anything
AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Am I the only one with slow menus & crawling PC here?  (Read 9794 times)

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
Re: Am I the only one with slow menus & crawling PC here?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:40 PM »
Ah, right :-)

I though that maybe you were running RB using the standard antenna in the basement - lol

Still seems a bit low - I'm running at 965 aircraft today so far.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:04:35 PM by Allocator »

EMA

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 08:04:19 PM »
I think Glyn needs to downgrade to vista......................

His problem might just go away.

GlynH

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 09:56:22 PM »
Well I might have to downgrade to SBS-1 as the menu issue has reared its ugly head again.

I really am sick of it...

What do you guys use to capture screen video and post to YouTube?

-=Glyn=-

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 09:58:19 PM »
Okay, I saw you ask about Vista, so thought I'd mention the more obvious cause for slow performance in Vista.

Some other thoughts:

1. What File System is the drive/partition where RB is installed formatted as (NTFS, FAT32, etc.)?

2. Do you have the Indexing Service turned on for that drive?

3. Is the drive or RB folder compressed and/or encrypted?

4. Is the drive or RB folder shared on your network?

It does sound more like an I/O rather than a CPU bottleneck.  What's the disk drive?  How is it formatted/partitiioned?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:05:20 PM by tarbat »

Allocator

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2009, 10:06:50 PM »

What do you guys use to capture screen video and post to YouTube?

I use FastStone Capture, a shareware screen capture and recording program.

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Then I just use YouTube's 'upload' function.

pjm

• RadarBox Beta Testers
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »
I use FastStone Capture, a shareware screen capture and recording program.

I've been using FastStone capture for years, never knew it recorded video as well!
Maybe time for an upgrade :)

GlynH

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
OK...trying out Camtasia as a fully featured screen capture program...oh the price...

My menus are now worse than ever...from looking at the video my gut feel would be graphics card driver corruption or similar.

However out of the hundreds of programs I have on my PC ANRB is the *ONLY* one that exhibits such behaviour.

You can see what I am up against here;

http://www.screencast.com/t/LMsV31EAcd

As I said this is particularly bad tonight - why I don't know as I have just binned 16,000 aircraft and am now using a clean database with only 771 contacts in it.

The sleepy pointer I see  a lot in ANRB (along with delayed reaction highlighting & opening) but rarely do I see such corruption as I am seeing tonight.

I can however navigate MyLog with no stuttering and after a reboot even the menus are as they should be for the time being...

Regards,
-=Glyn=-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:14:56 PM by GlynH »

Allocator

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 06:35:54 AM »
Glyn,

Looks like you have a lot of stuff going on in the System Tray at the bottom right of the screen.  Do you really need all these running - each one will slow down Windows a little bit.

EMA

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:08 AM »
That takes me back to my slow menu issue but for some reason I no longer have that problem.

Can you try zooming in a little closer on the map so fewer aircraft are visible, then see if the menu performance improves. I know my issue was linked to the map re-drawing when lots of aircraft were visible.

Also switch the map off and see what happens.

Kevin

GlynH

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 07:53:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys,

Allocator: If my CPU was an Intel Atom I could understand maybe if some tasks were slowing it down. If I quit ANRB then I have 99% idle time on the CPU. None of those are resource monsters and although I don't really need all those running I would like them running! When I finish building my new 1U rack machine then one or two may migrate to the new machine...compared to most machines I see my tool tray is modest ;^)

From left to right;
Screen capture software
Mailwasher.. Does nothing apart from check for mail once every 10 minutes
Cumulus weather program. Reads console every 50 seconds. Uploads once every 5 or 15 minutes.
Windows wired network icon
Panasonic PhotoFun. Does nothing unless camera is connected.
Logitech Setpoint for keyboard/mouse. I have had problems with this in the past.
Windows Home Server Connector. Does nothing unless backing up or logging on.
Apple MobileMe.
MSSQL Server. Used to monitor telephone system but not being used currently.
Logitech QuickCam. AGain like most Logitech software I have had problems in the past.
Lantronix UBox. Used to connect RB in the past and also for WiNRADiO
MS ActiveSync. No longer used to connect iPAQ so could go but does nothing unless iPAQ connected.
Avast! AntiVirus. Have set exclude for RadarBox folder.
Two Epson printer monitoring apps. Printers rarely turned on these days but do little unless printer active.

I have tried disabling all of these in the past for RB (not that I should need to) but in any case as I said every other program on my PC - including some heavyweight & well-known resource monsters give no adverse effects whatsoever.

EMA: Memories...:-/

OK...I have zoomed in to England and opened Task Manager to show activity while flicking around the menus.

http://www.screencast.com/t/nHQG1TMpYUNE

Just so you know I don't spend my time w*nking my mouse pointer up & down menus but it is a good example of what I mean when I talk about slow menus.

Here is a another screen capture of me scrolling in MyLog. Please bear in mind this is faster than what I am used to as I am now minus some 16,000 aircraft having started from scratch again.

I have kept the left mouse button held down continuously to show how jerky the scrolling is both when scrolling a page at a time, manually dragging the slider and finally line by line.

http://www.screencast.com/t/hcDfxTz5T

Was this what you used to see Kevin?

I won't mention at this stage the strange things ANRB does with windows, requestors etc. but just so you know TaskManager is set to always stay on top which it does everywhere else but not when using MyLog!

Regards,
-Glyn=-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:18:14 PM by GlynH »

EMA

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 08:11:09 AM »
It is noticable that when you zoomed in the menus were slow but at least filled in, can you switch your map off and see what happens?

tarbat

• ShipTrax Beta Testers
    • Radarbox at Easter Ross
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »
I still think it's worth investigating your I/O subsystem.  Check file system, indexing, etc.  Do you run any other applications that are I/O intensive (ie constantly writing to disk with logs, etc.)?

On the odd occasion that I've seen menus freezing like this, there's also a lot of disk activity going on.

If CPU is not maxing out, then it might be I/O.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 09:17:17 AM by tarbat »

EMA

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 08:25:57 AM »
When I did testing with Aleksey we found switching the map off stopped the slow menu issue so I am interested to know if the same happens for you.

GlynH

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2009, 06:09:10 AM »
Perhaps a fresh install to a new directory is the way to go Glyn, I also use Avast on one PC with no problems.

I understand your reasons for staying with Nvidia it should not make any difference we are just clutching at straws in the hope your issue gets resolved.

cheers

Kevin

Looks like I am not the only one who is suffering from slowdown...just received auto-notification from AirNav servers that Kevin had posted this reply made 3 days ago - it's 2nd September now!

Even my PC is not that slow...;^)

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
I still think it's worth investigating your I/O subsystem.  Check file system, indexing, etc.  Do you run any other applications that are I/O intensive (ie constantly writing to disk with logs, etc.)?

On the odd occasion that I've seen menus freezing like this, there's also a lot of disk activity going on.

If CPU is not maxing out, then it might be I/O.

I am not ignoring your suggestion Chris...I just have not got round to trying it yet...work getting in the way...

I do find it hard to believe that a system that can capture live video from DVCam through the firewire port with no dropped frames, edit the same video with frame accuracy, record live audio while playing a stack of MIDI instruments and generally do what it does can run into I/O issues but I will keep an open mind...I don't know what is gping on when ANRB runs on here.

Any suggestions as to the best way to investigate I/O would be much appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-