anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: co-ax  (Read 9127 times)

CoastGuardJon

• Mullion Cove, Kernow --- sw Cornwall UK.
Re: co-ax
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
Hi Gleff, see what your reception's like with what you've already ordered.   If by siting the antenna 20+ feet higher (roughly the height of a standard scaffold pole), you get drastically improved traffic, but the signal is attenuated by the length of co-ax, then a mast-head 1090 pre-amp could come into its own, by boosting the wanted signal at the antenna and overcoming the losses introduced by the co-ax.    Using a pre-amp at the RB end of the feeder is (IMO) a total waste of time, money and effort.    Every connector inserted into the feeder introduces its own losses and noise, a pre-amp does the same.    There is a pre-amp around JIM M75, but (IMO) this is too wide a band range for 1090, but very good for scanners.

For 1090, use either the Elad as suggested by Stuart above, or the Kuhne 1090

http://www.kuhne-electronic.de/en/shop/143_Vorverstaerker/article:342_KU_LNA_1090_A_TM

Youa can always add these later, wait for your new gear, see how you get on!
ANRB :  AOR AR8000 : Icom R-7000 : Icom IC-R9000 : JRC NRD-545 : OptoElectronics Digital Scout and OptoLinx Interface; Realistic Pro-2005 : UBC 800XLT - listed in alphabetical order, not cost, preference, performance or entertainment value!

gleff

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:19 AM »
Update:  I received the antenna and cable today..  Wow.. what a difference it's made.  Not only are aircraft NOT timing out nearly as often as before, but I'm picking up 2-3 times more aircraft, and at a distance of around 190 nautical miles at high altitude, and for the first time, i'm seeing aircraft on the 'ground'.

To say I'm pleased with the antenna is an understatement.  It's like comparing night and day.  The best part is, the aircraft aren't disappearing after 30 seconds like before.
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
Hi Gleff - glad that you're getting this better performance. So most of your reception is coming through reflections - including from the ground?

I hope you're sharing on the network - will check out Sydney later.

Rod
Rod