anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments  (Read 47474 times)

puddy

• Puddy's Homepage
Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
I purchased my box in may 09 are airnav now saying they want €15extra a month on top of the price I have already paid for my box + 12 month 1st year software?

And when 3d comes out will airnav then be saying they want another €15 a month on top of  extra €15 a no time delay month + the monthly subscription as well

This is getting very expensive

€30 subcription a month for 3D and none 5 min updates + the normal monthly sub on top of that as well it wont be that far of €45  a month  I cannot afford that

Can I ask airnav to reply to this post only so I dont get confused and get a straight answer please

Puddy
Radar Box & AOR8200 mk3 scanner
South Lincolnshire near Boston (UK)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
That is why I asked my question. I recently paid for another year but 3.06 is not allowing me access to the network. I have tried turning the Firewall off for a period but it still does not  work. Can I please have some assurance that by paying in August for another year I am allowed to use 3.06 and what could possibly be stopping me from doing so.

Regards

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:24 AM »
Why don't you be really honest and say 'we have found a way to charge our customers extra'

Now that's being both unfair and naive.  Businesses survive and grow by offering more value to customers.  As a customer, you have the ability, and the right, to judge how much additional value live data represents, and how much extra, if anything, you would be prepared to pay for it.

How much it costs AirNav to provide live, as opposed to delayed, data is completely irrelevant.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Roadrunner

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2009, 11:32:59 AM »
Airnav,

I have just plugged my box into my laptop showing 3.1 and it immediately went onto the network showing 815 records. So what can I do. Turning the firewall completely off did not change anything and also chaning the settings to allow outbound and inbound data for the program did not either.

Regards

radarspotter10

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2009, 11:38:06 AM »

I see the usual criers are back, did not take long did it.
FROM PAT

MrT

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
Sorry guys,

As a new user, I'm somewhat confused. When I started ferreting around regards the Airnav RadarBox (less than a week ago) All I could see was references to this 5 min delay and the 'security issues' that dictated this.

Now, less than a week later, Airnav are offering a 'Live' data feed.

I have just purchased the RB and have yet to register it. (Still un-opened in the box).

Will I get the 'live' data feed for my first 12 months ? How does this work for brand new users about to register?

Cheers,

Paul.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:47:18 AM by MrT »

bratters

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
For what it's worth, my first year is nearly up and I had decided NOT to pay a subscription for Network.

This morning when I initially read about realtime network I had a re-think and decided that I would be prepared to subscribe. However now that I've learnt that the cost has doubled, I'm back to thinking NO network subscription for me in future.

That's a customer lost and I reckon I'm probably not alone thinking along these lines.

MrT

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2009, 11:50:35 AM »
Looking at the un-opened box with the $800AUS price sticker on and having read some of these comments,  I'm starting to wonder if I've been taken for a mug.

Maybe It's just as well I haven't yet opened the box.

And whats happened to this 3D version ? I thought Airnav would be too busy with that to worry about beta version whatever and live data ?

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:54:33 AM by MrT »

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:27 AM »
The real-time data and the 20 second update rate works exceptionally well in the busy airspace around London Heathrow :-)  The transition from Network to Live (bearing in mind that the Network is now 'live' too) and back again works very well.  Watching the Heathrow rush hour - although it's busy pretty much all of the time now - and listening to the Heathrow Director and TMA controllers on my scanner, really shows the difference the real-time data provides.

Tarbat posted some kinks to the transition here on the forum and that is exactly what I've seen.  The real-time network data is just what I have been waiting for since I purchased SBS-1 on this promise over 3 years ago!  Although I see people here saying that they are not interested in traffic 'outside their area', they are overlooking the fact that the Network could significantly improve their coverage WITHIN their area.  Without the Network, I can see traffic in all 4 London holds and I can watch the traffic being fed into Heathrow and climbing out for departure.  With the Network, I can watch the same for Stansted, Gatwick, London City and if I want to look a bit further, Birmingham.  I have the altitude filter in to block out anything above 15,000 ft and the map only zoomed out to 50 miles or so - sometimes much less.  So ALL this traffic is in 'my area' but without the Network, I wouldn't see half of it.

