AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft in alert panel but not the list (V-2.01)  (Read 4681 times)

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
Aircraft in alert panel but not the list (V-2.01)
« on: October 28, 2009, 05:56:02 PM »
I've just had an alert for 43C26D, ZJ216 at an altitude of 00300 appear.

But it's not in the list.  I then hear a heli fly overhead, but it's dark so can't see what it is.  Airframes.org has it as an Apache and it sounded like one.

So the aircraft did not 'alert' and the go out of range before it could appear in the list.  Why did it not get listed?

Similar events have occurred before.

So I then (while typing this) look in MyLog and I get another alert, this time from ZJ178.  Back to the main screen and that is also not listed and again I hear it pass while looking.

Back in My Log and both are there and with a current 'LastTime'.

Any suggestions?

Reg.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Aircraft in alert panel but not the list (V-2.01)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:17:32 PM »
Have you got any 'Quick Filter' values set, or have you clicked the ADS-B Only button?

Click the 'Show All' button to make sure that you have all aircraft showing in MyFlights.  You were looking in MyFlights and not Network?

I sort by Mode S code so that all my military aircraft show together.  Did Mode S code 43C26D appear in the list without any aircraft details such as registration/type maybe?

landyman

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:58:53 PM »
Have you got any 'Quick Filter' values set, or have you clicked the ADS-B Only button?

Click the 'Show All' button to make sure that you have all aircraft showing in MyFlights.  You were looking in MyFlights and not Network?

I sort by Mode S code so that all my military aircraft show together.  Did Mode S code 43C26D appear in the list without any aircraft details such as registration/type maybe?

After the program loads, I always type into the filter Mode S > 43C* and then click twice on the list heading of Mode S.  (It would be better if this could be retained between sessions.)

Then using the sideways arrows, I can click on top or bottom.  Then all UK Mil. appear at the top and all US Mil. at the bottom.  I am using MyFlights and not network as Mil. wont generally appear there!  I'm not using 'Show All' as I'm mainly interested in Mil. a/c as not much civilian in my vicinity!

As 43C26D & 43C247 are within numerical display range they should appear, which they normally do.  Other codes higher and lower in value were visible at the time.  As the sorting was on Mode S, it suggests a bug somewhere.

While working in another program; when I get an alert, I click on the alert panel, which places RB in the foreground.  Then click the top or bottom arrow, depending on the Mod S code displayed in the alert panel.  (It would be better if the alert subject a/c automatically became the selected a/c in the list.)

Reg.

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:54 AM »
OK, I've never had this problem.  I also monitor 43C* traffic using JSTARS, so I not only get the RB alert, but I also get the JSTARS alert.  I always check MyFlights and the aircraft is always there in the list - often without details that I then enter manually if I can search them down.

If you have the Quick Filter set to 43C*, how can you see US Mil flights in the list, as they are in the AE0* etc range?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:49:28 AM by Allocator »

landyman

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
If you have the Quick Filter set to 43C*, how can you see US Mil flights in the list, as they are in the AE0* etc range?

AE0* is greater than 43C* - see my original posting.

Allocator

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »
Ahh ... using "greater than" - OK I missed that.  I've never tried the ">" before.  I'll give it a go and see if I have the same problem.  If you use Mode S = 43C* do you still have alerts without seeing the 43C aircraft in the list?

landyman

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
Ahh ... using "greater than" - OK I missed that.  I've never tried the ">" before.  I'll give it a go and see if I have the same problem.  If you use Mode S = 43C* do you still have alerts without seeing the 43C aircraft in the list?

I've never used ' = ' as I want US and UK.  Where I live the US go to the west and the UK go north and south.

Not much flying here today, but while using this computer for other applications, I have to close RB as it slows the computer too much.  I'll have to reinstall XP on a reformatted old PC and use it only for RB.

Reg.

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 03:57:15 PM »
Reg,

I take your point, but to track down the potential problem, you also have to work out what DOES work as well as what doesn't.  If all 43C* aircraft appear when you use '=' then you know that there is definitely a problem using '>'

If you don't see all 43C* with '=' either, then it could just be your installation - probably not, but the test is needed.

landyman

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
Reg,

I take your point, but to track down the potential problem, you also have to work out what DOES work as well as what doesn't.  If all 43C* aircraft appear when you use '=' then you know that there is definitely a problem using '>'

If you don't see all 43C* with '=' either, then it could just be your installation - probably not, but the test is needed.

Makes sense.

However, earlier in that session of RB, I had a number of other 43C* aircraft alert and appear in the list.  These two didn't, so why.

The first went over my head at about 200 feet, based on my hearing and the height in the alert box when a very short distance from me).  Also the approach direction, knowing the terrain.

Previously when I've had an alert and then looked (often a few minutes later) noticed that a/c are missing from the list.  I've always assumed that they had disappeared from my list due to going out of range.

This is now in question.

Reg

Allocator

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
Reg,

As I've NEVER had this issue of not seeing aircraft in the list following an alert and I NEVER use the '>' in the Quick Filters, I think that this is the issue. As I said before, you need to give AirNav a fighting chance to resolve the problem if there is one, by identifying exactly what is causing it.  As I don't recall anybody else reporting this so that in itself probably tells a story.

landyman

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
Allocator, the fact that you have never noticed this occur does not mean that it does not occur.  I also have no interest in using = as > provides what I want.  Changing the mathematical symbol is possibly the cause, but I don't have access to the code as AirNav do.  Although I think it unlikely.

I have succinctly provided details for AirNav's use and at the moment can't add any extra information for them, however I will pay more attention to alerts in the future when possible

As I was writing about the first occurrence when the second occurred, I can be 100% certain that what I saw was written correctly.

Allocator

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 04:40:20 PM »
Well Reg, I can't help you any more if you don't wish to check this further. I have no need to use '>' so we will have to leave it there.  I'm happy that I am seeing EVERY 43C* alert picked up not only by RB but also by JSTARS in the aircraft list.

I'm sure that what you are saying is correct, it's just odd that you are the only person to have reported this.  Anybody out there who can add anything?

EK01

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 12:31:22 PM »
I have numerous alerts in the 'modes' box including 43C* and AE* and they have always alerted (upto now) both with a message and a sound alert. I have never bothered with the '=' or '>' filters. Only thing to remenber is to have each alert on a separate line.