AirNav RadarBox
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't throw away your old equipment!  (Read 33447 times)

GlynH

Re: Don't throw away your old equipment!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 09:43:10 PM »
I was just using the VR5000 as an example of a 'hardware' receiver...:-)

Sixteen? That's just plain greedy...;^)

That's a shame about CW, RTTY etc. as I now finally have the software to decode them!

I was even wondering if it would be possible to author an XRS plug-in to decode morse signals?

Might be good to decode radio pagers also but I am guessing they are a dead or dying breed also?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

EMA

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 06:55:39 AM »
Sixteen? That's just plain greedy...;^)

That's a shame about CW, RTTY etc. as I now finally have the software to decode them!

I was even wondering if it would be possible to author an XRS plug-in to decode morse signals?

Might be good to decode radio pagers also but I am guessing they are a dead or dying breed also?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I was a radio fanatic, do your remember Hoka Code 5?

As for pagers, gladly they have disappeared from here and so has the mast!

Kevin

CanadaKen

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 03:18:28 AM »
I have a Universal M-7000v6 here....pretty well useless unless you're a Ham. :-(

Ken
Monitoring on Canada's "Left" coast

Terry

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
Hi there Glyn,
                    Must put my 5ps worth in,The Winradio that you have is by far the best PC controlled receiver-decoder etc,etc.,that i have seen and heard to date.Not knocking the other available receivers,but for quality and the ability to go up to i think 16ghz(correct me if i`m wrong Glyn)its in a class of its own.You are still scratching the surface with it,because it has so much to offer over other products at the moment,but when you really start to drive it you will appreciate just how versatile it is,plus new add ons are a click away.Now i will wander off into the sunset probably never to return!Just my opinion having used receivers/scanners for quite a few years.

Regards Terry.

GlynH

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Hey Terry,

How many PC controlled receiver-decoders have you heard then? ;^)

I don't know about 16GHz but you can go to 8599MHz although it comes at a cost and I don't know what would actually be up there - that's three-and-a-half times higher than my microwave oven!

I might actually hear my dinner screaming...;^)

I'm still scratching the surface with it for no other reason because it can be complicated and I can be stupid...:-/

As you know I am debating whether to change it for the G315e - mainly for the Client/Server Option but it seems an awful lot of money...if only it would work on the end of the UBox...

Whichever way I decide to go I really need to sort out a decent HF antenna - I might go down the active route with the WiNRADiO AX-81S...seems like it might be a 'tidier' solution than  a long wire to me.

Catch you later matey.
-=Glyn=-

GlynH

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »
I was a radio fanatic, do your remember Hoka Code 5?

Kevin

No but I remember doing the Hokey Cokey when I was p*ssed...;^)

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

EK01

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Hey Terry,

How many PC controlled receiver-decoders have you heard then? ;^)

I don't know about 16GHz but you can go to 8599MHz although it comes at a cost and I don't know what would actually be up there - that's three-and-a-half times higher than my microwave oven!

I might actually hear my dinner screaming...;^)

I'm still scratching the surface with it for no other reason because it can be complicated and I can be stupid...:-/

As you know I am debating whether to change it for the G315e - mainly for the Client/Server Option but it seems an awful lot of money...if only it would work on the end of the UBox...

Whichever way I decide to go I really need to sort out a decent HF antenna - I might go down the active route with the WiNRADiO AX-81S...seems like it might be a 'tidier' solution than  a long wire to me.

Catch you later matey.
-=Glyn=-

Glyn,
See my thread in the Aviation section (All things HF). There is a website which may be of interest. It gives details on HF antennas, etc. Just click on the main menu.

Cheers,

Ian
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 09:19:18 AM by EK01 »

GlynH

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »
Glyn,
See my thread in the Aviation section (All things HF). There is a website which may be of interest. It gives details on HF antennas, etc. Just click on the main menu.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

I had already seen that one...thanks for the heads-up.

