anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments  (Read 47258 times)

gleff

Re: RELEASED - AirNav RadarBox Real-Time Network - Comments
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 07:46:48 AM »
I think a couple of points need clarifying for those of us who don't fully understand the implications.

How does  a user take advantage of this "real time" network?  It would seem it is a pre-requisite to have v3.06 installed - then what?  Is there a new sign-up procedure?  Is the first year without further cost?  Will our existing user details be sufficient to use this new version? These are questions we need to have firm answers to.

Also, is this TRUE real time throughout, or merely extrapolated projection?  Not a criticism, just asking.

DC

My understanding is it's exactly as it was before.. except it's real time, instead of delayed 5 minutes.. Eg.  You access it the same way, still get the first year free, and still requires a subscription to continue after the first year.

That's how I understand it.
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

Deadcalm

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:54:46 AM »
Ah, but do us users of 2 years standing or more get this first "free" year, or do we have to pay from the outset because we've already had a "free" year initially?  I would have thought important details like this would be disseminated to existing users on this forum in simple to understand terms.

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »
The customers who already have had there free year won't get an extra one to use this service. As this is a beta we haven't fully decided whether we can offer a trial for the Live network for customers who have already used up there time.

Our intial requirement is to confirm its all working fine.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Fenris

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »
The customers who already have had there free year won't get an extra one to use this service. As this is a beta we haven't fully decided whether we can offer a trial for the Live network for customers who have already used up there time.

Our intial requirement is to confirm its all working fine.

So are you saying that, if we are still within our first year, that the beta provides the real-time network?

One aspect that interests me is how to compare what you see on the screen with real-time vs delayed network. Such an ability to view both separately (on a trial basis) would then enable the user to decide which subscription to purchase once their 1st year of network use is over.

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »
You'll know if you're using the real-time network by the network connection icon:

I've clearly done something wrong, though I'm not sure what - here's 3.06 running, but still with the 30-second update interval and no indication of the network being real-time:

What else do I need to do ?

This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Spaice

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 08:24:40 AM »
What about the map display, does this provide trail lines that are unbroken or does it show as a dashed line indicating delayed data?

gleff

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 08:31:05 AM »
Just got a quick question about how the network works..  If two or more people are tracking the same aircraft, which one is displayed on the map?  Eg.  we all have different position data, some have lost the position data all together, who's aircraft position data is used/shown on the map?

The reason i'm asking is I have a location issue whereby my SBS-1 tends to only keep aircraft for short periods of time.  I've ordered a RB this morning and up until this announcement wasn't going to use the network simply because I didn't believe a 5 minute delay had any point.  Now that it's real time, it changes the whole dynamic and could solve my losing of position data all the time.
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

Deadcalm

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:34:54 AM »
It's customary for existing users of a product to be offered preferential terms for any upgrade or cost-incurring change, will that apply to this product?

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

DaveReid

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 08:39:14 AM »
What about the map display, does this provide trail lines that are unbroken or does it show as a dashed line indicating delayed data?

I don't have any trail lines showing, but looking at LHR traffic on the network compared to my SBS (and to looking out my window!) tells me that I'm still seeing 5-minute-delayed network traffic with 3.06.

AirNav ?
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 08:41:02 AM »
I've clearly done something wrong, though I'm not sure what - here's 3.06 running, but still with the 30-second update interval and no indication of the network being real-time:

I think you may need to subscribe, but the page referenced doesn't have the details for the "Personal" realtime network (only the personal delayed network, which is free for the first year).

http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=3481.msg33497#msg33497

RadarBox Network Real-Time Access:
Semi-Annual - EUR € 59.95 per 6 months
Monthly - EUR € 14.95 per month
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:43:25 AM by pjm »

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »
Many Thanks Airnav
To the people that have purchased this subscription, do you think its much better than the 5 min delay?
Cheers John
Johnn -

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 08:47:23 AM »
AFAIK, your account needs to be "flagged" as a real-time network account.  During beta testing Airnav activated it on my account to enable beta-testing, so I'm guessing that:

1. By default, you'll still be on the delayed network.

2. If you pay the real-time subscription, then you'll get the real-time network.

And yes, it's as real-time as possible.  It gets data from the Airnav server every 20 seconds, and their server gets real-time data from Radarboxes on the network.  So the display could be around 20-25 seconds behind real-life.

In testing, I found the Airnav real-time network was more up-to-date than another flight sharing network, which I used for comparison.  The transition from hardware to network flights works very well, but you may need to reduce your hardware timeouts to get the best from the real-time network.

Some example transition videos on my Youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEJOHvQ4Bbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiiLcJhjaOA
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:51:38 AM by tarbat »

DaveReid

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 08:56:44 AM »
AFAIK, your account needs to be "flagged" as a real-time network account.  During beta testing Airnav activated it on my account to enable beta-testing, so I'm guessing that:

1. By default, you'll still be on the delayed network.

2. If you pay the real-time subscription, then you'll get the real-time network.

Well I'm looking at a page (www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/order.html) that's telling me I get free access to the network for a year, then I can pay my 14.95 Euros per month for continuing access to real-time data.

So where do I sign up to get "flagged" as a real-time network account for the remainder of my free period ?

And, no disrespect intended, but shouldn't AirNav be answering basic questions like this themselves ?

EMA

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 09:01:52 AM »
Hi Dave

I have the same problem with the Real Time network and I was a beta tester so it's not just you that cannot use it. ;-)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
So where do I sign up to get "flagged" as a real-time network account for the remainder of my free period ?

My guess is that you pay your £14.31 per month, and get the real-time network.  No mention of a "discounted" price during the first year.