anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ACARS indicator randomly missing  (Read 1645 times)

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
ACARS indicator randomly missing
« on: August 29, 2009, 09:40:20 AM »
Not sure if this was introduced in the current beta as I only just started using the AirNav ACARS software, but it certainly affects this beta version.

Does anyone know why RB doesn't display the ACARS indicator ("101110100") for one plane it has received ACARS data for, but it does display the indicator for another different one?.

In the screenshots below ACARS data has been received by RB for both a China Airlines plane and a Qantas one, but it is only displaying the indicator for the Qantas one.

GlynH

Re: ACARS indicator randomly missing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 05:07:03 PM »
Also on the ACARS tab shouldn't you be able to click on an entry and have it highlighted on the map like you can from MyLog?

I never noticed this before so can't say if it is something new or not. pjm?

Not really something for the RB Beta forum as it concerns ACARS Decoder but I would rather air it here as I wouldn't want AirNav to think I am constantly complaining(!)

By way of 'comparison' I ran ANAD vs. WiNRADiO ACARS decoder both being fed from the WiNRADiO and noticed @  twice as many messages being reported in the WR decoder compared to ANAD.

I realise that ANAD hasn't had an update for for between 5-8 years although the WRAD looks like it has been around a while also.

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
Also on the ACARS tab shouldn't you be able to click on an entry and have it highlighted on the map like you can from MyLog

I've only just started using the AirNav ACARS program because I wanted the integration with Radarbox, so can't comment on previous versions of RB.

I must say I'd have thought RB would be making much better use of the ACARS data than it does. There is an enormous amount of info I'm getting here, which is just discarded totally by RB, even though if the same info was received from the RB hardware it would be displayed.

I also just started playing with PlanePlotter, its ACARS decoder is MUCH more sensitive than the AirNav one (although at a cost, of some garbled data). I am also really impressed how PlanePlotter will display the plane location on its screen from ACARs GPS data - Obviously not a moving display, but the info is there (sometimes) WHY doesn't RB use it???

(sorry for the long rant!) :)

GlynH

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:35:19 AM »
I think mailnly because ANAD is the long lost cousin twice removed of ANRB and hasn't been updated for some time?

When AN gets some time (ha!) it does need to look at ANAD and improve everything including its tired interface.

Simple things like adding the total number of aircraft transmitting ACARS data on the tab like MyFlights, Network, SmartView etc. to allowing it to work correctly with virtual sound card devices like that from WiNRADiO

Anyway this is probably the wrong time & place to discuss ANAD.

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-