So, thank you AirNav for achieving my dream of real-time data and overcoming my disappointment with my previous box, purchased for GBP 499 on the promise of network data.

As for the cost, it's a simple choice with no 'making the customer pay more for the same'.

- Only watch live traffic picked up by the antenna - FREE

- Watch 5 minute delayed Network data - free for the first 12 months, then a low monthly payment

- Watch everything in real-time - pay a higher monthly fee.

It's all about having the choice to do what you want, and I like that ;-)

EMA

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »
Looking at the un-opened box with the $800AUS price sticker on and having read some of these comments,  I'm starting to wonder if I've been taken for a mug.

The product you purchased has not changed unless you want real time network which you knew you were not getting when you purchased. I don't see how they have taken you for a mug?

vaio

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »
Why don't you be really honest and say 'we have found a way to charge our customers extra'

Now that's being both unfair and naive.  Businesses survive and grow by offering more value to customers.  As a customer, you have the ability, and the right, to judge how much additional value live data represents, and how much extra, if anything, you would be prepared to pay for it.

How much it costs AirNav to provide live, as opposed to delayed, data is completely irrelevant.
Now who is being unfair?
As to calling me naive an ad hominem atttack? You are not being very nice.

I called you on your assertion about server costs, to which you did not reply.

As far as your last sentence re. irrelevant costs, please re-read you original message:

Quote from: AirNav Support on Today at 11:14:12 am
vaio,

1.) This is a beta release not a full release.
2.) The network subscription is not expensive when you realise the servers required to keep this running and the very large network demands.

The choice is yours, we haven't switched delayed off and forced everyone to pay for the Live one.

Also to quote you "Businesses survive and grow by offering more value to customers." You have stretched the meaning here too, maybe if you had said ' 'more products' (instead of value) the reply would have been more genuine.
I understand that it is in your interest to (forgive me) screw your customers and you are doing a grand job telling us how wonderful you are. The fact remains you disingenuous original 'press release' was designed to obscure the reality of the network price hike. (Don't believe me?  look at the posts on this thread, look how many do not understand what you attempt to do).
The simple fact is, by your veiled insult to me, you have shown to all how much you really CARE about your customers.

MrT

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »

The product you purchased has not changed unless you want real time network which you knew you were not getting when you purchased. I don't see how they have taken you for a mug?

Just got that opinion from reading some of these posts.

And what's with this live data anyway? From what I read just days ago (old posts on this site) the reason for the delayed data was for security reasons which I figured related to the current 'mass paranoia' ala 911 ??

Roadrunner

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 11:58:49 AM »
Airnav,

I have just plugged my box into my laptop showing 3.1 and it immediately went onto the network showing 815 records. So what can I do. Turning the firewall completely off did not change anything and also chaning the settings to allow outbound and inbound data for the program did not either.

AirNav,

Just an update, after spending 20 minutes looking through all the possible settings in the ESET firewall, and by changing one without really knowing what it would do - I have got the Network back.

Sorry for not believing you when you said it was firewall earlier....:-)

Regards

Mike

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 11:59:55 AM »

I agree, now if AirNav had just announced new hardware that made your RadarBox obselete, then you would be right to feel hard done by.  As it is, you can download the free software updates, use your free 12 months of 5 minute delayed Network traffic - or even subscribe to get the real-time data!  Looks like a win-win to me :-)

vaio

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 12:03:13 PM »

I agree, now if AirNav had just announced new hardware that made your RadarBox obselete, then you would be right to feel hard done by.  As it is, you can download the free software updates, use your free 12 months of 5 minute delayed Network traffic - or even subscribe to get the real-time data!  Looks like a win-win to me :-)

Free? you paid £400 for the free software...