anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real Time Network - Is It Worth Subscribing Too?  (Read 9579 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Real Time Network - Is It Worth Subscribing Too?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Okay, my timout settings, when using the real-time network, are:
Hardware - 23 / 7
Network - 78 / 2

But so much depends on you local conditions, etc.

Seeing great transitions between local/network over the north atlantic routes at the moment ;)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 12:05:25 PM »
Assuming one is in a good signal area, as an a/c leaves it and times out surely one wants the network to take over a.s.a.p. so 5 secs should be suitable (then plus 20 secs for the network to react). Is the Hide figure counted from when the Mark figure expires? i.e. In your case, no signal from a live contact for 23 secs is marked followed by a further 7 secs before being hiden?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
Assuming one is in a good signal area, as an a/c leaves it and times out surely one wants the network to take over a.s.a.p. so 5 secs should be suitable (then plus 20 secs for the network to react). Is the Hide figure counted from when the Mark figure expires? i.e. In your case, no signal from a live contact for 23 secs is marked followed by a further 7 secs before being hiden?
J.

If you make the Hardware time too short, then there is a risk of hopping backwards and forwards between live and Network.  You want to give the live data processing a chance as even with real world radars, it's quite normal to loose the return for a couple of sweeps of the radar.

As I understand it, the hide figure is counted from the no signal figure.

I'm playing with the setting here, but it doesn't actually seem too critical unless you make the Network timeout figure less that the refresh rate which means that the tracks time out before the next update - makes sense.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »
Just to clarify - the Hide figure starts counting when the Mark number is reached? i.e. if no signal is rxed for 20 secs then the flight disappears after a further 10 secs (settings at 20/10).?
I am watching Heathrow at the mo, all flights under 8000 ft. settings at default for network (35/60) on the real-time network. Every now and then all the network times out. MyFlights direct are OK.
Is this timeout working or the network failing?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
tarbats settings don't work for me, as my Network tracks time out.  I have to use 90 and 10 for the Network settings and then there is enough time to process all the traffic.  tarbat lives in the frozen wastelands near the Arctic Circle (sorry Chris, a joke honest!) where traffic loading is lighter.  I'm sure that the time taken to process the network data must be related to what you are trying to display on the screen.

Try 90 seconds and 10 seconds and see what happens.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:37:11 PM by Allocator »

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
Still losing the network with 90/10 and I am assuming there is plenty of network coverage on Heathrow.
Airnav - can you advise on settings?
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 01:20:07 PM »
Yes, there is plenty of Network coverage around Heathrow.

Did you see any affect at all when you changed the setting?  Have you tried longer settings to see the effect?  Have you tried rebooting your PC to make sure that there isn't anything running in the background?  Have you had any problems with the Network timeouts in the past?

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 01:47:11 PM »
No - not seen much change.
Not yet.
Running on laptop and nothing else running.
Don't know.
What has changed is Real time network. There must be a change in recommended settings to allow for the 20 sec download and then processing time.
I am watching the run in to Heathrow at the moment and a/c are timing out on the realtime network 5-7 nm out. and back in again about 2 nm.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

DazrahT

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »
I paid for the update to access Live Data (non delay version) last night via the PayPal option.  I've had an email come back to say my account is now active.

When I click account information, it still says my account has expired (from when my free time delayed network data ran out last month).  Has anybody else payed with the PayPal option, does it need to be re-activated by AirNav or have I done something my end?
In the middle of EGBE and EGBB

Allocator

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Right, now I understand what you are saying (I think).  My issue with the too short Network time-out is that if I set it for 78 seconds as per tarbat's setting, about 5 seconds before the next 20 second network update, ALL my network tracks time out and the network connection light goes yellow.  Change my timeout setting to 90 seconds and all is OK.

You seem to be talking about something different here.  Do you really mean that you are only watching the real-time network on finals for Heathrow, or do you mean that the tracks are going from live (antenna) to network and you are loosing them for 3 miles each time?

I'm watching Heathrow now using real-time network only, and I can see the aircraft all the way to the ground and in fact on the ground too.

If you clarify, we'll try and help.

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
It has been activated. Make sure you login with the codes given to you on the CD not through your email. If you can't remember them email us.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DazrahT

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 02:09:57 PM »
Right, I'll email you now then, do you need any information from me?

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
We have pmed you :)
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

DazrahT

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 02:19:38 PM »
Yep, got your PM and it works now, many thanks.

EK01

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »
Sorry guys,
Still don't get the point of real time network. For the last 40 years, I have been a planespotter, initially trudging along to my local airport with binoculars, notebook and sandwiches (no anorak!) in order to log aircraft 'personally' seen. The big change for me with the RB (a superb product) is that I no longer have to go to the airport but can log aircraft I have 'personally' seen flying/overflying my local area. With a live network you can track aircraft hundreds/thousands of miles away but, for me, these can't be classed as sightings as obviously you haven't personally seen them. A 5 minute delay network for me is fine as it can provide a good source of reference.
I only need to visit my local airport now if something good has appeared on the RB and a close up picture may be worthwhile.
I stress, of course, that this is just my personal planespotter view.
Ian