anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trip to America  (Read 3127 times)

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
Trip to America
« on: September 22, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
Hi everyone,

My 7 year old grand daughter is about to go to America on a three week trip and is writing a journal about all her experiences, starting from the trip out there. She flies from Heathrow on UAL919 at 12:00 Sunday 26th September 2009. I want to be able to record as much of the flight as I can but with my limited coverage I might just get the first 30-40 minutes. Is there anyone that can help me with recording files to cover a bit more of the flight.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am posting on other forums as well.

Mike

Tramline

Re: Trip to America
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Whereabouts are you located?  I'm 2 miles South of LHR and quite happy to run my RB and share the coverage.  I normally pick them up at about 500 feet off the RWY.
Located 2 miles South of LHR.

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:45 AM »
Tramline,

I am in Stevenage so tend to pick up Heathrow traffic but I will be recording anything that happens to be around at the time.

Hawkeye

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
Hi Roadrunner,

Don't know how far out it would track your flight but try 'FlightTracker' :- www.ifly.com/
Type in flight details shortly after it's departure time and it should show current position and afull  'Trail Line' of travelled route.
Just tried an example, being ACA855, and attached s/shot. Sorry it's a bit blurred but had to reduce size due to forum limit

Regards

Syd

airdata

• Airdata
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 03:38:52 AM »
Best record of the trip is to take the radarbox in the plane and turn on the laptop.  It will receive the aircraft you're sitting in and sometimes other aircraft as well.  I did this recently on a Paris - Singapore flight and it quite interesting to see what's flying around you and of course you know exactly where you are without needing to look at the flightpath.  The limit is battery life unless they have laptop power.
Under the flight path, 5NM from runway 23L threshold at Auckland (NZAA), New Zealand.

dl1812

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »
Hi Mike,

When my Wife & eldest Daughter flew to New York, I used the Radar Box network to follow it until the signal was lost over the Atlantic.
I then used "Flight Aware" to track the flight across the Atlantic, then picked it up off the US Coast again via the Radar Box Network.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for ?

I've added a link below to Flight Aware for UA 919 so you can see if it's any help.
Cheers
Dave

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL919

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and I am sure that I will be able to do one/all of them, except record from on board - as I am not lucky enough to be going with her :-(

I was hoping to record it from home but the record facility only records own traffic and not network traffic.....

Mike

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 11:58:14 AM »
Mike, another option, you could use Planeplotter to record the flight (use the AVI out feature).

If her flight heads north over Scotland, I'm happy to start a recording.  Maybe post a reminder on this thread on the day itself.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 12:03:40 PM by tarbat »

Roadrunner

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:35:40 PM »
Tarbat,

Thanks for the suggestion re PP. Will have to check that out by running a test and see what it looks like. Thanks for the offer will see how we go Sunday.