AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aircraft dropping off - reception issue or something else?  (Read 11076 times)

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
Re: Aircraft dropping off - reception issue or something else?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »
You could try using Overflight Logger to map your coverage, and identify the full extent of the "missing" area.  That will give you a coverage chart like this:

Available from a link at http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/SBS/Utilities/Kinetic_Utilities5_Utils.htm
and http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robinsonfizz/misc/

It's near the bottom of the page!!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:55:59 AM by tarbat »

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 11:34:54 AM »
I've been watching the network in the NZ area, but never see any aircraft.  Do you have sharing turned on?

DaveReid

• Heathrow last 100 ADS-B arrivals
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 12:22:36 PM »
It also doesn't explain why aircraft in the same rectangular area remain invisible when the radarbox is at a different location (i.e Auckland Airport rather than my house).

A different location will only affect which aircraft are within range and which aren't.  Otherwise you should see the same aircraft on the screen, in the same place, regardless of where you are - RadarBox doesn't contain a GPS so it has no idea where it's located.
This post has been scanned for any traces of negativity, bias, sarcasm and general anti-social behaviour

Fenris

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 12:48:14 PM »
I've been watching the network in the NZ area, but never see any aircraft.  Do you have sharing turned on?

Of course he does, unless he turns it off every time he starts the software! ;-)

airdata

• Airdata
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2009, 06:16:25 AM »

90% of the aircraft around Auckland do not have ADS-B so you won't see much.  In fact the most I've seen at once is 8.  Don't forget that New Zealand is GMT +13 now so night here is daytime in Europe.  So if you want to see the NZ activity you may need to be up in the middle of the night.....  The sharing is turned on for those of you....
Under the flight path, 5NM from runway 23L threshold at Auckland (NZAA), New Zealand.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 06:31:34 AM »
seems to be a bit of action there now :)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »
I wonder if the proximity of the other 3 other airports to the north of Auckland  (15-25NM) - i.e. (Woodbourne (NZWB), Hobsonville (NZHB), North Shore (NZNE)) , has something to do with this, i.e. that planes leaving Auckland are steering clear of the area....

That and the fact that NZAA is pretty much an east/west runway.

airdata

• Airdata
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I wonder if the proximity of the other 3 other airports to the north of Auckland  (15-25NM) - i.e. (Woodbourne (NZWB), Hobsonville (NZHB), North Shore (NZNE)) , has something to do with this, i.e. that planes leaving Auckland are steering clear of the area....

That and the fact that NZAA is pretty much an east/west runway.

The other 3 airports have virtually no traffic.  NZWP is Whenuapai NZHB is Hobsonville and NZNE is North Shore/Dairy Flat.  Whenuapai is a military field and gets a couple of IFR movements per day.  The the other 2 are VFR aircraft only.  I can assure you that traffic does overfly these other airports.  In fact many aircraft heading north would almost directly overfly Whenuapai...
Under the flight path, 5NM from runway 23L threshold at Auckland (NZAA), New Zealand.