AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AirNav or the other one? Potential purchaser's views.  (Read 3237 times)

landyman

• IC-706, UBC3500XLT, ANRB.
AirNav or the other one? Potential purchaser's views.
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
I am considering buying one or the other, but not yet decided.

I've just been reading the thread about 3D and unfinished long term requests.

Is this market just bringing out 'Eye candy Soccer mom' features to enhance the sell ability of their products?

I did not read to the end, but there were a number of posters who said that they would probably look at 3D and then revert to 2D.

I would expect that I would join that trend.

I use Google Earth, but only at home as mobile internet is too expensive and not available in sparsely populated areas.  The return on investment is too low for the phone companies.

I looked at GE in 3D and never use it.

I'm a long term user of OziExplorer, which has also introduced a GE view.  Again only for use at home and there are many negative comments.  Mainly, why?  -  I can't see the point !!!

I've just bought another GPSr and it's got 3D maps - or 3 distortion, as I call it.  It defaulted to 3D and one of the first things I did was to switch to 2D.

Make 3D an extra option that  can be bought later.  OK have it in the standard release, but it expires after 30 days unless paid for.  That way everyone can try it out and pay for it if they want it.

Companies need to attract new customers, like me.  So AirNav attract me.  One very strong selling point is that all software upgrades are free to existing purchasers.  I don't want to pay extra for insignificant changes, but a new major feature like say 3D, but not 3D in GE, I would expect to pay for the upgrade.  Let me download an upgrade with the new feature active only for 30 days, unless I pay for it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:56:52 PM by landyman »

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
Re: AirNav or the other one? Potential purchaser's views.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
Hi Landyman,

Firstly when comparing us to the competition have a read of:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/forum/index.php?topic=606.0

Note that the competition doesn't have a similar post or comparison for a reason.

The 3D version will be seperate and details are still being decided on how it will be promoted and we have taken onboard your comments.

Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

GlynH

Re: AirNav or the other one? Potential purchaser's views.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
Hi Landyman,

You have to take any manufacturers comparison with a pinch of salt - they are only likely to highlight features that they have but the competition doesn't.

I am sure I could think of 20 things that SBS-1 has but RB doesn't for example...

Like you I was looking to buy one or the other about 14 months ago now.

I posted a thread - one in each manufacturers forum - and he response I got here was more than encouraging...I won't bore you with the response I got over there...:-/

I think the biggest thing for me was simple - the display.

When I looked at the SBS I just couldn't understand what I was looking at - see examples here;

http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=970.0;attach=385

http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=970.0;attach=387

vs.

http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1066.0;attach=447

http://radarspotters.eu/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1066.0;attach=449

The network feature is a great feature to have but I for example never use it - I am only interested in what my own antenna can see but it is there if you want to check further afield.

I feel the same as you about 3D - I never use it on either with my TomTom or Audi SatNav as I find the 2D display to be much clearer.

Unfinished long term requests can be a contentious issue IMHO there are some fundamental things that were promised and really should be in there by now but as is always the case with software one mans meat is another mans poison!

In AirNav's defence however at least they do actively develop their software unlike the competition (what's it been...3 years now and almost no official input from Kinetics themselves other than to throw threats of law suits around or to deny the Company going into receivership)

That's not to deny Chris & Co. from ML&S any credit as they do support the product 100% and are able to demo the SBS properly unlike W&S...God forbid anybody going to W&S to look at a RadarBox. If I had seen their RadarBox 'demo' before I purchased it would have pushed me towards the competition...crappy display and all...

Although I do not always agree with AirNav (understatement) I appreciate they are here, they listen, they reply and they take an active part in developing their product for the better and I am glad I chose the RadarBox at the outset.

I understand there is no such thing as perfect software but at least here I have an active voice and direct contact with the manufacturer - even if they tell me I am treading on thin ice from time-to-time! :-)

It's a great system and in my opinion can only get better and this forum is a terrific resource staffed by the Manufacturer and knowledgable users.

There are those in here who own both systems having bought the SBS-1 initially and then replaced it with the RadarBox when it came out so may be better placed to answer any technical comparisons between the two.

I have never heard of anybody who bought the RadarBox first and then went over to the SBS although that's not to say there isn't.

I don't regret my decision for a minute - oddly in fact I genuinely feel sorry for anybody who buys the SBS-1 over the RadarBox. I know that sounds patronising but it is after all only a personal opinion!

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-