anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 20424 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »
1) How do I enter my home location? I have a GPS fix nearby (not home - but near enough) of N52 23.803 W001 15.979. This is in decimal WGS84 co-ords - whatever that means!

Easiest way is to find your location on the RB map, right click on it, and select "Select as Home Location".

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 07:54:01 PM »
1) How do I enter my home location? I have a GPS fix nearby (not home - but near enough) of N52 23.803 W001 15.979. This is in decimal WGS84 co-ords - whatever that means!

52+(23.8/60) = 52.396666666666666666666666666667

-1+(15.070/60) = 1.2511666666666666666666666666667

So try

52.3966 -1.2511

Note: West is a minus figure, as is South.  North and East are positive

If you use Google Earth, just set the preferences to show decimal degrees and just read it off the screen when you put the cursor over your location :-)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:57:15 PM by Allocator »

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
Function of the "Start Tour" button:

It's a flight tour feature, that scrolls over all tracked flights automatically. You can see it working by watching the (moving) pointer (black triangle on the left of the grid) and the changing corresponding aircraft details shown in the MyFlight list of the interface.

Many thanks Terre.  Another item to add to the F1 help facility!

Now that I've got AirNav running at a reasonable speed, by disabling my Avira antivirus on the 7 data files that are continuously updated, I can now seen the action you describe.

Thanks, Reg.

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 10:08:48 PM »
Oh Wow!

I received my AirNav setup last Wednesday.
2) How does the aircraft 'status' work?

I have seen take off, climb, levelled, cruise, descent, approach, landing.

All self-explanatory - but is there any FL or rate of ascent/descent or landing gear up or down that dictates when this status change takes place?

Chris, I bought mine on Friday.

Unfortunately the 'Status' column is not self-explanatory.  Does it come from the received signal or is it based on the software's interpretation of received data?

I live 16 miles from an airfield and under the flight path.  So aircraft passing overhead are landing.  They are also descending.

I've seen aircraft that are taking-off at 4975 altitude, which I would have thought was climbing.

Also departure at 24,100 altitude.

This suggests to me that it is a setting on the flight deck, which is often wrong.  Anyone really know?

Reg.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 10:14:17 PM »
Its the softwares interpretation. Depending on its current height and what the level of climb or descent is you can determine 99% of what its doing.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

NickJackson

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:42 PM »
Thanks for the info re; my original posting AirNav Support:-

1) Understood thanks

2) The screen is an ACER AL1714 of the visible screen is just over 13" wide and just under 11" deep.  Looking at the Windows Control Panel 'Display' boxes its using NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS  with resolution 1024x768 and 96DPI.  I hope that means something to you!

3) I see that feature now.

4) I'll have to investigate the reporting options further sometime

5) I checked the GAS database and all 61 records with ModeS codes but no registrations are listed on there DB.  How often is the GAS database uploaded to AirNav and distributed to users?   

Thanks

rnsavage

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 06:51:07 AM »

5) I checked the GAS database and all 61 records with ModeS codes but no registrations are listed on there DB.  How often is the GAS database uploaded to AirNav and distributed to users?  

Thanks

If they are in GAS but not your database, this could be because you were offline to the Internet when they were picked up, or added by GAS since they were picked up.

The way of getting them added into your database, go to MyLog, and then Tools and Populate. This should then run the GAS Autopopulate again.

Rick

Pinza

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
Many thanks to all who replied to my queries on correct format for entering home coordinates. Will correct my position when I get home this evening. On Sunday I was seeing 'live' planes on my screen but missing from the blue skies above me in reality - guess I'd entered my co-ords wrongly!!!

Also thanks for confirming that it is the software that determines what is displayed in the status column.

Will have a trawl through this useful forum in the next few days - as I suspect I will find the answers to many of my other questions already answered.

Cheers
Chris

NickJackson

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »
Thanks rnsavage.  I tried MyLog -> Tools -> Populate and 9 new entries were added.   However I still get  lot of gaps.    Today it's been running with the hardware and network on since 7.30am with 546 entries. Of those 93 have ModeS codes but no registration which is too high a failure rate. 

A spot check of these 'missing' regn's reveals Ryanair and Eastjet deleiveries going back to 2008 which are in the GAS db.   e.g.  4CA702 /  EI-EBE doesn't appear.

I had a look at the Database Explorer but could only see how to amend a record, but not add one.  Should I run the Populate/Import in the Databse Explorer?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
Many thanks to all who replied to my queries on correct format for entering home coordinates. Will correct my position when I get home this evening. On Sunday I was seeing 'live' planes on my screen but missing from the blue skies above me in reality - guess I'd entered my co-ords wrongly!!!

AFAIK, RadarBox doesn't rely on your home coordinates being entered correctly when decoding the position of airborne aircraft, so there must be another explanation.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Fenris

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 06:00:14 PM »

AFAIK, RadarBox doesn't rely on your home coordinates being entered correctly when decoding the position of airborne aircraft, so there must be another explanation.

Well if you've entered your position incorrectly and then expect to see an aircraft above you because it shows on the map as being "overhead" then it won't be visible!

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
Well if you've entered your position incorrectly and then expect to see an aircraft above you because it shows on the map as being "overhead" then it won't be visible!

True - if you don't know where you live, then you're stuffed  :-)
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

EK01

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

Also thanks for confirming that it is the software that determines what is displayed in the status column.

Will have a trawl through this useful forum in the next few days - as I suspect I will find the answers to many of my other questions already answered.

Cheers
Chris

Pinza,
You may well see aircraft on the map but not in the blue skies above if you are referring to high level overflights. It will depend on the atmospheric conditions as to whether they are showing trails or not. Quite often, the hligh level aircraft flying overhead Central Sotland will only be showing a trail if they are at FL32 or above. Therefore, if you are seeing high level aircraft on your map and know approximately where they should be use the old bins you may/should be able to spot them.

Ian

EK01

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Thanks rnsavage.  I tried MyLog -> Tools -> Populate and 9 new entries were added.   However I still get  lot of gaps.    Today it's been running with the hardware and network on since 7.30am with 546 entries. Of those 93 have ModeS codes but no registration which is too high a failure rate. 

A spot check of these 'missing' regn's reveals Ryanair and Eastjet deleiveries going back to 2008 which are in the GAS db.   e.g.  4CA702 /  EI-EBE doesn't appear.

I had a look at the Database Explorer but could only see how to amend a record, but not add one.  Should I run the Populate/Import in the Databse Explorer?

Nick,
If a reg is missing in My Flights or the Network, just click on the ModeS code and if it is in the database the reg will appear (usually fairly quickly). It is an easy and quick way of populating any missing regs without hunting through various databases.
Ian

NickJackson

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
I tried that so I assume they're no in the database.   None of the ones I've tried have worked yet but I'll go through them as I see them again.