AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments - 2  (Read 32928 times)

Dermot

Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments - 2
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »

Dermot: "I totally agree that the Beta version should be available to existing "delayed Network" subscribers free"

This is exactly what is happening. The Beta V3.06 is available for free for everyone.

I understand that the Beta version V3.06 is available to download free, however I also note that after the initial 7 day trial period that existing paid up subscribers to the delayed network must pay more for the Beta version of the Realtime Network Data. If the software for the Realtime Network Data is a Beta Version, then it goes without saying that the Realtime Network data concept is also Beta.
I don't  think that AirNav appreciates the investment its customers commit to providing Data to AirNav for re-distribution/ Resale. Have AirNav ever considered paying or rewarding its subscribers for Data sent to the AirNav servers, which in turn AirNav charge both Commercial and Non-Commercial customers for this same Data?
I don't want to sound over critical of AirNav and overall I think the RB is a great product, and I have recommended it to several people. But the concept of reselling subscribers data somehow doesn't sit that well with me.

radarspotter10

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »

I quite understand your point of view and in most parts of the world RB has the best coverage, but despite what you claim, PlanePlotter is free once you have paid the small fee and while it does not have all the features of RB it does have some that RB does not have.

As you point out, it is everyone's free choice, but please don't say there is no such thing as a free network, because PlanePlotter does provide it.  I use SBS, RB and PP so I am very able to compare all three products and as I have stated before on this forum, each has its own advantages.

Cheers
M
qf1
How do you work out that PlanePlotter is free i had to pay for it.
and what do you get when you do pay for it, yes the network, that all i got.
from pat

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
I think that the issue of sharing data and what is done with it has been done this one to death already and I can't see what is to be gained by going over it all again.

There were requests for AirNav to provide a trial period of the real-time data and they have done that.  It seems fair that if you want to keep using it you have to pay for it.  If you were on a subscription service for delayed data and wanted the live data instead, I'm sure I read a post that AirNav would sort out the subscription so that you were only paying one subscription and not two.  If you had been around when the Network was first launched, you would have seen that the proposed charge was significantly higher, with 'credit' being given for time you shared data.  When the price of the Network subscription was slashed, the concept of 'credit' was not longer relevant.

As for the concept of real-time data being beta, I don't think that this is the case as the Network has been running very successfully for a long time now.  OK, the software might be beta, but it's has one heck of a wringing out by the beta team so I think that it's pretty solid, but the beta tag just gives that warning that there might be issues to be addressed when all users have access to it.

QF1

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:21 PM »
Hi Pat

I am not sure what you are paying to PP.  As I said, once you have paid the very small fee at the start, all of the updates and network are provided FREE.
If you already have the RB or SBS for local traffic, then PP is fine for looking at other parts of the world for a lot of people.

CHeers
M
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:17:11 AM by QF1 »

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 01:17:14 AM »
The 1 year free of delayed network that comes with any RadarBox is maintained.

Where the hell do you get it was provided free I paid over £400 for my box are  you now trying to tells us we only paid for the box and you did not take in to account the price of the software for 12 months?

Why should we have to pay for beta software?

So if I pay extra for up to date software are we also going to asked for even more money for the 3D version?  If so I would wait until then becuase once you sign up for the real-time data for 6 months you are locked in for that period then come next month and you ask for another €59 for 6 month you have just wasted 5 month real time data contract.

So before I update have you got a price for 3D now so we can take that in to account now please

Puddy
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2009, 01:27:08 AM »
Puddy: we are not sure if you properly read our posts. Please do so so we don' have to repeat ourselves post after post.

In resume: you don't have to pay for beta software not even for any upgrade.
Just download it from our servers for FREE.

Actually we never charged for any of the several upgrades that have been released during the last 2 years. Please let us know if any confusion persists.

Network access is an addon service to your software. If you like it subscribe it. If not than just keep using the software for free, forever, on your own computer receiving local flights.

Regarding RadarBox 3D: it is not an upgrade, it is a different product.

FlightChaser

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 03:12:11 AM »
@ Puddy you bought your Airnav Box with v 2.01 software I guess, which is currently still the supported stable software from Airnav. The beta software is provided free for anyone to download. You have the choice to use all of it's features or not, or go back to V 2.01. When V 3.06 or whatever goes final release it will still be free to Airnav Box users. Whether you decide to use some new features is up to you! Otherwise the software will still provide what you originally paid for.

FlightChaser

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 03:21:24 AM »
Airnav as a company has communication problems, and they can come over, non customer focused, which is still a major problem, which still needs to be  sorted out!
Also Airnav is keen to blame detractors as working for the opposition! Which is not the case!

vaio

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
Airnav as a company has communication problems, and they can come over, non customer focused, which is still a major problem, which still needs to be  sorted out!
Also Airnav is keen to blame detractors as working for the opposition! Which is not the case!

Cannot wait to see how much they are going to charge for googles software embedded in theirs.

MikeC

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:28 AM »

I have been constantly accused of working for the competition (which I am not) and being a Vulture (not sure about that?).

But to be fair to AirNav, it quickly clarified the position on the live data sharing OPTION.  What it was, how to get it and the cost.

Nothing has been taken away from existing customers (of which I am one) who now have an option to see shared live data (network permitting).  AirNav has also taken on board suggestions for a free trial and converting outstanding delayed data subscriptions.

Running a network server has costs and the market will determine if the subscription is priced correctly.  For those who want a low cost, stand alone live network, there's always PlanePlotter or the closed user group, free networks operated by competition customers.

On this one, AirNav, in my opinion, has been open and fair and to be congratulated.

Give the guys a break as this is still a beta release.

bratters

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »

I have been constantly accused of working for the competition (which I am not) and being a Vulture (not sure about that?).

But to be fair to AirNav, it quickly clarified the position on the live data sharing OPTION.  What it was, how to get it and the cost.

Nothing has been taken away from existing customers (of which I am one) who now have an option to see shared live data (network permitting).  AirNav has also taken on board suggestions for a free trial and converting outstanding delayed data subscriptions.

Running a network server has costs and the market will determine if the subscription is priced correctly.  For those who want a low cost, stand alone live network, there's always PlanePlotter or the closed user group, free networks operated by competition customers.

On this one, AirNav, in my opinion, has been open and fair and to be congratulated.

Give the guys a break as this is still a beta release.

Speaking as one who doesn't always toe the party line, I totally agree with you on this one.

Fenris

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:25 AM »
Agreed Mike, it is clear that Airnav have been listening and working hard on this. There are bound to be wrinkles as the new version hits more hardware and use patterns.

Real time networking is a very nice development, it will probably need some tweaking to perfect but as you say, the market will decide if the price charged is viable.

bearcat

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
Well said Mike, I totally agree

Stewart

gleff

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2009, 12:48:26 PM »
Can someone tell me how the realtime network works in terms of which aircraft gets shown on the screen when two or more people follow the same aircraft.  I don't recall getting the question answered last time I asked.

Basically, i'm curious how it decides who's data to show.  If several people are following the same aircraft, everyone will have different lat and lon co-ordinates due to every person getting the info at different times.  How does the network display the aircraft?  I tend to lose the location data often due to my location and i'm concerned that the aircraft will jump all over the place due to different sources of data as it jumps from local to network, and or, different people.
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 01:12:13 PM »
Can someone tell me how the realtime network works in terms of which aircraft gets shown on the screen when two or more people follow the same aircraft.  I don't recall getting the question answered last time I asked.

It wouldn't matter - everyone uploads the current position the aircraft is transmitting, when you connect every 20 seconds you would get the latest location data.