Kind regards,
-=Gyn=-

Allocator

• RadarBox24.com Beta Testers
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »
Playing with the demo version of Spectrum Commander IX from Scanstar to control my PCR1500.  Much more like the sort of thing that I'm looking for.  I've tried this before and just couldn't get my head around it - but I'm doing better this time :-)

Don't like the price though USD 159.97 and that will probably be plus VAT - ouch!

www.scanstar.com

Allocator

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »
OK, had a week playing with Spectrum Commander now and I will definitely be purchasing it when the demo period runs out.  It is very similar in function to the DOS based Probe software that I've been running with my old Pro2042 with the Opto525 board fitted, but running under Windows.

I'll post some decent screen shots when I get some time, but in the meantime here are a few highlights :-)

- Runs LOADS of radios with a PC interface.  I've run it with my PCR2042, the Icom PCR1500 and the AR8000 (with Optolinx interface.)

- Not only can it run these radios, it can run them at the SAME TIME.  I've had the PCR1500 and the PRO2042 running at the same time, scanning different frequency banks, without any noticeable loss of scan speed.

- There are three main interfaces:

--- a typical 'scanner' type view with all the usual buttons.

--- A 'Tactical Scan' screen that shows ALL the channels on the screen at the same time, so it's easy to see activity as a channel becomes active and changes colour.  Active frequencies are 'ticked' so you can see which are live.

--- A small s-meter with frequency and channel information that is always on top.  Very useful and small enough not to hide too much if only using one screen.

- There is a built in web browser that allows you to grab frequencies from the screen and store them in a new frequency bank - it just takes 2 clicks of the mouse - brilliant!

- A frequency/bank/channel editor that makes manual input of frequencies and editing really easy.

- Recording and time/data stamping of received audio direct to hard disk.  With the PCR1500 no extra cables are needed as the audio come into the PC via the USB interface.  Other radios will need an audio lead from the radio to the PC.

- Bandscan and activity scanning - haven't really had time to play with this yet, but it gives a graph of freq against activity.

I just love it, although it's interesting that I did try this a while back and just couldn't figure out how it worked!  The manual is fairly comprehensive, but it does leave quite a lot to the imagination.  I contacted Scanstar to ask about some of the functions and to see if there was 'anybody there' as the last software update was 2008.  I got an immediate answer and an admission that they needed to update the manual.  I still need to get my head around some of the advanced functions, but I've got more than enough to keep me going at the moment.

By comparison, the standard ICOM software is barely fit for purpose, but Spectrum Commander IX has breathed new life into my PCR1500.  I have to admit that the PCR1500 was starting to gather dust and I wondered if I'd got a 'deaf' example as I didn't really hear much, but as always, it's just a case of getting the right frequencies in the right banks.

I've got my frequency banks set up by location - London Mil, London Civil, London TMA, Heathrow, Lakenheath, Cottesmore/Wittering, Coningsby etc.  Changing or adding banks to the scan list is just a couple of mouse clicks.  I'll listen to the civil stuff with Lon Mil also selected and when I get any activity, I'll get rid of the civil scan and add the appropriate Mil banks.

I don't have any affiliation with Scanstar, but I'd be happy to accept a discounted licence if they read this -lol

The 14-day demo is fully functional.  If anybody does try it and runs into problems, let me know and I'll be happy to share my (limited) experience.

Allocator

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 08:12:51 PM »
Those Spectrum Commander screen shots I promised :-)  Running on my Eee PC to free up the 'proper' laptop for RadarBox.

1. Standard scanning screen with channel frequency groups shown below.

2. Tactical display, showing all the frequencies being scanned

3. Scanning screen with frequency history 'hit' list

4. 'S' meter type display - ideal for running on top of the RB window.  The meter window can be resized to just show the top line without the meter.

Allocator

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 08:15:03 PM »
And the other 2 screen shots.

EMA

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:52 PM »
Interesting feedback Allocator, I have now switched from my PCR1500 to the Uniden 785XLT mainly because I swap computers so often.

Allocator

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »
Does the 785XLT have a PC interface?

Spectrum Commander lists the BC780XLT and the 785D in its setup options, but not the 785XLT.

EMA

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
Yes it does have a PC interface