anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thinking of buying RadarBox  (Read 14902 times)

MrT

Re: Thinking of buying RadarBox
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2009, 05:40:36 AM »
Hey Gleff,

I think I pinched the last one in stock that you were going to buy :)

I thought so too but then it arrived a couple of days later so they must have found one ;)

Awseome eh? Best money I've spent in ages. Although a better antenna is on the cards.

My antenna is in the computer room and I have a 2 storey house on one side, that doesn't help.

gleff

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »

Awseome eh? Best money I've spent in ages. Although a better antenna is on the cards.

My antenna is in the computer room and I have a 2 storey house on one side, that doesn't help.

I actually bought the following antenna from the UK and got it shipped here. 

http://www.ssejim.co.uk/26-sseads1090sj.htm

I've got it mounted on my balcony railing (I live in an apartment building in Sydney).  I'm facing other office buildings and have very very little sky visible so when I ordered it I thought it was a major gamble thinking it probably won't improve things.

Boy was I wrong.  While my polar diagram shows it's very directional, in one particular direction, I regularly pick up aircraft close to 400klms away (That's the furthest I've picked up.. I usually lose the signal at that point).  The antenna is brilliant.  And i'm not using any mast amplifier or anything.  The only thing I did do, is order some Westflex 103 cable from the UK as well.

Couldn't be happier with the results.
http://www.flighttracker.gleff.com - based in Sydney, Australia

MrT

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2009, 05:56:08 AM »
Sounds great gleff,

I imagine you are quite high up too ?

400k is a fantastic result.

Can you get westflex cable here in Oz ?

gleff

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2009, 05:58:21 AM »
Sounds great gleff,

I imagine you are quite high up too ?

400k is a fantastic result.

Can you get westflex cable here in Oz ?

I'm actually not that high up.. i'm on the 13th floor but the ground floor is on floor 9 so realistically, not that high.  Having said that, the fact i'm completely surrounded by buildings you would think the signal would suck. 

I couldn't find anywhere in Oz to get the westflex cable so I ended up getting it from the UK. 

MrT

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2009, 06:02:01 AM »
Thanks Gleff,

Amazing results considering the buildings.

Just had a quick look at that site. What plugs would I need to order for each end of the cable ?

gleff

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2009, 06:41:14 AM »
Thanks Gleff,

Amazing results considering the buildings.

Just had a quick look at that site. What plugs would I need to order for each end of the cable ?

The antenna has an 'N' type Female socket.  If you order the patch cable from him as well, it's a tiny 20 inch cable that has an 'N' type Female plug on one end, and the SMA connector on the other end which plugs into the RB.  Then all you need is a good quality cable such as the Westflex 103 cable with 'N' type Male plugs on both ends.  It's a pretty thick cable.  The patch cable to due to the size of the SMA connector and the fact it's more flexible.

Essentially, from the antenna with a Female N connector, you plug in a cable with a Male N connector.  The other end is also a Male N connector which plugs into the Female N connector on the patch cable.  The patch cable then plugs into the RB with the SMA connector.

Word of advice though.. if you're going to buy a good antenna like this or any other, don't skimp on the cable. 

MrT

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2009, 06:49:12 AM »
Thanks Gleff,

I'll look into that.

Cheers,
Paul.