anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: South coast  (Read 4515 times)

Jeremy

• Jeremy
South coast
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Why is it that I see so little traffic,even on the network, of flights going into Southampton and Bournemouth? Is it that there is no local coverage although I see one RB in the area or is it the commercial flights using those airports do not have mode-s?
Jeremy.
G4DOQ
QRZ.com

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: South coast
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:45:09 PM »
I suspect that the aircraft, although they probably have Mode S and should appear in the aircraft list, are not transmitting the ADS-B position information.

What airlines/aircraft fly the commercial flights into these airports?

Yellowshrek

• RadarBox Mid Devon 12NM from EGTE
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »
I know Flybe use Southampton a great deal but do not use ADS-B position info. However Ryanair and Tui use Bournemouth and do register.
So many trails not enough time!

Paulc

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
Flybe use Emb 190's & DHC8-Q400's into Southampton (or Eastleigh as known to locals) and these types do not have ADS-B equipment fitted. Do not see many other Embraer or Bombardier aircraft show on the map either - crj's etc.

Johnn

• Y'ello
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
I am a few miles from bournemouth, I only see  around 4 flights a day going to bournmouth etc, - & my range is not excellent, around 80 miles all round.
John -
Johnn -

NickJackson

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
Can we do a quick poll to see where you guys have your RB's located to assess coverage in the south.  I'm about to buy and am in Blandford.

Nick

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 05:40:02 PM »
Can we do a quick poll to see where you guys have your RB's located to assess coverage in the south.  I'm about to buy and am in Blandford.

Bear in mind, though, that no matter how many RBs there are in the area, you won't see on the network any of the non-ADS-B aircraft that they are picking up.

As for your own likely reception, that's dependent also on how high you are, and the buildings and topography immediately around you.  You could end up having much better (or much worse) reception that someone 5 miles away from you.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

nortonbeak

• RadarBox MVT7100 PCR1000 M0NBK
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 06:00:13 PM »

Nick

Locations of users are mapped (not entirely accurately) here

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php

t1mb0

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:42:04 AM »
Ryanairs regularly picked up into Hurn, sometimes down to 0ft from my position about 30 miles east,  seen the occasional TOMxxx flights also.
My advice if you're in Blandford and what to know whats flying about, buy an RB!
Charters into Exeter and EZY/KLM into Bristol also proliferate, as well as the masses of traffic streaming across the channel and inbound from the west into the UK and europe.
12m SE of EGHI

jannuh

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
Locations of users are mapped (not entirely accurately) here

http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/network2.php
Not entirely accurate is just a little exaggerated..   ;-)

Positions are derived from your IP number, my provider is based in Amsterdam, but I'm living 150 km from Amsterdam, but only 50 km. from Düsseldorf-Germany.
So the card is more rubbish then anything else!!

jannuh
p.s.: have entered my exact position in RB

Paulc

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
T1mbo - am close to Winchester if that helps with your query