AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ACARS  (Read 17991 times)

MrT

Re: ACARS
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »
Hi John,

Do you have any interfernce problems when running your scanner whilst RB is also running ?

I think I'd like the option of having ACARS data. I used Wacars & ACARS years ago with some success.

Cheers,

Paul.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »
[If you are using AirNav ACARS Decoder 2.1 in combination with RB then you will see ALL te details of the ACARS-message RB detected behind the ACARS-tab in the RB interface!

This is true, but there is almost no integration of the data, as I said - ALL the data is provided to RB, but it doesn't do anything with most of it.

Yes it displays what it has received in a log format, but that is available directly from the ANAD program anyway. RB is not adding any value to the data.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 08:45:09 AM by pjm »

MrT

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »
Ah, what about the message content though?

That's the real juicy bit.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
Do you have any interfernce problems when running your scanner whilst RB is also running ?

Not 100% sure I understand your question, but no there is no interference with anything else on the computer.

bratters

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 08:58:08 AM »
I have to say that I find the"Acars" feature of RB rather pointless. I have always regarded RB as a giant step forward from Acars decoding and plotting.

Those interested in Acars might as well run the two programs side by side and the space in RB devoted to Acars could be used for some other purpose.

MrT

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:00:53 AM »

Not 100% sure I understand your question, but no there is no interference with anything else on the computer.

I notice when running my scanner near the laptop with RB running, I seem to be getting a bit of radio interference through my scanner.

Just wondering if that could have any bad effects when receiving ACARS

John Racars

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 09:02:57 AM »

Hi Paul,

No, I have not. I am using two separate antenna's. One is connected to the RB and one to the scanner.
Best Regards from the Netherlands, John Racars
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
Version: 3D - 5.00.072
Antenna: outside WiMo GP-1090 (with ECOFLEX 10 cableconnection)
PC: Windows 7 SP 1 - 64 bit
-
RadarBox24 station: EHAM4

MrT

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 09:04:08 AM »
I have to say that I find the"Acars" feature of RB rather pointless. I have always regarded RB as a giant step forward from Acars decoding and plotting.

Those interested in Acars might as well run the two programs side by side and the space in RB devoted to Acars could be used for some other purpose.

I always looked on ACARS as a totally different aspect to a/c monitoring. The content of the message is what can be interesting at times.

Like Johns NOTUG in another thread.

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

I notice when running my scanner near the laptop with RB running, I seem to be getting a bit of radio interference through my scanner.

Just wondering if that could have any bad effects when receiving ACARS

You could quite easily be picking up 'hash' from the laptop via the antenna or by the cable you have connecting your radio and the laptop.  Move the antenna as far away as possible.  Yes, it will affect ACARS decoding.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 09:09:32 AM »

ANAD does a really good job of decoding the data, you can feed all sorts of bad/overloaded signals into it and it still decodes the data. I have my scanner connected to my TV antenna and there is a bit of hum introduced by the masthead amp, but it doesn't faze ANRB.

I guess if the interference was close to the signaling frequencies it might impact it, but I haven't noticed any problems.

The only time I had a problem was when I moved to the ICOM IC-RX7. IT has far too many settings on it and the default AM decoding is with an AF filter turned on - presumably ICOM think only humans are going to listen to AM. Anyway turning the filter off fixed that for me.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »

funny you should say that, that is exactly how I usually have mine set up :)

John Racars

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
ALL the data is provided to RB, but it doesn't do anything with most of it.

OK, I agree with this. But what should RB do with all the various informations in the ACARS-massages? ACARS is a way of communication that hase nothing to do where RB should be used for in my opinion: see on the screen where aircrafts are positioned and follow them as far as possible....

The ACARS facility is integrated in RB to pleasure AirNav ACARS Decoder users to see the ACARS-information / messages in the same software.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

John Racars

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 09:16:40 AM »
and the space in RB devoted to Acars could be used for some other purpose.

A verry selfisch thougt.
13 NM East of EHAM
-
ANRB:
-

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 09:23:06 AM »
But what should RB do with all the various informations in the ACARS-massages?

RB can take a lot of info from ACARS and display  in both the interface pane and radar screen. Especially if the aircraft is not broadcasting ADS-B.

Quite often here I see ACARS messages for planes only sending MODE-S info with

Location info (GPS)
Flight id's
Routes

And probably more that I can't think of now. Also it would be great to have the message detail in a window on the main page - much like the Flight Level panel under the radar screen (but smaller).

There are a lot of things that could be done. Just needs a bit of focus :)

bratters

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »

A verry selfisch thougt.

A verry selfisch thougt.

Not at all.  These are two completely different systems serving twwo different purposes.
No reason why they should be connected.