AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First impressions and question on RAM  (Read 4232 times)

EINN-07

First impressions and question on RAM
« on: December 24, 2007, 09:33:54 PM »
Hi all,

Four days into my RB and these are my experiences.
I loaded the software onto my desktop which is a 4 year old Dell with 256mB RAM. I checked the task manager and found that the RAM consumption was around 100mB but after day two and leaving the box running for about 16 to 18 hrs per day the hard drive was spinning away. I checked the task manager again and found that the RAM used was spiking between 15% and 100% like a heart trace. Looked to me like the PC was going to have cardiac arrest so I decided to transfer everything to my 1 year old Dell Inspiron laptop which has just over 1Gb of RAM. Everything ran ok for the next two days, again at 16 to 18 hrs per day until, until, guess what, the RB began to attack the RAM again but this time it's only spiking to 50%.
I've shut down the laptop and restarted but it doesn't make any difference.
At the moment it's 9.30 on Christmas Eve and there isn't one single flight on screen but the laptop is writing away to the hard drive like there's no tomorrow.  The Airnav Radar sweep at the top right of the screen manages two revolutions between pauses
 OK, I've read through the forum and found the application is memory hungry and V1.4 will consume 50% less memory, but has anyone a cure for this ?

On a completely different subject I read with interest the mails on antennae. I'm a complete beginner in this area and didn't realise the significance of the base plate for the supplied antena. I thought it was to stop the aerial falling over ! and had the antena sitting to one side. What a difference it made when I put the antena in the centre of the base plate ! Just a pity it can't remove the hill behind my house !! At the moment I have 75 nm North and South with approx 50 Nm West and around 10 NM East and South East. I'll post a screen shot later.

All the best and Happy Christmas from Ennis, Ireland

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: First impressions and question on RAM
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »
Hi EINN-07,

Firstly your screenshot is great, we didn't have  much coverage there before so you will be great for the network to get a heads up on those Atlantic flights.

There is a memory issue as you say which is corrected in 1.4 (in testing phase at the moment) However on some computers it is more prominent than others even if you have low/high amount of ram. Try turning off the network function if you are not viewing RadarBox and see whether that make things better. Also are there any other apps running as well at the same time?
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

EINN-07

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 12:47:46 AM »
Hi Support,
Happy Christmas. I have tried to minimise to the max !.I have killed off everything I possibly can on the taskbar and only have the box running.  I don't use the network function as my primary interest is overflights in my airspace. Happy you enjoyed the screenshot. I'll certainly post more once traffic picks up after the break.

All the best
Gerry
Ennis
IRL

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:54:14 AM »
Ok, couple of temporary things to try before 1.4 is released:

1.) Go into Preferences -> RadarBox and the Screen refresh rate and changed the number to a larger value.

2.) Reduce the timeouts as well in case its set to high number.

3.) Lastly turn off the download picture function

Anyhow 1.4 should be ready soon so this is a temp fix.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]