AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airnav & Vista  (Read 19480 times)

Bigyun2000

Airnav & Vista
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:32:51 PM »
Hi all.
I seem to be having the old "ANRB NOT RESPONDING" error.  Any ideas how best to install onto Vista Premium please.

Have tried uninstall and re-install with v3.01 beta and still same error.

Thanks
Tony

Brimon

Re: Airnav & Vista
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:40:44 AM »
I have been running the RB on Vista for a few months.The only problem I have is when running the RB & surfing at the same time.If I quit surfing it takes the RB down with it.

As far as your problem is concerned do you have the User Account Controls on or off. If they are on turn them off in Control Panel> Users.
Chasing the heavies from a secret bunker in Scotland

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
Best advice is to install ANRB in a separate folder instead of accepting the default folder location.  That will avoid all the Virtual Store problems.  Use something like C:\AirNav Systems

Then make sure you have an exception setup in your virus scanning for this folder.  I use this exception in MSE:

I wouldn't advise turning off UAC.  Just make sure that you give your Vista user account admin privileges.

Bigyun2000

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
Hi guys.

Still getting the same problem.  It will run ok then all of a sudden it will stop working.  I am getting rather annoyed with it now.

I have uninstalled again.  Deleted any registration in regedit.  Re booted laptop, re-installed to c:\AirNav Systems.  Turned off UAC

ANY FURTHER HELP PLEASE?
I was hoping v3.06 would sort this out.

Thanks
Tony
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:09:53 PM by Bigyun2000 »

Fenris

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
Hi guys.

Still getting the same problem.  It will run ok then all of a sudden it will stop working.  I am getting rather annoyed with it now.

I have uninstalled again.  Deleted any registration in regedit.  Re booted laptop, re-installed to c:\AirNav Systems.  Turned off UAC

When you say stop working, do you mean that it loses contact with the hardware? I have seen that a few times, but basically I've been running 2.01, 3.01 and 3.06 under Vista Home Premium since January and not had any real problems beyond the known issues. I have an installation outside the virtual store and have an AVG exception for the Airnav directory tree.

I take it you've been and altered the power settings to avoid USB ports going to sleep?

Wayne

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:47:11 AM »
Out of general interest, what is the big problem with accepting the default location for Windows Vista ? It's just that it seems frowned upon but I really can't work out why.

Been using RB since January 2009 and have always accepted the default location for each upgrade I have done and have never had any problems with running the application. I am not running the Beta version.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:37 AM »
Out of general interest, what is the big problem with accepting the default location for Windows Vista ? It's just that it seems frowned upon but I really can't work out why.

It just complicates things.  If you install in C:\Program Files in Vista, then anything that Radarbox updates, such as the database, photos, etc. gets put in the Virtual Store.

This then confuses people when they want to backup their databases, or change outlines, logos, flags, silhouettes, etc.

I've lost count of the number of threads where I've had to explain Vista's Virtual Store to people who are trying to backup/restore databases, update outlines, etc.

Radarbox runs okay under Vista in C:\Program Files, but it's easier if you install elsewhere.

Wayne

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 12:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the explanation Tarbat.

I have thought about changing the install location when the next release comes out of beta but one final question if you don't mind - if I installed to a directory outside the virtual store would I have to re-install drivers or would it be sufficient to direct the software towards the new directory path ?

Wayne

Bigyun2000

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input.  

I still keep getting "ANRB NOT RESPONDING" error.  It seems to run fine then all of a sudden thats the error i get.

I am running an HP Laptop with AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core QL-62 2.00Ghz with 3GB RAM Fully up to date Windows Vista Premium.

Airnav installed to c:\AirNav Systems.  Turned off UAC

Have Kaspersky running but have given Airnav permission.

So i am at a loss.

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 02:59:57 PM »
Wayne, no need to re-install drivers.

Wayne

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Thanks very much. Will use a non virtual store location when the upgrade comes out of beta. I have to admit I find it difficult to find the two database files mylog and navdata as I don't seem to have the appdata directory in the virtual store path.

Wayne

Roadrunner

• Aviation enthusiast since school visit to Heathrow
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:52 AM »
Thanks very much. Will use a non virtual store location when the upgrade comes out of beta. I have to admit I find it difficult to find the two database files mylog and navdata as I don't seem to have the appdata directory in the virtual store path.

Wayne

Wayn,

I have all my programs in a C:/Mikes Toys directory (ANRB, PP, SBS) and all works very well. I have also told my Eset fire wall to allow an exception for virus checking "My Toys" which allows then all to load up quicker.

Regards

Mike

Bigyun2000

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
Hi all.
OK I tried running with ANRB in Win XP compatability mode.  Guess what.

Running for 10 mins until i opened Internet Explorer the wham bam "ANRB NOT RESPONDING" error.

:(

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »
OK I tried running with ANRB in Win XP compatability mode.

Why?  ANRB doesn't need XP compatability mode.

On my Vista Home Premium system, it runs fine in normal Vista mode.  No need for compatability mode, no need to run as Administrator, no need to turn off UAC, etc.

Fenris

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
OK I tried running with ANRB in Win XP compatability mode.

Why?  ANRB doesn't need XP compatability mode.

I think he's trying to show that this does not happen under Vista itself, but then without knowing how close to XP functionality the compatibility mode is it's hard to be sure what is happening.