AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: an interesting one...  (Read 3195 times)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
an interesting one...
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:04:36 AM »
I watched on screen an a/c go over the top of my location on the Real-time network. Why was I not receiving it direct? The RB was working on other a/c at the time! Interesting one.. anybody else seen this happen?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Fenris

Re: an interesting one...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
I watched on screen an a/c go over the top of my location on the Real-time network. Why was I not receiving it direct? The RB was working on other a/c at the time! Interesting one.. anybody else seen this happen?

You're sure this was real time network? I've seen a case where after sorting out a hardware disconnection the delayed network traffic appeared locally because the current aircraft were in real time and the network flights showing were 5 minutes old.

But I agree that with RT network that should not happen, but it is possible that you can't hear signals from immediately above. I see some aircraft disappear when within about 10 degrees of vertically above my location.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:20:03 AM »
Definetly RT network. Thats why I noticed it!
I thought about the aerial but the polar diagram would be irrelivent as the signal would be so strong when the a/c was overhead. I also watched it approach and move on for several minutes. Interesting one isn't it!
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Fenris

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:14 AM »
I thought about the aerial but the polar diagram would be irrelivent as the signal would be so strong when the a/c was overhead.

You might think that, but in fact there is very high attenuation between the aircraft and your antenna off the end of the element. The aircraft antenna is also likely to have a similar null and for the antenna on the top of the fuselage then it's shielded from you too.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:05 AM »
In that case I would have seen it before, but I haven't. Oh well. Will keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com