AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: COMMENTS: Announcing AirNav RadarBox 3D  (Read 37794 times)

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
Re: COMMENTS: Announcing AirNav RadarBox 3D
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2009, 03:15:25 PM »
VirtualRadar: like we said before we have not yet decided on what to do commercially with RadarBox 3D.

>All upgrade to the SBS-1 are free

I'm sorry but we totally disagree with this. In one year Kinetic/ML&S struggled to create new hardware packages with minor changes to keep theSBS-1 project afloat (Mk2, Ethernet and AB) and none of these were free. Actually there is not even an upgrade price in them and the a user that wanted to use any of them had to pay more than GPB 400 each time.

If you are talking about software then Kinetic/ML&S are still selling SBS-1 the old, outdated Basestation software which didn't have a real upgrade for more than 3 years.

mt007

• PGAv - Portugalia Airlines Virtual
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2009, 04:07:42 PM »
Hello friends,
I think that it would not be necessary to pay any more because of having it 3D.
I think that it should be a complement to a radarbox, eat for example the images of satellite.
It is my opinion, of course.
Thanks.
Regards.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:24:06 PM by mt007 »
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
Hello friends,
I think that it would not be necessary to pay any more because of having it 3D.
I think that it should be a complement to a radarbox, eat for example the images of satellite.
It is my opinion, of course.
Thanks.
Regards.

That is a nice idea, but if somebody has spent time developing it, then time = money!  AirNav is not a charity and therefore the company has to make a profit otherwise all the updates we have had so far will stop.

Would you work for free?

Deadcalm

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2009, 05:14:18 PM »
Yes, but did anyone actually ASK for 3D ?

DC
Go around, I say again go around...

Allocator

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »
Yes, but did anyone actually ASK for 3D ?

DC

But surely, if you don't want the 3D display, you don't purchase the upgrade?  You just keep using the 2D software.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
But surely, if you don't want the 3D display, you don't purchase the upgrade?  You just keep using the 2D software.

Although the danger (for Airnav) with this approach is that they'll need to continue support for 2 versions - the 2D and 3D versions.

Until Airnav Flightwatch comes along I guess.  Maybe that's the upgrade they should charge for?

GlynH

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
Now I an happy to have somethng for nothing but at the risk of being shot down I believe AirNav should charge a token price for the upgrade.

I for one would be happy to pay a reasonable charge if I wanted the 3D option.

I mean all of the RB upgrades to date have been free but shouldn't there be some reward for the additional time above & beyond that?

That sounds fair to me...those that want it pay a fee and those that don't...don't.

Having said that I wish the time spent on the 3D - that not many people will be using by the sound of it - was spent adding some of the great features that have been requested for over a year now and increased stability to the app.

As always AN are caught netween a rock and a hard place because if the competition have something similar and AN don't then that could mean lost sales for RB and ultimately we would suffer as a consequence.

Just my 2c worth you understand...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Allocator

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2009, 05:54:09 PM »

Although the danger (for Airnav) with this approach is that they'll need to continue support for 2 versions - the 2D and 3D versions.

Until Airnav Flightwatch comes along I guess.  Maybe that's the upgrade they should charge for?

So what is the answer here then?  Expect the company to continue to offer upgrades for free - but don't expect them to develop the software/hardware beyond a certain point where they might need to charge for it?  And what is that point, where do you stop?

It's a difficult one, and there is no way that everybody is going to be happy - not unless everything is free and that's just unreasonable.  I've done work for people looking after their PC's and it does get to the point where you have just had enough doing it for free, but you don't feel you can ask them for money as they are friends.  If you ask for money they get upset, if you stop helping them they are offended - it makes you just not want to bother.

Mind you, I have worked for beer before, but the top tip is not to drink it while you are actually working on the PC - lol

mt007

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi Allocator,
Airnav already earned enough money with the sale of the radarbox.
And it is not because of adding more an addon what it is going to lose, on the contrary, even he will gain more clients.
Radarbox is a reference mark and much more people goes buy it.
Regards.
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

Allocator

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »

Airnav already earned enough money with the sale of the radarbox.

So how do you work this out then?  Do you have inside information or are you just guessing.  I'm not sure that a one-off purchase entitles you to lifetime support and free upgrades :-0

mt007

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 01:13:33 AM »
Hi Allocator,
Do not get upset with me.
It is only an opinion.
Also I do not agree with the payment of connection to the network and i pay every month.
Therefore I think that of addons it would not be necessary to pay this type.
Regards
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

AirNav Development

• AirNav Systems
    • AirNav Systems
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 01:25:05 AM »
Mt007: you are free to use all available SBS-1 addons with RadarBox. They work without any problem.

Regarding network access: don't forget that you get data from the only worldwide existing and professionally maintained ADS-B network. We believe that the price (5 EUR per month) don't make any difference to anyone.

Even if you decide that the network is not for you the application will work forever without any extra payment needed (just like our competitors product) - with the exception that we have been releasing free updates for the last 2 years with hundreds of requests from our users implemented (unlike our competitor that hasn't had a relevant upgrade for the last 3 years and relies on addons of external parties to be afloat).

We believe it is difficult to make more for our customers.
Anyway and as always expect more work from us, more releases, more updates and always improving our existing products.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:30:18 AM by AirNav Development »

mt007

« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 01:28:23 AM »
Hi airnav,
i know that.
Thx.
But i prefer airnav products.
Regards
Miguel Teixeira
Oeiras, Portugal

marcdeklerk

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 06:33:35 AM »
My opinion : a small fee for 3D version
just fair I think, offer if as an upgrade, you want it you pay for it
thanks

abrad41

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 06:47:19 AM »
I think the 3D should have a small fee for upgrading, but I would like to see the upgrade with the option to switch between 2D & 3D.

Each user then has the choice of which one he would like to use.

Andy