anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radarbox users in the Washington DC/Baltimore area  (Read 2391 times)

bagpiper

Radarbox users in the Washington DC/Baltimore area
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:44:28 PM »
Hello there,

We're evaluating the purchase of a Radarbox for our project. We're using a radar ourselves but without knowing who is actually is out there it seems that Radarbox is what we need.

Anybody out there using Radarbox in the Washington DC area? I'm particularly interested in learning the experience you had with it and how much traffic from BWI is actually available.

Cheers,

Marty

RodBearden

• Rod's RadarBox Downloads
Re: Radarbox users in the Washington DC/Baltimore area
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Hi Marty - welcome to the forum!

Until somebody in your area responds, I can tell you that our coverage of the north-eastern seaboard is pretty good at high levels, but not brilliant at low level or at ground level at airports. Only recently I've been watching some ground movements at KIAD, and we quite often get good detail at KEWR.

Have you looked at the user locations map here: http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php ?  It's not entirely accurate, but gives a fairly good picture of the live RadarBoxes.

Hope that helps

Rod
Rod

RodBearden

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:46 PM »
Here's a screenshot I just took.

Rod
Rod

bagpiper

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Thanks Rod,

Great. I tried looking at live Radarbox information from users but somehow I wasn't able to see it, perhaps there's a different link for it?

We used data from Flytecomm about 6-8 months ago and we'd like to know how that data
is different from what we can get with the Radarbox. We were not impressed with Flytecomm data which is suppossed to be coming directly from FAA.

http://www.flytecomm.com/products/flytesrc.html

Ideally we would like to know if it would be possible to get a 1 day sample data to see how the Radarbox performs. What do you think?

Additionally is it possible to determine the size of the plane with the information coming from the Radarbox? We're looking to detect smaller airplanes rather than large ones.

Cheers,

Marty
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:24:37 PM by bagpiper »

RodBearden

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
You might want to consider AirNav Live Flight Tracker for what you need. http://www.airnavsystems.com/Tracker/

Or contact AirNav support themselves - they have standard packages and custom solutions that might be just what you need: http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html or [email protected]

RadarBox can only show position of aircraft equipped with ADS-B, so it's generally limited to airliners doing international flights, airlines flying recent Boeing and Airbus models, and larger bizjets. Embraer and Canadair regional jets and turboprops aren't normally fitted with ADS-B, but ADS-B is due to be adopted widely in the USA over the next few years. I'm sure that light aircraft will be the last to widely adopt ADS-B but there are some, including hot air balloons and gliders, that have got it fitted!

As to seeing a log from RadarBox, the system only logs aircraft picked up by the RadarBox aerial locally, so you will need someone local to you to provide one. I'm sure someone from your area will pop up on this thread soon to offer you one!

Oh - and you may find the info on my website useful as well - see the weblink on the left of my messages.

Rod
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:04:15 PM by RodBearden »
Rod