anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Real Time Network - Is It Worth Subscribing Too?  (Read 9578 times)

Johnn

• Y'ello
Real Time Network - Is It Worth Subscribing Too?
« on: October 02, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Hi There,
I am just curious to get other peoples opinions on the real time network feature that has been recently released.
Is it only a 20 sec delay with this feature?
Many Thanks John
Johnn -

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Real Time Network - Is It Worth Subscribing Too?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »
Hi There,
I am just curious to get other peoples opinions on the real time network feature that has been recently released.
Is it only a 20 sec delay with this feature?
Many Thanks John

No, there is no delay at all, but the Network data is refreshed every 20 seconds.

This compared to the delayed Network data that is 5 minutes delayed and refreshes on the screen every 30 seconds.

Is it worth subscribing ..... oh yes it is!

OKC-Steve

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
If you use your receiver for local spotting, it probably will not be useful.  If you want to see what's flying over Saarbruken (etc), then it will be right up your alley.

Allocator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 08:29:44 PM »
I disagree - there's a surprise :-)

Although I do occasionally watch traffic on the other side of the world, I'm usually watching traffic within 100 miles of my location so that I can listen to the radio chatter on my scanner.  What the Network does for me is to give me enhanced coverage, especially coverage below my normal line of sight.  Also, the new live network does mean that if I'm in a location where I can't get an antenna up - like in the office on mobile broadband - I can just watch Network traffic using the RB as a 'dongle' to make the software work.  The only disadvantage is the 20 second update rate instead of the 4 second rate I normally use for live (antenna) traffic.

Edit:  Here we go, 100% real-time Network traffic only, updating every 20 seconds :-)  Hardware processing turned off.  I could be in an underground bunker with an Internet connection and still see the same picture - lol
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 08:38:56 PM by Allocator »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 08:38:15 PM »
Yes, I also find the real-time network great for filling in the gaps in my local coverage.  Seeing aircraft on the ground at Inverness, for example, where my own coverage stops at about 1000ft ASL.

eggplant

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
I haven't tried the free trial yet - think I'll wait until I have a few days off work, and try it then. I agree with tarbat that filing in the gaps locally is an advantage. I am near heathrow and can see half of the Bovingdon stack, so I guess it would be handy for that - for obvious reasons the 5 minute delayed network is no help in this regard. I probably wouldn't gain much other benefit from the live network , so for me...is it worth the money just to allow me to see the complete stack. Probably not to be honest. I may change my opinion after trying the trial. We'll see.

Tarbat - Do you find the transition of flights from your own coverage to/from real time network seamless ?
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:22 PM »
Tarbat - Do you find the transition of flights from your own coverage to/from real time network seamless ?

Almost seamless.  You need to reduce your hardware timeouts to the absolute minimum to get the best transition.  A couple of videos showing the transition during beta testing - albeit with the 30 second network and too long hardware timeouts - are on my Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiLcJhjaOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJOHvQ4Bbw

Allocator

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »
tarbat, what are you using for your timeout settings?  I'm using:

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
I drop hardware timeout to 23 / 7 when using the real-time network.

I have suggested to Airnav that RB could ignore the hide timeout when using the real-time network.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:18:32 PM by tarbat »

eggplant

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
Thanks for the videos - the transition looks pretty good I think.
Everything about Airnav is fantastic. Airnav can do no wrong. Airnav is perfect. Airnav is divine.

Fenris

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 10:44:10 PM »
I drop hardware timeout to 23 / 7 when using the real-time network.

I have suggested to Airnav that RB could ignore the hide timeout when using the real-time network.

Sounds like it would be sensible to treat hardware timeouts differently when the network is enabled....

Fenris

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »
A couple of videos showing the transition during beta testing - albeit with the 30 second network and too long hardware timeouts - are on my Youtube

Those seem pretty good Tarbat, I am quite impressed even with the wrong settings and 30 second updates.

Jeremy

• Jeremy
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:17:06 PM »
Can those in the know please clarify and publish the recommended timeout settings for Myflights and Real-time network.
I am sure others would benefit from leaving the settings at default.
J.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

radarspotter10

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 02:40:56 AM »

Almost seamless.  You need to reduce your hardware timeouts to the absolute minimum to get the best transition.  A couple of videos showing the transition during beta testing - albeit with the 30 second network and too long hardware timeouts - are on my Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiLcJhjaOA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJOHvQ4Bbw
hi tarbat.
first video is really good, i like it, might go for it myself after seeing that.
from pat

Canonjohns40D

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 11:23:50 AM »
Hi  I'd second Jermy's request re time out settings if anyone can assist please? The real time is superb so any suggested settings to assist/improve this would be very welcome.
 I love how the fliights move from Network to my live cover now brilliant.

John
Hi I'm John... and I'm a Radarbox User. I'm based in Bangor Co Down Northern Ireland.