anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Hardware?  (Read 28998 times)

FlightChaser

Re: New Hardware?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 12:31:10 AM »
Glyn I agree a more robust antenna connection is a must. Preferably an N type antenna connector, even if it involves a bigger RadarBox. The patch lead must involve losses. Ethernet is a feature I want on the RadarBox. But as the box is software controlled, it's unlikely to happen!

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 07:44:34 AM »
I did the 'self help' If I do want to access RB remotely, I use the free version of LogMeIn which works fine. 

Gary, don't you have any issues when you log on remotely and the screen resloution changes to match your remote PC?

LogMeIn is excellent in that it allows you to choose the quality and definition of the viewed screen including full screen and multiple monitor viewing.  Of course, if you remote monitor your 22 inch screen using a Netbook, then everything is going to look a bit smaller - lol  However, you can view 'actual size' which does mean that you are only looking at a 'window' on your remote, but you can scroll around easily.

Give it a try - LogMeIn is free for what we want to do,  The pay version allows you to do much more like drag and drop files and remote monitor audio - this is good when you are controlling a radio remotely too, but too expensive for casual use.  You get a period of free access to the pay package until the trial ends, then it reverts to the free LogMeIn.

VK2GEL

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »
+1 for ethernet.

I can't believe Airnav think ethernet is not worth including, especially as the competition have it.

Regards, Grant www.qrz.com/db/vk2gel

Allocator

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 01:06:43 PM »
I think that AirNav said something along the lines of Ethernet was not a high priority at the present, not that it wasn't worth including.  I'd rather see them concentrate on the software than diverting their effort elsewhere.

Regarding the completion, there is a significant price differential and you can only buy the box with Ethernet, so everybody has to pay whether they want the Ethernet option or not - same goes for their built in radio chip - you pay regardless.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:09:52 PM by Allocator »

Aerotower

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »
SBS-1eR

The SBS-1er is an affordable and light-weight Mode-S/ADS-B receiver that decodes transponder signals from aircraft. Included in the SBS-1eR is an Airband AM receiver and FM Stereo radio allowing the user to listen to ATC and aircraft, decode ACARS (using almost any third party package) or listen to FM radio.

Can you (Airnav) made this to?

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 12:36:35 AM »
The answer is simple: who knows if we are already doing better than that?
RadarBox 3D has just been announced and in terms of hardware...

Regarding your point we don't like to comment this on our forum for "fair-play" reasons but as you asked:
- Airband receiver: it is just that, a receiver, not a scanner. You cannot scan the airband and as far as we know you need to buy a costly external software addon for it to work. You can buy a cheap airband receiver for USD$80 so why the upgrade to SBS-1eR when it is so limited in features?

- Ethernet as reported by our dealers is of no interest for 99% of the users (despite an interesting feature for more experienced users);

- ACARS Decoder: we have one for years available on our site and at shops for a very cheap price compared to a full SBS-1 upgrade (software based and easy to use, with more than 2000 users now);

Anyway we believe that they failed to describe the differences in terms of software between RadarBox and SBS-1 (and that is where the real differences are - you simply cannot compare the quality of both products and real world sales say it all).

We have them listed below:
RadarBox vs Basestation - One on One Comparison Table
AirNav RadarBox vs Competition - Complete Analysis
Why AirNav RadarBox - Leaflet

We are not trying to create an "Airbus vs Boeing" war here but the above are simple clear facts about both systems.

Deadcalm

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:42:58 AM »
"...- Ethernet as reported by our dealers is of no interest for 99% of the users (despite an interesting feature for more experienced users);..."

Where did you pluck that figure from?  I bet you there's more of an interest in ethernet than there is in 3D - have you got any figures for that?

DC

Go around, I say again go around...

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:20 AM »
I bet you there's more of an interest in ethernet than there is in 3D - have you got any figures for that?

I guess it really comes down to what features are likely to appeal to new buyers, so that Airnav can sell more Radarboxes.  Surely that must be what any company would do - develop features that will sell more units.

In the current PC market, 3D is a key feature.

WiMo

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:53 AM »
- Ethernet as reported by our dealers is of no interest for 99% of the users (despite an interesting feature for more experienced users);

As a dealer of both boxes, I have a different feedback from customers. Admitted, the German market is certainly different, but still...

... and real world sales say it all).

As a dealer of both boxes... erm, ok, of course I won't divulge sales figures, but I wonder where you get the data you are refering to :-)

Rgds,
Ekki

Fenris

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
I bet you there's more of an interest in ethernet than there is in 3D - have you got any figures for that?

I guess it really comes down to what features are likely to appeal to new buyers, so that Airnav can sell more Radarboxes.  Surely that must be what any company would do - develop features that will sell more units.

In the current PC market, 3D is a key feature.

I wonder what you base that last comment on Tarbat? Personally I am unsure whether it would be a key feature.

At present, the comparison between the two competing systems is skewed by the lack of development of the software from the competition. If I were to buy a replacement for my RB now I would be stymied by the lack of ethernet support on the RB and by the lack of software development on the SBS-1. So actually I would not purchase a replacement until this is resolved.

If I were a new buyer, I might be tempted to wait until the hardware is roughly equivalent!

It seems to me that the combination of wanting to be able to take a laptop to somewhere you can physically view the aircraft and for the RB itself to be physically located near to its antenna, which for best coverage etc will not be the one supplied with the box, means that a networked connection instead of USB would be an ideal approach.

radarspotter10

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 10:37:47 AM »
hi all
This so called air band receiver, only picks up the low air band,  its missing all the frequency's for the military air band,  people like the red arrows and do not forget about the military display teams,  i have been into the air band radio for the last 45 years this type of receiver can be got at any outdoor market  for £9.
Please do insult my intelligence by saying its a air band receiver.

And a big thanks to airnav for taking the time to discuss these things with us in there forum, 
and thanks for updating the software and keeping us informed about the beta tests, and a lot more.
from pat

AirNav Support

• AirNav Systems
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »
We can tell you that from the requests sent to support, we have had very few mentioning ethernet or airband radio (or even wireless). 99% of the requests are software based anyway.

Out of those a vast amount said would be nice to have it linked with a Google Earth Style 3D map. Some of the requesters went on to say it would be great to view the sky as you can view from your window and be able to quickly point out what is what. (I am sure those of you spotting outdoors, this would be a great feature)

A lot of the active forum members must realise that while there are those who know the ins and outs of ethernet, wireless etc.. there is still a vast (silent majority) who don't and are happy.

The forum does skew towards those with experience of computers, the support queries we get sometimes even say we didn't want to post on the forum as didn't want to look silly.

Hope that explains a bit.
Contact Customer/Technical support via:
http://www.airnavsystems.com/contact.html
[email protected]

Fenris

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
It's your product Airnav, but if I don't mention my opinion then it won't get heard.

I am quite prepared to believe that things are not as they seem to us here.

If ethernet were put in a future product, it would need to be cheap enough not to discourage people from purchasing that don't need it or it would need to be an add-on module that would allow a user upgrade to be done.

Allocator

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 02:59:34 PM »
I'm sure they can if you want to pay an additional GBP 100 ;-)

I've already got a number ao airband scanners so I don't need a single frequecy radio chip in my RadarBox.

Allocator

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
Posting on my Blackberry - can't keep up with the thread!