.

Air Malta's aircraft are equipped with ADS-B and show their position on the map, and I reckon most of the other airliners will show up too.

You get lots of lighter aircraft at Luqa, and most of these won't show up on the map, but many of them will show up on the grid, with their details except for position.

Hope that helps.

Rod
Rod